What is a 'soccer mum'?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What is a 'soccer mum'?

Post by DannyM »

?
-
-
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: What is a 'soccer mum'?

Post by RickD »

The term "soccer mom", is used here in the U.S. to describe a busy mom who drives her kids around to soccer. Or, a soccer mom can also mean a player's mom who organizes team events, and activities.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

People usually refer to it in a negative light.

Like I was watching The Office and Kelly made the comment: "I am NOT gonna be one of those soccer moms schlepping my kids around in a minivan." (She goes on to say that she wants an SUV :pound: ) But it basically refers to a mom who is the stereotypical stay-at-home mom that cooks, cleans, nurtures the children. A complete disgrace to the feminists, in other words. :lol: :roll:
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I always thought a soccer mum was the one yelling obsenities from the side lines and then abusing her kids if they lost.
Unfortunately there is a big culture of this happening in Australia from both parents. :shakehead:

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I always thought a soccer mum was the one yelling obsenities from the side lines and then abusing her kids if they lost.
Unfortunately there is a big culture of this happening in Australia from both parents. :shakehead:

Dan
No Dan, that's a soccer hooligan. Or to you non-Americans, football hooligan. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Good to see that the 'great British culture' continues to export itself worldwide :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

soccer mom
The phrase soccer mom generally refers to a married middle-class woman who lives in the suburbs and has school age children.[1][2] She is sometimes portrayed in the media as busy or overburdened and driving a minivan.[1][3] She is also portrayed as putting the interests of her family, and most importantly her children, ahead of her own.[1] The phrase soccer moms was first published in the Springfield Press, Springfield, Pennsylvania October 17, 1973 in an article written by Ray Lynch, Director of Soccer for the Springfield Athletic Association. In the weekly article that listed the scores and highlights from the previous weekend games, Mr. Lynch thanked all the soccer moms for their support. The phrase soccer mom derives from the literal, specific description of a mother who transports and watches her children play soccer.[3] It was also used in names of organizations of mothers who raised money to support their children's soccer teams.[3] The first reference to the phrase soccer mom in the US national media has been traced to 1982. In that year, Joseph Decosta, the husband of the treasurer of the "Soccer Moms booster club" of Ludlow, Massachusetts, stole $3,150 raised for the benefit of a local soccer league.[3][4]
Indices of American magazines and newspapers show relatively little usage of the term until 1995[3] when, during an election for Denver city council, Susan B. Casey ran with the slogan "A Soccer Mom for City Council."[3][5] Casey, who had a PhD and managed presidential election campaigns, used the slogan as a way of assuring voters they could trust her to be "just like them,"[3] denoting herself as "everyneighbor."[5] The phrase addressed anxiety about women's achievements, and the stereotype that smart, accomplished women were not able to manage professional careers and still show love for their family.[3] Casey won the election with 51% of the vote.[6]
The phrase has taken on a negative aspect. Soccer moms are sometimes accused of forcing their children to go to too many after-school activities; overparenting them in concerted cultivation rather than letting them enjoy their childhood.[14][15][16] In 2003, the car manufacturer Nissan, who had for several years courted the "soccer-mom" image, repositioned its Quest minivan as "stylish, sexy and desirable".[17]
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"