All People Given the Choice??

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
kmr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

All People Given the Choice??

Post by kmr »

Hey all,

I was being questioned about Christianity the other day and I was asked a question I could not answer very well. She asked me how early Native Americans could have come to Christ before Europeans arrived with the Word, and then said that Christianity couldn't be a fair choice for all people if these people didn't have the choice.

Of course, I answered best I could, with the typical "God finds a way" and "maybe he did it like this" and "Perhaps they were given that", but I really could not find a good answer. What do you all think?

- KMR
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Re: All People Given the Choice??

Post by FearlessLlearsy »

To be honest, the world is NOT a fair place. All this remounts to Adam and Eve. This is a PRODUCT of sin, and therefore, God is not to be blamed. Quite frankly, I believe that God is a Just God, and will judge fairly, because he is the chief of Judges.
I may sound extreme, but there is no better words to put it. It is our own fault.
This is why we have been given the great commission in Matthew 28. To make disciples of all nations, instructing them everything Jesus had taught,
But on a whole, we must realize that some of us have, are, and will continue to pay for the price of sin, which is death.
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

Good point. I agree, that makes sense.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

it is a trap question, it will either end up at "Jesus isn't the only way" or "God is not fair". But the best response it to tell her that her question is not complete, she has to remember the basic rule that the gospel will only apply to people who come in contact with it. Those who never even heard of the Gospel will not be judged by it, it is clearly written, the best way is to tell her that people in that category will be dealt by God on a different criteria. And the Bible tells of it.

Romans 2:5-16
"when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."

So if people who died or couldn't get the word of Christ unless someone came to them they would be judged by God in a different manner, the best she can say to this is, then it doesn't make difference if I am Christian or not since God will judge me on my works rather than believing in Christ, but here is something very nice to counter it

John 9:39-41
Jesus said,[a] “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?”

Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

see, it is not based on works but acknowledgment of faith, those who know and/or heard about Christ regardless if they believed or not - are not to be confused with people who never heard of him, because if they heard and saw but didn't believe then they surely acknowledged that they passed it up and their sin and guilt remains. This however doesn't apply to the people who never heard or seen Christ or the gospel.

A very hard response to the above statement would be harmless as "then why evangelize, save yourself the trouble, people who don't know Christ might be saved anyways."

But the thing is we can't because we are ordered to not only make Christians just to fill churches but to take them out of darkness and towards God so that if they can they should be saved and be given a chance to glorify god in their bodies. that ultimately all creation can be taken out of the darkness and into the light of the Gospel, and the reason it is important is because it is not a game that we are playing, God has plans and when we evangelize we carry out those plans, it is up to everyone else to decide what they do. it is not only about being saved but about having a wonderful relation to God and having the access to the wonderful grace that is presented to all the world and it is God's heart that we should do it.

If she objects to this last one then you can leave her aside since she obviously trying to ignore your point without a proper reason. your system dictates your reasons, unless she is in the system she can't very well put herself in your shoes and decide for herself and since it is not going to happen (in most cases at least) then at best you can leave the debate with a proper answer according to your faith not their's because ultimately the world takes the wisdom of God (the gospel) as foolishness and ridicule it and they will do it always, you needn't worry ;)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

All will have the chance to repent.
Except for those that have already made up their mind, those that have known God via the HS and have turn their backs on God thus "Blaspheming the HS".
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:All will have the chance to repent.
Except for those that have already made up their mind, those that have known God via the HS and have turn their backs on God thus "Blaspheming the HS".
Those who die in that state, yes. But as long as one lives, one is able to repent and turn to God and will be welcomed back with open arms, just like the prodigal son was.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:All will have the chance to repent.
Those who die in that state, yes. But as long as one lives, one is able to repent and turn to God and will be welcomed back with open arms, just like the prodigal son was.
Thanks be to God's grace through Christ His Son :)