Why illogical is more... Logical!

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
skakos
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Why illogical is more... Logical!

Post by skakos »

Rational is another word for the "familiar", as William James said. Most of the times a new "scientific discovery" was made because someone thought "illogically" based on what people of his era thought. Would you agree on that?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Re: Why illogical is more... Logical!

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Makes sense to me, so would thinking outside the square be irrational?

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

Take for example the "logical" theory of gravity.
It came into... existence in an era where instant long distance forces were not even in science fiction. The idea was purely irrational for the time!
The fact that we think that it is logical is because we have learned to think that way.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

skakos wrote: Most of the times a new "scientific discovery" was made because someone thought "illogically" based on what people of his era thought. Would you agree on that?
Not necessarily. Scientific discoveries, as you say, are often made because someone thinks "illogically". So if you want to make scientific discoveries, it is "logical" that you should think "illogically".
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

sandy_mcd wrote:
skakos wrote: Most of the times a new "scientific discovery" was made because someone thought "illogically" based on what people of his era thought. Would you agree on that?
Not necessarily. Scientific discoveries, as you say, are often made because someone thinks "illogically". So if you want to make scientific discoveries, it is "logical" that you should think "illogically".
Now I am confused. :shock:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

There is a big difference between thinking "illogically and thinking outside the box and using innovation. Scientists don't have to go against the grain to be innovative. Nor does going against the grain automatically make what they do good. Scientists take ideas and try their best to find evidence to support those ideas, or they delve deeper into already-existing ideas. There is no required amount of "illogical" thinking to make a discovery.
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

So how would you say imaginary numbers were "discovered" ?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Mathematics is not a science. Mathematics are an entirely human-made concept with no basis in nature or the like. You can't compare biology or chemistry to math.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Ivellious wrote:Mathematics is not a science. Mathematics are an entirely human-made concept with no basis in nature or the like. You can't compare biology or chemistry to math.
I honestly can't tell, are you being facetious?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Not at all, Byblos. Science is a method of taking things from the world around us and explaining it to the world around us. Mathematics is a human made concept used to define certain aspects of our thinking. For example, the laws of chemistry are defined by examining the world around us and figuring out how matter interacts with other matter. Geometry is defined by how we analyze shapes.

I would put it this way: Mathematics is a human-made universal language for describing the world around us through science. Gauss once said that Mathematics was "the queen of sciences", not because it IS a science, but rather because it was the medium through which scientists explain things. They go hand in hand, but are separate in how they apply.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Ivellious wrote:Not at all, Byblos. Science is a method of taking things from the world around us and explaining it to the world around us. Mathematics is a human made concept used to define certain aspects of our thinking. For example, the laws of chemistry are defined by examining the world around us and figuring out how matter interacts with other matter. Geometry is defined by how we analyze shapes.

I would put it this way: Mathematics is a human-made universal language for describing the world around us through science. Gauss once said that Mathematics was "the queen of sciences", not because it IS a science, but rather because it was the medium through which scientists explain things. They go hand in hand, but are separate in how they apply.
Without human beings, are two apples and two apples equivalent to four apples?
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Without human beings, are two apples and two apples equivalent to four apples?
This is another pointless discussion which has been around for centuries and which will never end. You can Google this and find whatever opinion you want. Ivellious is right, according to standard definitions, i.e., mine. The properties of atoms are fixed by their existence. These properties can be discovered. Mathematics is a system of logic based on axioms. Certain types of mathematics (certainly not all) can be used to describe the physical world.
Without human beings, the question above is meaningless. What is an "apple"? Who would be asking this question?

PS Please show me a picture of i apples, where i is the square root of -1.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

sandy_mcd wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:Without human beings, are two apples and two apples equivalent to four apples?
This is another pointless discussion which has been around for centuries and which will never end. You can Google this and find whatever opinion you want. Ivellious is right, according to standard definitions, i.e., mine. The properties of atoms are fixed by their existence. These properties can be discovered. Mathematics is a system of logic based on axioms. Certain types of mathematics (certainly not all) can be used to describe the physical world.
Without human beings, the question above is meaningless. What is an "apple"? Who would be asking this question?

Or you could answer my question first.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Byblos wrote:
Ivellious wrote:Mathematics is not a science. Mathematics are an entirely human-made concept with no basis in nature or the like. You can't compare biology or chemistry to math.
I honestly can't tell, are you being facetious?
A standard reference http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/file ... wigner.pdf
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Ivellious wrote:Not at all, Byblos. Science is a method of taking things from the world around us and explaining it to the world around us. Mathematics is a human made concept used to define certain aspects of our thinking. For example, the laws of chemistry are defined by examining the world around us and figuring out how matter interacts with other matter. Geometry is defined by how we analyze shapes.

I have no problem with Gauss classifying mathematics as a medium through which science can explain and be explained. That's a far cry from calling it a man-made language.
sandy_mcd wrote:

Not pointless at all. It is no different than stating chemical truths such as 1 oxygen atom and 2 hydrogen atoms combine to form H2O. Or the biological truth that an animal uses ATP for energy and produces ADP in the process. Or the physical truth that objects of different weight fall at the same rate. These chemical, biological, and physical truths are self-evident, irrespective of any human existence. In fact, they preceded it by billions of years. Same with mathematical truths, they are discoverable, not man-made.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.