Experience with Atheist forums

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Experience with Atheist forums

Post by Telstra Robs »

Within discussions on the board, sometimes an Atheist will come in. Has anyone had experience with registering on Atheist forums?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Experience with Atheist forums

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I did several years ago. Overall, it's not something I would recommend or particularly look to do.

I have a lot of interactions with atheists and people of different spiritual perspectives in the context of other boards I participate on, mostly on my facebook account or boards related to my book reviewing hobby on Amazon.com.

"Atheist boards" tend not to be places that welcome discussion. It's almost like you're entering into their lair as it were and they're waiting for you and it's more about entertainment than real discourse. To be fair, some atheists may feel the same way coming onto a board like this.

I've found I have some productive discussions and interactions with atheists, agnostics and other backgrounds when we begin in the context of something we have in common (like book reviewing) and build a little but of respect and relationship first and then discuss the other elements when we're willing to listen to each other and show some respect back and forth.

Most of the atheists on dedicated atheist boads are militant or so-called "new" atheists and they're just looking for someone to unload upon. I don't volunteer for that anymore and steer clear of them. I suppose if someone I was discussing with invited me to participate in an open discussion I might consider it, but I don't go looking for such boards just for the purpose of getting into an argument. There's too many other opportunities in other venues that to me are just more effective.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by 7777777 »

I signed up for an Atheist site once. I didn't like the site too much because I didn't find too many Christians there. It's no fun reading posts that just bash Christianity. I think most Christians get scared away due to all of the insults. But, one thing I did notice while I was there....some Christians are so ignorant. I mean, even a simple basic question from an Atheist, like, "what do I need to do to get to heaven?". I read so many posts of Christians hemming and hawing..."uh....as long as you're good and serve mankind...". Or, my favorite answer....."I don't know. Only God can judge". I felt like screaming at the monitor, "TELL THEM THEY NEED TO ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST YOU IDIOT!!!". It's truly amazing the ignorance of some Christians on the basic principles of Christianity.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

true...of course, who knows, perhaps those posts are the ones that are allowed :-)
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

I used to argue with Atheists on Youtube quite often but stopped. Ultimately nobody's mind is going to be changed and it just leaves a bad feeling in the stomach. It is especially bad on an Atheist forum where it becomes a 20 vs 1 arguement and it starts to feel like trying to eat your way through a brick wall.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Seraph wrote:I used to argue with Atheists on Youtube quite often but stopped. Ultimately nobody's mind is going to be changed and it just leaves a bad feeling in the stomach. It is especially bad on an Atheist forum where it becomes a 20 vs 1 arguement and it starts to feel like trying to eat your way through a brick wall.
Same here. Once I got in an endless flame war on youtube. (Still getting e-mail saying somebody replied to me.) There must be 10 or so "pages" of just people yelling at me.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Lux Aeterna
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Framework

Post by Lux Aeterna »

I've stopped by atheist websites, but I tend not to stick around because of the sheer amount of anger that just drips off the page. I'm not saying that all atheists are riled up, but many of the atheists I see online seem like they have a chip on their shoulder about Christianity and all Christians.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

I found this place via an atheist forum. I was posting there for a few years when someone pasted my replies over here and I followed, I'm glad I did. I found that site when I was googling for why atheists are atheists, I never figured that out but I did meet some wonderful people I'm still in touch with long after the forum died. I came here in response to an argument and decided to stay to figure out why Christians were Christian, I've not figured that out either but I have met some wonderful people, and I'm glad Jac's back.

