Planet that can hold life found and confirmed

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jakobp
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes

Planet that can hold life found and confirmed

Post by jakobp »

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-telescope-co ... 05358.html

didn't the bible say that earth was the only place that can hold life? that's what some people were saying on the comments section
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Re: Planet that can hold life found and confirmed

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

The key phrase: "potentially habitable alien world, ". There are a lot of "if's" in this article. Doesn't seem very conclusive to me, simply speculative.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
jakobp
Familiar Member

Post by jakobp »

"NASA's planet-hunting Kepler spacecraft has confirmed the discovery of its first alien world in its host star's habitable zone — that just-right range of distances that could allow liquid water to exist — and found more than 1,000 new explanet candidates, researchers announced today (Dec. 5)."

Seems pretty legit to me
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

didn't the bible say that earth was the only place that can hold life
Where exactly does it say that?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jakobp
Familiar Member

Post by jakobp »

that's what a lot of atheists were yelling about
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Well they will need to provide some proof, i have never seen that verse.

Wouldn't it be funny if we met an alien race more advanced than our own and they ask us why we dont recognise the creator like they do.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Well they will need to provide some proof, i have never seen that verse.

Wouldn't it be funny if we met an alien race more advanced than our own and they ask us why we dont recognise the creator like they do.
HAHAHA! That would be hilarious. And maybe they didn't fall and Jesus didn't have to die for them like he did for us? Can you just imagine. We'd have egg on our faces! :oops:
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

jakobp wrote:"NASA's planet-hunting Kepler spacecraft has confirmed the discovery of its first alien world in its host star's habitable zone — that just-right range of distances that could allow liquid water to exist — and found more than 1,000 new explanet candidates, researchers announced today (Dec. 5)."

Seems pretty legit to me
"could" allow. See, those little journalistic tactics...:P Sorry, until I see "does" allow, then I'm going to pull the whole atheistic "UNTIL THERE'S PROOF" mantra (heheh)
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

Yeah, if you have the verse that says that the Bible only allows for life on this planet, I think we'd all like to see it.

But to me that article doesn't prove much at all. A planet within the zone that allows for the possibility of the existence of liquid water. That's a far cry from discovering the Klingon home world, isn't it?
Young, Restless, Reformed
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

For now, I'm really not that worried about it. We still don't have all the details yet. I'm sure tomorrow RTB will do a podcast on it. To find it go to reasons.org and click on podcasts and go to the "Science News Flash" podcast. And like what most everyone is saying, even if confirmed, this would not disprove the God of the Bible by any means.
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by Kenzel »

narnia4 wrote:Yeah, if you have the verse that says that the Bible only allows for life on this planet, I think we'd all like to see it.
I think this is the verse that's used to "prove" that ET life is un-biblical: Isaiah 45:18 ...Yeah, I don't really understand how that verse proves that other habitable planets can't exist.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Silly humans! The more evolved among us have already been to such far away planets as the one recently discovered!

www.rael.org/home

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenzel wrote:
narnia4 wrote:Yeah, if you have the verse that says that the Bible only allows for life on this planet, I think we'd all like to see it.
I think this is the verse that's used to "prove" that ET life is un-biblical: Isaiah 45:18 ...Yeah, I don't really understand how that verse proves that other habitable planets can't exist.
Yea i dont see how it does either as it only pertains to Earth and not the entire universe.

Daniel
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

It does pose a problem for Christianity - unless of course they also have a revelation of Christ and are saved by him - Was Jesus crucified on all planets? Discovery of alien intelligent life would be a body blow for our faith unless this is the case. And about them not falling - that is impossible when you have beings of freewill.

But on another note - how can they know that there is water on there? - how can they possibly discover if there is life on there? We would never be able to reach the planet to discover if this is the case.

Silvertusk.
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Let's all remember that article a few weeks back about how einstein was wrong and the universe is going to explode because the speed of light has been breached :roll:

Atheists cling to these stories like the boy who cried wolf, any hint of anti-theist material and they start up the alarms.