Why are there so many different interpretations of Hell?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Mariolee
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Why are there so many different interpretations of Hell?

Post by Mariolee »

I was reading over different testimonies of visiting hell and coming back, one of which was B.W.'s, and I was just wondering if we can actually trust these supposed true testimonies. The depiction are all so different from each other: with what Hell looks like, with what people are and do in Hell, etc. Doesn't this discredit some of these testimonies, I mean, how do we know if some of these people just went crazy and mental (no offense) and their brain was simply damaged, causing them to fall into a realistic dream and hallucination?

I know this shouldn't affect my faith, and it doesn't since the only evidence I need to truly rely on is the Bible's and its credibility. I'm just wondering about these supposed revelations.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Why are there so many different interpretations of Hell?

Post by B. W. »

Mariolee wrote:I was reading over different testimonies of visiting hell and coming back, one of which was B.W.'s, and I was just wondering if we can actually trust these supposed true testimonies. The depiction are all so different from each other: with what Hell looks like, with what people are and do in Hell, etc. Doesn't this discredit some of these testimonies, I mean, how do we know if some of these people just went crazy and mental (no offense) and their brain was simply damaged, causing them to fall into a realistic dream and hallucination?

I know this shouldn't affect my faith, and it doesn't since the only evidence I need to truly rely on is the Bible's and its credibility. I'm just wondering about these supposed revelations.
Suggest you read them and compare them to what the bible says - even mine.

Next, No, in fact differing testimonies do not discredit Hell at all - they verify it. So you must take the time to read these and compare them to the bible before casting the first stone of disbelief. So I challenge you to do this... compare them to the standard of the bible... quite a task...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

B. W. wrote:
Mariolee wrote:I was reading over different testimonies of visiting hell and coming back, one of which was B.W.'s, and I was just wondering if we can actually trust these supposed true testimonies. The depiction are all so different from each other: with what Hell looks like, with what people are and do in Hell, etc. Doesn't this discredit some of these testimonies, I mean, how do we know if some of these people just went crazy and mental (no offense) and their brain was simply damaged, causing them to fall into a realistic dream and hallucination?

Next, No, in fact differing testimonies do not discredit Hell at all - they verify it. So you must take the time to read these and compare them to the bible before casting the first stone of disbelief. So I challenge you to do this... compare them to the standard of the bible... quite a task...
-
-
-
I will definitely try that out! Thanks.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Mariolee wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
I will definitely try that out! Thanks.
Also one other thing to consider when reading various testimonies of NDE concerning Hell is summed up in this:

If you flew to Paris for a two day visit, toured museums and sites in Paris, then back to the airport to fly home. You did not see France, only limited parts of a city in France. In fact, you did not see even see all of Paris, only small parts of Paris.

The same when it comes to the website you linked too. People see and report of the small areas they have seen of a very big area. So also please consider this as well for the differences...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Hi B.W.

I had a friend who had a very similar experience that you did. He had taken something that he believed effectively killed him and he went on a kind of Divine Comedy experience and saw visions of Heaven and Hell. He said Hell was a place where he just could not stop crying and was so unbeleivably distraught - which fit the description of weeping and gnashing of teeth. He told me about this experience - he said he saw a vision of God touching planet earth and literally saying "that one!" and he felt the love of God. Yet he is still an agnostic and I really do not get it. It frustrates me no end I can tell you. He has been given an amazing revelation and he chooses to do nothing with it.

But I will keep working on him and hopefully the Holy Spirit will step in and do it all for me.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

No, we cannot. Hindus see the Hindu gods, Muslims see Muhammed, Westerns see biblical Heaven and Hell. It's all a matter of culturally-induced perceptions. None of it serves as objective evidence of anything.
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

smiley wrote:No, we cannot. Hindus see the Hindu gods, Muslims see Muhammed, Westerns see biblical Heaven and Hell. It's all a matter of culturally-induced perceptions. None of it serves as objective evidence of anything.
You really do not understand the nature of hell that causes the things you stated to occur...

You will find out the truth yourself all in due time...

Smiley, why do you show so much detestation, insolence towards Christians?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Silvertusk wrote:Hi B.W.

I had a friend who had a very similar experience that you did. He had taken something that he believed effectively killed him and he went on a kind of Divine Comedy experience and saw visions of Heaven and Hell. He said Hell was a place where he just could not stop crying and was so unbeleivably distraught - which fit the description of weeping and gnashing of teeth. He told me about this experience - he said he saw a vision of God touching planet earth and literally saying "that one!" and he felt the love of God. Yet he is still an agnostic and I really do not get it. It frustrates me no end I can tell you. He has been given an amazing revelation and he chooses to do nothing with it.

But I will keep working on him and hopefully the Holy Spirit will step in and do it all for me.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
I sent you a PM about this - let me know...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Smiley,
Have you read BW's experience? It explains a lot about why people see what they deem to be 'their religion.'
It frustrates me no end I can tell you. He has been given an amazing revelation and he chooses to do nothing with it.
Sounds like Lazarus and the beggar. Assuming miracles, visions, etc. will make someone believe is just not true. If so, Pharoah would be our Moses. Heaven knows he had the evidence.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious