Christopher Hitchens passed away

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Christopher Hitchens passed away

Post by DRDS »

Here is a link on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418

God help his soul. :crying:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Christopher Hitchens passed away

Post by B. W. »

DRDS wrote:Here is a link on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418

God help his soul. :crying:
Well, only the Lord knows if at the last hour he recanted or not... Trust in the Lord and not in man...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

This is so desperately sad. Another soul wasted, such talent misdirected. I can imagine such bitter regret when he see's our Lord. A life spent drawing people away from the source of all joy. Reading the comments on that website as well there are so many people who are lost - who think that he was the voice of reason in this dark age of fantasical religion. So very very sad. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Sad to hear of his death.

-
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by wrain62 »

Did he have any last words to record?
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Saw this on another site:
Hitchens gave short shrift to the "insulting" suggestion that cancer might persuade him to change his position where reason had not, arguing that to ditch principles "held for a lifetime, in the hope of gaining favour at the last minute" would be a "hucksterish choice", and urging those who had taken it upon themselves to pray for him not to "trouble deaf heaven with your bootless cries".

Writing in his 2010 memoir, Hitch-22, Hitchens said that he hoped and believed his "advancing age has not quite shamed my youth", disavowing the "'simple' ordinary propositions" of his younger days in favour of the maxim that "it is an absolute certainty that there are no certainties".

"One reason, then, that I would not relive my life," he continued, "is that one cannot be born knowing such things, but must find them out, even when they then seem bloody obvious, for oneself."
Quite sad really.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

My favorite militant atheist :crying:
Callisto
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Callisto »

Silvertusk wrote:This is so desperately sad. Another soul wasted, such talent misdirected. I can imagine such bitter regret when he see's our Lord. A life spent drawing people away from the source of all joy. Reading the comments on that website as well there are so many people who are lost - who think that he was the voice of reason in this dark age of fantasical religion. So very very sad. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
I hear a lot of people say that. He was apparently a very good writer and had a lot of wit, but sadly not a lot of sense. Nothing we can do now but pray.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I hear a lot of people say that. He was apparently a very good writer and had a lot of wit, but sadly not a lot of sense. Nothing we can do now but pray.
Uh, nothing we can do now. Save your prayers for the living.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jlay wrote:
Uh, nothing we can do now. Save your prayers for the living.
True - look those who still have some prospect of hope - leave this man in God's hands.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

May God have mercy on his soul.

I just found out by one of my atheists friend's Facebook feed, calling him "the greatest intellectual mind of our time". Yeah, clearly he doesn't get out much.

These comments from the article kill me (from laughter):

"Those who read him felt they knew him, and those who knew him were profoundly fortunate souls."

Souls? Really? Come on. We all know we don't have souls! :D

"The author and prominent atheist Richard Dawkins described him as the "finest orator of our time" and a "valiant fighter against all tyrants including God"."

This is ridiculous, but coming from Dawkins, I guess it's to be expected. Why do they go out of their way to call someone that doesn't exist "a tyrant", and even give Him the "capital G".

Truth of the matter is, all of them are secularist bigots. At least we know Hitchens got his "surprise".
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Callisto wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:This is so desperately sad. Another soul wasted, such talent misdirected. I can imagine such bitter regret when he see's our Lord. A life spent drawing people away from the source of all joy. Reading the comments on that website as well there are so many people who are lost - who think that he was the voice of reason in this dark age of fantasical religion. So very very sad. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
He was very honest on why He had issues with God and Theisim, he didn''t like or agree with the whole notion of God and sin and so forth.
He didn't try to over his disdain with some artificial moral superiority, he was a Live and do what you want type of guy and made that clear.
He was not very knowledgeable about theology or even the bible but what he knew was typical of mainstream religious knowledge and he didn't like it or agree with it.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Callisto wrote:
He was very honest on why He had issues with God and Theisim, he didn''t like or agree with the whole notion of God and sin and so forth.
He didn't try to over his disdain with some artificial moral superiority, he was a Live and do what you want type of guy and made that clear.
He was not very knowledgeable about theology or even the bible but what he knew was typical of mainstream religious knowledge and he didn't like it or agree with it.
Indeed. I think the only reason he was so popular because he did have that message -- do whatever you want. And he's responsible for leading many souls astray, too. I'm sure he had a lot to answer for. I don't want to presume where the man is at this very moment, but unless his heart cried to God for forgiveness in his last second, we can safely assume where...
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I think it is very sad that Hitchens didn't really know what he was attacking. In others words he didn't really understand that he was attacking the G-d of love. A G-d who truly loved him and died for him.

Unfortunately many many people fail to see this point...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

He made me a better christian a better apologist and I think I speak for many in that regard.
His views made me examine my faith and how to present it and defend it.
I thank him for that.