As someone who can argue about the same thing with both Christians and atheists I don't see a huge difference between Christian & atheist forums, but I know a good forum when I see one.
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Lux Aeterna wrote:I've stopped by atheist websites, but I tend not to stick around because of the sheer amount of anger that just drips off the page. I'm not saying that all atheists are riled up, but many of the atheists I see online seem like they have a chip on their shoulder about Christianity and all Christians.
Same here. The amount of anger and hate I find on such forums never ceases to surprise me. The amount of swear words proves it. Yet they want me to believe that they are happy and content. Sorry, content people don't get fired up about a deity they don't believe in.
Canuckster1127 wrote:"Atheist boards" tend not to be places that welcome discussion. It's almost like you're entering into their lair as it were and they're waiting for you and it's more about entertainment than real discourse. To be fair, some atheists may feel the same way coming onto a board like this.
I think you're being too respectful towards a majority of their boards. At least that's my personal observation - I have yet to find an "atheist board" that isn't disrespectful towards Christianity. I realize, however, that you're more than twice as old as I am, and experience and wisdom that comes with age has certainly made you more level-headed. I know that when someone attacks my beliefs or something I identify myself with, I usually respond with an even heavier "barrage", to put it figuratively. I don't resort to insults and swearing though, but I don't spend much time defending my Christian beliefs - rather counter-attacking the materialist position, trying to remove the basis for objective judgement within the materialist framework and point out the self-refuting nature of atheistic materialism.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Lux Aeterna
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Framework

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Reactionary wrote:
Lux Aeterna wrote:I've stopped by atheist websites, but I tend not to stick around because of the sheer amount of anger that just drips off the page. I'm not saying that all atheists are riled up, but many of the atheists I see online seem like they have a chip on their shoulder about Christianity and all Christians.
Same here. The amount of anger and hate I find on such forums never ceases to surprise me. The amount of swear words proves it. Yet they want me to believe that they are happy and content. Sorry, content people don't get fired up about a deity they don't believe in.
The narrative I see on atheist websites is that atheism is this enlightened philosophy that would bring peace to the world. Then I see the amount of rage that's associated with atheism and I'm like, yeah, you have a really peaceful thing going here... *backs away slowly*
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Lux Aeterna wrote:*backs away slowly*
Or...
8)
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Another point to consider is that these boards often provide a vent for a cathartic process. Most atheists or agnostics I know, who were Christian for many years previously, went through a period of Dawkins-esque religion bashing before settling down to a more dismissive, as opposed to aggressive, attitude towards religion. If you've been an evangelical pastor for 10 years and come to the realisation that it's a load of sweary words you're going to want to tell somebody, much like those irritating people standing shouting in the street about Jesus.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The thing is, that by the time one JOINS and frequently contributes to an atheist forum, they are often so blind, their hearts so hard, that they make sure their mental filter is continually set to "reject all Christian input, no matter how compelling." So not only will atheists/agnostics ("dishonest" atheists) not listen, it will usually be all you can do to not get angry and begin stooping to their low-brow tactics.

I used to do a lot of debating on YouTube, but quickly learned that the limitations of posting length aren't conducive to quality conversations.

What someone here suggested, and which I think is a much better option, is to engage commentors in the comments sections on Amazon.com books. Whether it's a book on a spiritual or philosophical topic, or something else, there are many excellent opportunities there. But what I really love about amazon.com comments discussions is that it does not limit you to any comment post length you might write (not that I have found). Also, the comments/reviews on Amazon.com are a terrific way to see how various people interpret facts and knowledge, and to find out what people are thinking out there.
Callisto
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Callisto »

Reactionary wrote: Same here. The amount of anger and hate I find on such forums never ceases to surprise me. The amount of swear words proves it. Yet they want me to believe that they are happy and content. Sorry, content people don't get fired up about a deity they don't believe in.
That's exactly right and I always thought it was fun to point that out to them when they challenged me on Youtube or wherever. I'd say something like, "What are you so worried about, why are you so upset? You're wringing your hands over a God you don't believe in and actions that mean nothing if naturalism is true." I tried to get them to realize that the fact that they WERE upset pointed to something other than naturalism. Humans are a very religious lot, even if we deny it. We worship money and we worship our own pride because we want to be "right" all the time. That's what the new atheists are doing, essentially. Worshipping naturalism and their sense of "rightness".

I stopped answering people who have said extremely callous things about God, Christianity, or any other theist out there. Mostly for my sanity. Also because it's not worth it - most of those people have blocked off their hearts and as we all know, hell is locked from the inside.