Anybody read about the "new life" NASA found

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Anybody read about the "new life" NASA found

Post by Swimmy »

Opinions?
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Anybody read about the "new life" NASA found

Post by zoegirl »

huh, can you provide a link? (take pity on me....trying to multitask here)
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Saw an article on it... I don't know much about it so I don't know there's much I can see. Seems weird to me, based on what I read, that people assume so quickly that this is evidence for alien life. To me it doesn't say too much one way or the other about the topic, only that biologists misinterpreted the definition of life.

I'd be interested to see what more knowledgable people would have to say.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11886943

SIlvertusk.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

That's interesting... Maybe I'm missing something, but why does having a bacteria that replaces arsenic for phosphorus evidence that life evolved multiple times on earth?

Also, "At the moment we have no idea if life is just a freak, bizarre accident which is confined to Earth or whether it is a natural part of a fundamentally biofriendly universe in which life pops up wherever there are Earth-like conditions".

Glad that they're taking all reasonable positions into account here - random unlikely accident or random likely accident </sarcasm>
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:That's interesting... Maybe I'm missing something, but why does having a bacteria that replaces arsenic for phosphorus evidence that life evolved multiple times on earth?

Also, "At the moment we have no idea if life is just a freak, bizarre accident which is confined to Earth or whether it is a natural part of a fundamentally biofriendly universe in which life pops up wherever there are Earth-like conditions".

Glad that they're taking all reasonable positions into account here - random unlikely accident or random likely accident </sarcasm>
Because the idea is that IF we see the same pattern throughout all of life, the explanation is that it originated from one spontaneous design....inorporating those six fundamental elements into the organic molecules. To find an organism that has a different fundamental element would essentially reveal a different "recipe" for life.

And if there is a different recipe for the organic molecules for life, then in other previously thought inhospitable environments, we could perhaps expect life using these other recipes.

Thanks for the link Silvertusk....I heard about it on the way home on the radio. Sorry to hear about your IBS....you know you have my empathy....
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Hey everybody... We just found life... On earth!!! Woo hoo.... :roll:

This proves there is life on other planets. :doh: Our tax dollars at work again..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

zoegirl wrote: Because the idea is that IF we see the same pattern throughout all of life, the explanation is that it originated from one spontaneous design....inorporating those six fundamental elements into the organic molecules. To find an organism that has a different fundamental element would essentially reveal a different "recipe" for life.

And if there is a different recipe for the organic molecules for life, then in other previously thought inhospitable environments, we could perhaps expect life using these other recipes.
Gotcha. Makes a bit more sense. I thought I had read though that they figured the bacteria adapted to use arsenic and it didn't (most like) start off that way.
-- Josh

zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Well, that is the debate....would this have been a separate spontaneous similar to the ones postulated (or designed) with phosphate or is this an adaptation using arsenic.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Well for one thing... This supposed "new life" find puts to rest the belief that scientists aren't trying to find the origins of life. No.. Science would never address that.. It's not into "ultimate" questions. Cheeeze. :roll:

Thanks for the more fuel for the fire NASA. And Hawkins book too... :P

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

The next atheists that says that science does not or can't address "ultimate" questions to the origins of life I'm going to pound on them with this supposed find... :evil: :P

derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Here is what the ID people are saying about it

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2010/12/ab ... .html#more
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Re: What if...

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:The next atheists that says that science does not or can't address "ultimate" questions to the origins of life I'm going to pound on them with this supposed find... :evil: :P
Laugh out loud! And you just know it won't be long before you get the opportunity, G!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Alpha~Omega »

What im wondering, is what sort of potential claims will atheist's make against us with this new find? How should us christians respond to this? Surely they will us this as a mechinism to further "prove" macro evolution. What do you guys think? I hope Rich writes an article on this! :o
The Neurotic Saint.
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

Alpha~Omega wrote:What im wondering, is what sort of potential claims will atheist's make against us with this new find? How should us christians respond to this? Surely they will us this as a mechinism to further "prove" macro evolution. What do you guys think? I hope Rich writes an article on this! :o
One prominent atheist's response - http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... d_life.php