Looking to really understand the Bible

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Sleepykid
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Looking to really understand the Bible

Post by Sleepykid »

Sadly, being something of a pseudo-Christian I haven't read the good book in its entirety. Still, I'm always amazed at tidbits I pick up from sites like this that shed new light on my understanding. For instance, the classic plagues brought upon Egypt weren't just divine muscle-flexing, so much as preplanned attacks on the domains of Egypt's pagan deities. Or which books were meant as poetic/allegorical, and which ones were nonfiction. Things that present the alien culture of the Middle East in a lucid manner.

So, I wanna read the Bible with a book that can help me make sense of it all. Can anyone recommend a good commentary or study guide, or something along those lines? I don't know about learning Hebrew or Greek or something, but if that's what it takes...
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Looking to really understand the Bible

Post by Kurieuo »

Sleepykid wrote:Sadly, being something of a pseudo-Christian I haven't read the good book in its entirety. Still, I'm always amazed at tidbits I pick up from sites like this that shed new light on my understanding. For instance, the classic plagues brought upon Egypt weren't just divine muscle-flexing, so much as preplanned attacks on the domains of Egypt's pagan deities. Or which books were meant as poetic/allegorical, and which ones were nonfiction. Things that present the alien culture of the Middle East in a lucid manner.

So, I wanna read the Bible with a book that can help me make sense of it all. Can anyone recommend a good commentary or study guide, or something along those lines? I don't know about learning Hebrew or Greek or something, but if that's what it takes...
If you're intrigued by this website, then I'd recommend The Genesis Question by Hugh Ross.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Rascus
Acquainted Member

Post by Rascus »

Pray each time you sit down to read the Bible and ask God to reveal to you the mysteries and truths that you are reading. I find that most times when I open the Bible to read that I usually end up reading just what I need to be reading or in someway reading the answers to questions that I have been asking the Lord for answers to. The Bible to me is the Book of life and for sure it reaches out and reveals its truths to you!

Rascus