Hmm, question regarding the soul, and the serpent...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Maytan
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Hmm, question regarding the soul, and the serpent...

Post by Maytan »

Well, I somehow came upon this website while doing some internet browsing. I wound up on this article: http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/What_Is_The_Soul%3F

Now, I never really thought about this before, and I'm betting my lack of response to this is all result of my own ignorance, but I'd like some help. I just can't figure it out; if the soul is spiritual, why is it so connected to the brain's intelligence?

Secondly, another thing I found on this website, was that they point out how the serpent was never really referred to as being Satan. So, having never thought about this before, I went back and read Genesis... sure enough, I didn't see it written there. Anyone care to help me out here?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Hmm, question regarding the soul, and the serpent...

Post by BavarianWheels »

Maytan wrote:Secondly, another thing I found on this website, was that they point out how the serpent was never really referred to as being Satan. So, having never thought about this before, I went back and read Genesis... sure enough, I didn't see it written there. Anyone care to help me out here?
Revelation 12:9 wrote: The great dragon was hurled down--that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray.
Revelation 20:2 wrote:He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
Maytan
Established Member

Post by Maytan »

Thanks! I knew there had to be something, I simply haven't read enough of the Bible for myself.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Maytan wrote:Now, I never really thought about this before, and I'm betting my lack of response to this is all result of my own ignorance, but I'd like some help. I just can't figure it out; if the soul is spiritual, why is it so connected to the brain's intelligence?
I'll give you my simple explanation.
[quote="Genesis 2:7" NIV"]the LORD God formed the man* from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.[/quote]
Other translations say, "...became a living soul." and if memory serves me, the Hebrew says, chay nephesh.
Genesis 1:30 NIV wrote:And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food." And it was so.
So we see that both animals and Man have the same breath of life and so all are living souls. Notice they are not given souls, but become living souls.

Dust + Breath = Living Soul. Removal of either the dust or the breath, and the "soul" ceases to exist. We don't, therefore, get a soul, but become one. There's certainly a lot more that can be mentioned, but the simpleness of this is quite enough.

There are certainly others that will disagree, but one cannot disagree nor refute the plain words of scripture.

I now leave the rest for the better theologians and apologists to refute and mull over. :)
Maytan
Established Member

Post by Maytan »

Ah, that makes a lot of sense! I had never really thought of it in such away.

You've been much, sir. I thank you.