Cleansing of sin

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Cleansing of sin

Post by CeT-To »

Is the cleansing of sin the same as the forgiveness of sin?

God bless!

Francesco
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Cleansing of sin

Post by B. W. »

CeT-To wrote:Is the cleansing of sin the same as the forgiveness of sin?

God bless!

Francesco
I think this answers it...

1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." NKJV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Thanx B.W.! nice straight forward answer.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Based on 1 John 1:9, I would say no.
This verse has a condition. If, we confess our sins. Truth is, I've forgotten sins and so they've never been confessed. Does this mean I am not forgiven, and unsavable? Not according to the whole counsel of God.

1 John is clearly a book on the fellowship of the believer. When we sin, as believers, we break our fellowship with the Lord. This verse is not an instruction on how to get saved, but how the saved restore themselves to right standing with the Father.

It is quite a comforting verse, because it says if we (believers) just humbly confess our transgression, that God has already pledged to forgive and cleanse. We can instantly be restored. And how neglected this verse is today. We have so many who are far from the Lord because of sin. They have been rendered ineffective, and thus do not experience their God given calling.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jlay wrote:Based on 1 John 1:9, I would say no.
This verse has a condition. If, we confess our sins. Truth is, I've forgotten sins and so they've never been confessed. Does this mean I am not forgiven, and unsavable? Not according to the whole counsel of God.

1 John is clearly a book on the fellowship of the believer. When we sin, as believers, we break our fellowship with the Lord. This verse is not an instruction on how to get saved, but how the saved restore themselves to right standing with the Father.

It is quite a comforting verse, because it says if we (believers) just humbly confess our transgression, that God has already pledged to forgive and cleanse. We can instantly be restored. And how neglected this verse is today. We have so many who are far from the Lord because of sin. They have been rendered ineffective, and thus do not experience their God given calling.
Thanks Jlay - I forgot to address that part assuming the text was self evident on its on :)
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys