About this whole rapture thing...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

About this whole rapture thing...

Post by dorkmaster »

Where exactly did this idea sprout up? Who's the mastermind? The atheists are already using this movement as an example of Christians being stupid and cheated out of their money so what do you guys think?
Maytan
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: About this whole rapture thing...

Post by Maytan »

Harold Camping, he owns Family Radio or something like that.

But yeah, it's sad. I wish people would heed the Bible's own advice and STOP TRYING TO GUESS THE DATE OF THE END OF THE WORLD. It just makes us all look stupid and moronic, from the atheist's point of view.
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

dorkmaster wrote:Where exactly did this idea sprout up? Who's the mastermind? The atheists are already using this movement as an example of Christians being stupid and cheated out of their money so what do you guys think?
This is what's upsetting me the most about this whole thing. We're always grouped together with the radical ones, and in the end get no respect. It's frustrating to say the least.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

There's a bright side to it I guess if you want to stretch it a little.

I found the same thing happening: all the atheists I know used it as an opportunity to slam Christians (even if they pointed out most Christians disagree, they found general ways to slam people, as they always do). But think of this- if they felt no intellectual threat at all, why lump two very distinct groups of people together? It isn't confusion... they know better (or they aren't very good... 'intellectuals'). I find it more evidence that they won't miss a beat in mockery - and I find people who mock are either hiding something or don't feel very confident about themselves and so they try to push their fears onto other people.

I much prefer the atheists and agnostics I know who don't mention Christians at all but just sigh at how wrong the guy is. The others... lost any chance of having any of my respect a long time ago anyway.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

"The timing, the structures, the proofs, none of that has changed at all," says Camping.

He is sticking to the numerology he used to determine the May 21 and Oct. 21 dates.

"All I am is a humble teacher. I search the Bible. I search the Bible," he says.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/2 ... 65867.html

This man is very frustrating. He says he searches the Bible, yet does not remember the verses pointed out to him multiple times Matthew 24:36 or 1 Thessalonians 5: 1-3! I wouldn't care as much if he kept these ideas to himself, but it is affecting the whole Christian community. People are losing their jobs, investing their life savings, committing suicide, and are being ridiculed for this.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!