What if...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FatherTime
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

What if...

Post by FatherTime »

What if you die today, and when you open your eyes in your spirit form, you meet Allah instead of God/Yahweh. What if Allah says "Too bad, I gave you signs, but you ignored them. You chose to worship Jesus as an idol instead of me directly," and sends you to Hell.

How do we know if we are right about our religions? I mean, anyone could be wrong. The Koran teaches that the light of Allah is in all of our souls, and It's our fault if we don't follow it. This is similar to the Christian teaching that the knowledge of repenting to Jesus is embedded somewhere within our souls. All religions claim that they have "proof" and all religions claim that their religion is unique. All religions have arguments against the other ones, and all religions have people with devout faith in them. I was recently on an Islamic website, kind of similar to this site where they gave "proof" and examples of the miracles and prophecies in the Koran that came true. How can we know what religion is the right one?
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What if...

Post by derrick09 »

Hello there, check out this thread that I started on Islam here,
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... lam#p86876

Several people on this gave a lot of good reasons why Islam is false along with a couple of websites that go further into detail. If this doesn't help let us know what specifically is concerning you about Islam or what specific argument or piece of evidence has you concerned? Thank you and God bless.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

You means signs like no fulfilled prophecies? A lunatic, murderous sczhizo as your 'prophet?'

What you might want to do is actually posit some of the signs you reference.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

If Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead, Christianity is a false religion. Since Jesus did rise from the dead, Jesus is God and Christianity is the ONLY belief system that is true. Accept Christianity for what it is or reject it.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

I'd say, "Allah, shush. Cut the chitty-chat and get me to hell, post-haste."
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Of all the belief systems, I would have to choose that one last..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Katabole wrote:If Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead, Christianity is a false religion. Since Jesus did rise from the dead, Jesus is God and Christianity is the ONLY belief system that is true. Accept Christianity for what it is or reject it.
Christianity is the only one that has it's foundation in love.. The rest don't even come close..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
abc123
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by abc123 »

Lets take Islam out of the question. What if you were born into Buddhism or as a Hindu? I am not presenting these religions as better just that the theory of god seems to be a regional belief.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

abc123 wrote:Lets take Islam out of the question. What if you were born into Buddhism or as a Hindu? I am not presenting these religions as better just that the theory of god seems to be a regional belief.
They are all works for your salvation faith... Again Christianity is the only belief system in the world that is making the claim that you CANNOT work for your salvation..

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
abc123 wrote:Lets take Islam out of the question. What if you were born into Buddhism or as a Hindu? I am not presenting these religions as better just that the theory of god seems to be a regional belief.
They are all works for your salvation faith... Again Christianity is the only belief system in the world that is making the claim that you CANNOT work for your salvation..
Actually Gman, I'm going to have to rain on your parade. There are some people who call themselves "Christian" that believe we have to WORK to keep our salvation. They use their interpretation of the bible to back that up.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Probably important to also mention that the Koran affirms the OT, and NT in one part, and then denies it in another by saying Christ never actually died and rose. This violates the law of non-contradiction.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Jlay, Muslims just say that the old testament and the New testament was corrupted by Jews and Christians.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
Actually Gman, I'm going to have to rain on your parade. There are some people who call themselves "Christian" that believe we have to WORK to keep our salvation. They use their interpretation of the bible to back that up.
Oh people take the Bible out of context all the time, but the consensus among mainline Christendom is a workless salvation..

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
Oh people take the Bible out of context all the time, but the consensus among mainline Christendom is a workless salvation..
I agree. I was just playing devil's advocate. The only work involved in salvation is God working in us to finish the work he began.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
rampstew
Newbie Member

Post by rampstew »

FatherTime wrote:What if you die today, and when you open your eyes in your spirit form, you meet Allah instead of God/Yahweh. What if Allah says "Too bad, I gave you signs, but you ignored them. You chose to worship Jesus as an idol instead of me directly," and sends you to Hell.

How do we know if we are right about our religions? I mean, anyone could be wrong. The Koran teaches that the light of Allah is in all of our souls, and It's our fault if we don't follow it. This is similar to the Christian teaching that the knowledge of repenting to Jesus is embedded somewhere within our souls. All religions claim that they have "proof" and all religions claim that their religion is unique. All religions have arguments against the other ones, and all religions have people with devout faith in them. I was recently on an Islamic website, kind of similar to this site where they gave "proof" and examples of the miracles and prophecies in the Koran that came true. How can we know what religion is the right one?
You don't. It's called faith. Some call faith the opposite of reason. What do YOU think?