What book should a child read first?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zackabba1
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What book should a child read first?

Post by zackabba1 »

Hey, just wanted to get an opinion on this.

What should be the first book in the bible that a 9 year old child reads (specifically my niece)?

I thought about the book of Mark, but I think that's a bit too long for someone just starting to read the Bible. I'm thinking of one of Paul's letters, but I don't know...
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What book should a child read first?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I'd suggest John. I think a gospel is best.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zackabba1
Familiar Member

Post by zackabba1 »

But do you think that John would hold a child's attention long enough? I mean, what I meant to say in my question is that usually the Gospels, liek Mark or John, are recommended for new Christians...but I'm afraid that they won't hold my niece's attention long enough. She's never read a bible before. If you still think it's right, I'll pray and try it...I just don't want to push her away from it (she already thinks the bible is "boring." Then again, I didn't start reading it until about 3 months ago, when I became a born-again Christian, so who knows)

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

genesis as well
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Honestly, I think children should start with children's books on the stories of the Bible. Of course it's ok for them to read the bible, but I think more is gained in approaching it from their short-attention-spanned mind...as you wouldn't give soda to a nursing infant.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

yeah, I would day a Children's Bible would be useful, although with the Gospels they are told as a narrative so I would think reading them would be ok. I loved my Childrens Bible with the illustrations. I really liked the Old Testament stories in them.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I have a nine year old. I challenged her to read the bible every day for a year. This has turned into our bedtime reading. A real blessing.

Our duty as a parent is Proverbs 22:6
The gospel of John was written for this purpose, John 20:31

Obviously in reading John, there are opportunities to go back into the scriptures and help them understand the God's creation of the world, the fall of man, the holiness of God, etc. There are a lot of plans for children on the internet. Just google, bible reading plan for kids. It is a great idea to study parts that speak to the holiness of God, and the utterly sinful, fallen nature of man. It is critical that we train our children to know God, not as some old man in the clouds with a long beard and cane, but as the Holy, Awesome God that He is. Too often children grow up with this cartoonish worldview of the bible. We show them 'story' books with giraffes poking their heads out of the top of cute little arks. The bible should never be represented like a 'story book' or fairytale. Is it any wonder we have so many who later in life, freak out, when they learn of the wrath of God.

My daughter and I are currently reading through Acts. I want her to understand the history of the church. But we have also read through John, and several other books as well. I have made the mistake of reading certain things to her that her mind is not yet ready to receive. So try to be sensative to where your child is at this moment. I have one young Kindergarten child at church. Great family. I've had his older siblings, very spiritually vibrant. But this young fellow is out in left field. It is not his season, yet. My daughter began asking some very probing spiritual questions at a very early age. Her spiritual age did not meet her actual age. Each child is different, and must be met where they are.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

jlay wrote:I have a nine year old. I challenged her to read the bible every day for a year. This has turned into our bedtime reading. A real blessing.

Our duty as a parent is Proverbs 22:6
The gospel of John was written for this purpose, John 20:31

Obviously in reading John, there are opportunities to go back into the scriptures and help them understand the God's creation of the world, the fall of man, the holiness of God, etc. There are a lot of plans for children on the internet. Just google, bible reading plan for kids. It is a great idea to study parts that speak to the holiness of God, and the utterly sinful, fallen nature of man. It is critical that we train our children to know God, not as some old man in the clouds with a long beard and cane, but as the Holy, Awesome God that He is. Too often children grow up with this cartoonish worldview of the bible. We show them 'story' books with giraffes poking their heads out of the top of cute little arks. The bible should never be represented like a 'story book' or fairytale. Is it any wonder we have so many who later in life, freak out, when they learn of the wrath of God.

My daughter and I are currently reading through Acts. I want her to understand the history of the church. But we have also read through John, and several other books as well. I have made the mistake of reading certain things to her that her mind is not yet ready to receive. So try to be sensative to where your child is at this moment. I have one young Kindergarten child at church. Great family. I've had his older siblings, very spiritually vibrant. But this young fellow is out in left field. It is not his season, yet. My daughter began asking some very probing spiritual questions at a very early age. Her spiritual age did not meet her actual age. Each child is different, and must be met where they are.
That's cool. Not a bad thing at all. However it takes dedication in explaining the difficult things. However, there is wisdomin giving milk and not milk AND meat or just meat to kids. There are exceptions, for sure. :)
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I don't know what Children's Bible you were referring to, but I remember the one I had really helped me to understand the stories. Simply put, Jlay, there are some thing children are ready for with regards to the level of reading. A larger print with illustrations (mine had no cutesy pics of giraffes poking through the ark, thank you very much) is certainly fine.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

BavarianWheels wrote:Honestly, I think children should start with children's books on the stories of the Bible. Of course it's ok for them to read the bible, but I think more is gained in approaching it from their short-attention-spanned mind...as you wouldn't give soda to a nursing infant.
It feels very strange, but I'd agree with Bav on this. Ideally stories where you can draw out the Gospel message.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Kurieuo wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:Honestly, I think children should start with children's books on the stories of the Bible. Of course it's ok for them to read the bible, but I think more is gained in approaching it from their short-attention-spanned mind...as you wouldn't give soda to a nursing infant.
It feels very strange, but I'd agree with Bav on this. Ideally stories where you can draw out the Gospel message.
y:O2

I'm transfering this over to the "abortion" thread! y*-:)
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Not any specific Bible Zoe. There are several approaches to helping a child read the Word. Many good ones. There are sources that present the bible accounts as cartoonish. I understand the approach. They are trying to make it appeal to a child. I think these sources do an injustice in presenting the Word in that way. Having worked in Children's ministry I have used and reviewed a lot of curriculum and material. Everything from VBS, Sunday school, children's worship and AWANA. There is good, not so good, and bad. So, that is why I would be careful in using children's books on the stories of the bible. Review them first, and make sure they don't portray God's Word as fantasy or make believe, or cartoonish. If you've never been to a children's wing and seen the pictures or painting of Noah like I mentioned before, you just need to look a little harder.

For example, in the children's worship series I teach, it has a object lessons, the bible lesson and a life story. The bible story is always presented true to the Word. The life story is much more light and engaging. It involves a picture board story, that pulls in the concepts of that days lesson, and presents them in a form that captures the child's interest. The object lessons help the child understand the concepts in the bible and how they apply in their life.

There are some very good children's bibles out there. The main thing is a child needs to be taught the bible. We wouldn't throw a kid an Algebra book, and say have at it. (I know no one is saying such)
A child's spiritual growth is the prime responsibility of the parent. And the church should partner with the parent to support this growth.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

No disagreements here....my point was simply that there ARE good ones.
patricia39
Newbie Member

Post by patricia39 »

Aside from reviewing the book before you give it to your children to read, you should also teach them what the bad and good books to read. When I was a little child, I always want to read book so until now the book on my shelf is child's book. One of them is the "Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover" by G.G. Toropov. I love this book. Why don't you try it to your kids too?
zackabba1
Familiar Member

Post by zackabba1 »

It;s still hard for me right now, though. She's not my kid or anything; she's my niece. I only get to see her maybe once a month, if that. I'm praying, and it seems like she's more receptive to my message...I just don't want her to grow up as unbeleiving as her mom is...

...but I'm praying for her mom as well, and I've noticed a change in her. She's nicer...but can still use harsh language around her kids (she has two, from two different parents. Her son, my nephew, is my biological nephew. Her daughter is not, but I still take her as one).

Now it's not as much about what book...it's about getting her to know God at all. With the little time I see her, I don't know how. Plus she may be moving to Oregon soon, which will be even harder...all I can do is pray in God's will.