Penn & Teller?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Mariolee
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Penn & Teller?

Post by Mariolee »

I was watching their new show "Fool Us" and quite enjoyed it. Then I began hearing about them being extremely unpopular in the Christian, particularly Catholic communities? Anyone have any details?
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Penn & Teller?

Post by Kenzel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RV46fsmx6E I'm guessing that might be why..
CeT-To
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

LOL yeah... just maybe, probably that ... not sure though :mrgreen:
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

Ah, I see. Also, I just found out Rowan Atkinson isn't a Christian as well!? Gah, all my favorite entertainers! Hmm, I guess that says something about what I watch. :p
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'm not normally this blunt, I don't think, but I think Penn and Teller are just fools who think themselves wise.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Mariolee wrote:Ah, I see. Also, I just found out Rowan Atkinson isn't a Christian as well!? Gah, all my favorite entertainers! Hmm, I guess that says something about what I watch. :p
Have you seen his Fatal Beating sketch? comedy gold!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMoB6ms2mE
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

I've seen a couple episodes of Penn & Teller's "B***S***" show, and I think that for the most part they're pretty intellegent people whose hearts are in the right place, trying to expose harmful falsehoods and promote justice and fairness for oppressed people, as well as pretty funny. When it comes to Theism and the Bible though, they're way too quick to dismiss it. In the episode about the Bible, they basically just asked some scholars about the book of Exodus and gawked at it.

In other episodes where Penn rants about religion, he greatly oversimplfies it in the typical "atheists promote reason and truth, religion promotes hatred and ignorance" way.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward