Kitzmiller v. Dover Question For a Class

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Kitzmiller v. Dover Question For a Class

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I have a course I'm taking that sort of bounces around on all sorts of topics. The current one discusses freedom of religion as it pertains to teaching intelligent design in schools. I know that intelligent design and creationism are separate things, so I don't mean to go down that road.

The class is expected to become familiar with the Kitzmiller v. Dover case. I browsed through some very old posts on this forum but didn't see a ton of information on it (though there was some good stuff). I guess this post is just to get people's opinions on the case. At this point, I'm almost offended by how stupidly some of the opposition handled the situation.

For instance, one of the main things the school board did was require this to be read to students once during their education:
The Pennsylvania Academic Standards require students to learn about Darwin's theory of evolution and eventually to take a standardized test of which evolution is a part.
Because Darwin's Theory is a theory, it is still being tested as new evidence is discovered. The Theory is not a fact. Gaps in the Theory exist for which there is no evidence. A theory is defined as a well-tested explanation that unifies a broad range of observations.
Intelligent design is an explanation of the origin of life that differs from Darwin's view. The reference book, Of Pandas and People, is available for students to see if they would like to explore this view in an effort to gain an understanding of what intelligent design actually involves.
As is true with any theory, students are encouraged to keep an open mind. The school leaves the discussion of the origins of life to individual students and their families. As a standards-driven district, class instruction focuses upon preparing students to achieve proficiency on standards-based assessments.
The response, according to Wikipedia, was:
The three school board members who voted against it resigned in protest, and science teachers in the district refused to read the statement to their ninth-grade students, citing the Pennsylvania code of education, which states that teachers cannot present information they believe to be false. Instead, the statement was read to students by a school administrator.
The school board's statement asserting that there are "gaps" in evolution and that it specifically is a theory "not a fact" singled out evolution, implying it is just a hunch, without explaining that the same applies to any other scientific theory. The reference to Of Pandas and People and presentation of intelligent design as an alternative "explanation of the origins of life" presented it as though it were a scientific explanation, in contrast to the way that evolution was described. Encouraging students to "keep an open mind" about alternatives without offering an alternative scientific explanation implied an invitation to meditate on a religious view, endorsing the religious view a similar way to the disclaimer found to be unconstitutional in the Freiler v. Tangipahoa Parish Board of Education case. The school board claimed the statement does not teach intelligent design and simply makes students aware of its existence as an alternative to evolution, but no such statements were made about other subjects. As part of the presentation, the administrators stated that "there will be no other discussion of the issue and your teachers will not answer questions on the issue", giving intelligent design a position not applied to scientific topics.[10] The board denied intelligent design is "religion in disguise," despite being represented in court by the Thomas More Law Center, a conservative Christian not-for-profit law center that uses litigation to promote "the religious freedom of Christians and time-honored family values". Its stated purpose is "...to be the sword and shield for people of faith".
Among the things I found childish on the ACLU side was the fact they thought the situation was Orwellian. Maybe I'm blind in my thinking, but I read the term "Open-minded" and the some genuine effort to get students thinking outside of what they are taught in class. Why in the world wouldn't a 'liberties' group want students to be told to think for themselves! That isn't Orwellian at all! Its the exact opposite. Granted they weren't offered a ton of information, but we can see exactly why later on in the same list of complaints: the ACLU and the resigned board members felt that the only alternative was a religious answer and thus it was a violation of first amendment rights. Even if that were true, the ruling was therefor in favor of an atheistic belief system, and thus established a religion as the law of the land (secularism) instead of allowing students to have more options taught to them.

In addition, I have no idea what the science teachers were referring to when they said that they 'couldn't teach information that is false'. I didn't see anything 'false' in that statement.

Anyway... just thought I'd ask what people thought about it. I for one think it is much more an issue of religious liberty than of 'protecting' people from 'religious' ideas.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Kitzmiller v. Dover Question For a Class

Post by Echoside »

honestly after reading the opening paragraph you posted I thought the next thing was going to be about how proponents of ID were offended by the school's message, not the other way around. The teachers that resigned obviously have some sort of vendetta against religion. Watch, in a couple years schools are going to be teaching string theory as fact as well, and I will be gladly homeschooling any children I might end up with in the future.
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Kitzmiller v. Dover Question For a Class

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I'm right with you... maybe I'm just conditioned to see it that way, but it feels like the opening portion would have offended fundamentalist Christians more than science teachers. I was pretty surprised, too. I liked a "What you ought to know" video (that I should just post...) that seemed very fair on the issue: Don't teach philosophy as science. So don't teach Intelligent Design. Or Darwinian Evolution. Just teach what we know and tell students there are all kinds of opinions on how to interpret what we know, and that the science classroom isn't as good a place for that sort of discussion. My high school biology teacher, even though I didn't always like him, at least was honest with the subject. I remember him mentioning that evolution can be controversial (obviously it is, or it wouldn't have gone to court), and people just need to keep an open mind and not be offended by other points of view.

Talk about close mindedness :)
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"