Questions about Jesus being in India

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Questions about Jesus being in India

Post by cubeus19 »

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you all have ever heard of the claims made by skeptics and or muslims that Jesus lived through his crucifixion, moved to India died at 120 years old and has a tomb there? I was wondering if you all know of any good responses to these claims. The best response I can come up is to point out that crucifixion victims almost 99.9% of the time die from being crucified. Here is the website for this group of nutcases.

http://www.tombofjesus.com/ (this of course shouldn't be confused with the Talpiot tomb that was later shown to not to have any real connection with Jesus of Nazereth)
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Questions about Jesus being in India

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

This is slightly satirical, but wouldn't it be an even bigger miracle than resurrection to actually live through a crucifixion? The Roman's weren't exactly known for taking people down early when they were executed... how exactly would someone who wasn't God survive having all of their blood drained out of their body with a spear?
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

On a similar note, I can't recall where I read it, I've heard it claimed that Jesus went to India somewhere between birth and meeting John the Baptist. The idea being that Jesus realised he was divine in India, where divine humanity was not such a big issue, and took that thought back to the Abrahamic framework where it was a huge issue. It think Alan Watts mentions it in his lecture on Jesus, even if he doesn't it's worth listening to.

It seems rather odd to argue that 99.9 percent of people died on the cross whilst at the same time putting forth an argument for Jesus rising after death. A manGod born of virgin birth, performing miracles and generally inspiring those around him to the degree that he is perhaps the most influential figure in the history of humanity does not full under the banner of 99.9% of people.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

This has been refuted so much I am surprised it is still talked about. Read Lee Strobels Case for Christ - there is a whole chapter on the medical evidence of the crucifixion that debunks the swoon theory. Jesus was given a roman flogging -which is enough to kill a man anyway, told to carry the beam of his cross to Golgatha - nailed through the median nerve in his hands and through his feet- joints dislocated as he was stretched on the cross, dehydrated, suffering from shock- had a cardiac arrest causing fluid to settle in his lungs and heart and was evident when the spear was thrust through his side into his heart producing a flowof blood and water. Jesus was dead.

If he was resusitated in the tomb he would not be in any fit state to speak, walk or even move in general to inspire the diciples to their deaths. Besides he probably would have died very soon after.

Silvertusk.