Questions and discussion about missionary organizations...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Questions and discussion about missionary organizations...

Post by derrick09 »

Hello everyone, I was wanting to know first off if there are any of you who have ever done missionary work outside the US? If so, I was wondering, from what you have seen are people from non westernized nations much more receptive to the gospel? For quite sometime I imagined that they are but I didn't know for sure since I haven't ever interviewed any first hand people who work directly in the mission fields. I was wondering, have atheists and skeptics ever do any outreaches to them? If so, schooling them in apologetics would be every bit as effective as it is here at home (or in all westernized nations). I was also curious of what kind of missionary organizations you all think are the most top notch, honest, and effective at delivering the gospel. Currently one of the ones I have endorsed and consider reputable over the years is the international missions board. Back when I was younger I used to give to the Lottie Moon Christmas offering and the church I was a part of used to bring in a person or two who was affiliated with them. But anyway, let me know what you all think. Thanks and God bless. :wave:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Questions and discussion about missionary organizations.

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

When I was in high school I went on a construction Missions Trip to Guatamala. There are a lot of break-ins and it can be dangerous, so we went down to help put in a wall around the church compound and also just to minister and fellowship with the Christians down there. While we didn't do any evangelizing ourselves, from the church service, I think the people down there consider their faith to be a much bigger deal than typical Christians up here. The service was easily 3 hours long, but didn't feel like it, and they had a service later in the day as well, though we missed that one. Reminds me of how the early church operated in a lot of ways.

As far as being receptive to the Gospel, I think the biggest issue with westernized countries isn't knowledge but faulty information. I think there is a huge misconception that Christians are a backward group of people intellectually, when it is just completely wrong. Europe and even America are still reeling from the damage that furiously pursued atheism caused in the 1800-early 1900's, and so while spiritualism is a common thing, there's still animosity towards organized religion of any kind, even sometimes without reason.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
derrick09
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by derrick09 »

Great point Marcus! Thanks for responding.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I was wondering, have atheists and skeptics ever do any outreaches to them?
Although there are certianly secular groups that assist the poor, I am unaware of any that make it a point to teach or an atheistic worldview, or base their purpose around such an agenda.

Although I support an orphanage in Bolivia, and other children's misintries that have global impact, I've never traveled abroad. All my mission work has been based domestically, and I have found my calling there. I have such respect for those who abandon all to enter the foreign mission field. I do have several friends that serve in this capacity. Not a mission 'trip,' but a 365/24-7 mission life.
In all my experiences you rarely see the call for apologetics in the sense that we discuss it. It has very little relevance in their world. And I don't mean that as a slight, but just a reality. A person in the remote places of Africa just aren't concerned with much of what apologetics presents. At some point we have to realize that much of the modern apologetic method is tailored to the battleground of acedemia and not per se towards the huddled masses. And that is not to dismiss the former. They are both places where we are to wage war.
We could stand to learn quite a bit from these 3rd world nations. They have a vibrant, living faith that at times is hard for us to understand. The places where the Christian faith is demonstrated at the end of the spear are also places where much of modern apologetics is simply vain philosophy. As myself, and many a Christian can testify, a man with an argument is no match for a man with an experience. Does faith grow more by building arguments around it? Or, is your defense strengthened through the living growth of our faith? They both certainly have their place. But the former should never be given precedence over the later. At least in my estimation.
I can recall through my own experience how I have set out to help the less fortunate 'understand' more about God, and left humbled by how much they taught me. I was going to take my vast knowledge and spirituality and 'enlighten' them. Instead, these people live in a reliance I could never experience. Ignorant of philosophy and much of the theological jargon, they walked in their faith in a way that is much more real.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious