Neanderthals and modern humans---maybe not related after all

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
sylvanicdawn
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Neanderthals and modern humans---maybe not related after all

Post by sylvanicdawn »

I've been following the Neanderthal question in science for a little while now. Of course, there have been some scientists who say that Neanderthal and modern humans were related in some way; then in 2004, Katerina Havarti published a scholarly piece saying that each one was a separate species; then in 2010 some Neanderthal bones were found in a cave in Croatia, and supposedly some of the DNA samples resembled human DNA, suggesting at least some mating between the species. Now some European scientists have published a paper in the Molecular Biology and Evolution Journal, implicating that Neanderthal may have been long extinct before modern humans arrived on the pages of history! As an old-earth creationist, this is fascinating to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17179608
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Neanderthals and modern humans---maybe not related after

Post by RickD »

I'll have to wait and see what RTB has to say about this. By the way, welcome, sylvanicdawn.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
sylvanicdawn
Acquainted Member

Post by sylvanicdawn »

Thank you, RickD. Looking forward to participating and learning new things :-)
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I think you may have misread this particular article. It never says that humans and neanderthals weren't related, just that the species may have died out sooner than we had originally thought. It says that most of the species may have died around 48,000 years ago, with a very small contingent of neanderthals living on for another 10,000 years thereafter. They concluded this because the genetic variation in neanderthals drops off significantly at 48,000 years ago, a sign that there was a massive population drop off.

Perhaps you are under the impression that neanderthals are the predecessors of homo sapiens? That would seem to be disproved by the idea of neanderthals dying out quicker than we thought, but in actuality biologists and anthropologists regard the two species as cousins, not as homo sapiens coming from neanderthals.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Hi sylvanicdawn,

It's actually Harvati.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:I think you may have misread this particular article. It never says that humans and neanderthals weren't related, just that the species may have died out sooner than we had originally thought. It says that most of the species may have died around 48,000 years ago, with a very small contingent of neanderthals living on for another 10,000 years thereafter. They concluded this because the genetic variation in neanderthals drops off significantly at 48,000 years ago, a sign that there was a massive population drop off.

Perhaps you are under the impression that neanderthals are the predecessors of homo sapiens? That would seem to be disproved by the idea of neanderthals dying out quicker than we thought, but in actuality biologists and anthropologists regard the two species as cousins, not as homo sapiens coming from neanderthals.
Maybe the neanderthals were the native people of Croatia, and the white European settlers massacred them all, just like they tried to do with the Native Americans, and Australian Aborigines. y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
sylvanicdawn
Acquainted Member

Post by sylvanicdawn »

sandy_mcd wrote:Hi sylvanicdawn,

It's actually Harvati.

You're right. My bad :-)
sylvanicdawn
Acquainted Member

Post by sylvanicdawn »

Ivellious wrote:I think you may have misread this particular article. It never says that humans and neanderthals weren't related, just that the species may have died out sooner than we had originally thought. It says that most of the species may have died around 48,000 years ago, with a very small contingent of neanderthals living on for another 10,000 years thereafter. They concluded this because the genetic variation in neanderthals drops off significantly at 48,000 years ago, a sign that there was a massive population drop off.

Ivellious,
I have seen different science articles here and there claiming that Neanderthals were the predecessors of homo sapiens. Not all articles, but some. Keep in mind, though, that the subject of Neanderthal is relatively new for me. I certainly don't believe that we descended from Neanderthals, though. I would have to see more evidence to believe something like that. I've also encountered science articles that say there could have been interbreeding between certain homo sapiens and certain Neanderthals. Would be curious to what everyone's thoughts were on this.
Last edited by sylvanicdawn on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

sylvanicdawn wrote: Ivellious,
I have seen different science articles here and there claiming that Neanderthals were the predecessors of homo sapiens. Not all articles, but some. Keep in mind, though, that the subject of Neanderthal is relatively new for me. I certainly don't believe that we descended from Neanderthals, though. I would have to see more evidence to believe something like that.
Evidence shows that we aren't directly related to neanderthals.. But even if it did, it still wouldn't disprove a creator. I remember in the past being heated up over such topics.. Now frankly, I really don't care. I've learned that "so called" scientific rabbit trails can't disprove the G-d of the Bible.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
sylvanicdawn
Acquainted Member

Post by sylvanicdawn »

Gman wrote:
sylvanicdawn wrote: Ivellious,
I have seen different science articles here and there claiming that Neanderthals were the predecessors of homo sapiens. Not all articles, but some. Keep in mind, though, that the subject of Neanderthal is relatively new for me. I certainly don't believe that we descended from Neanderthals, though. I would have to see more evidence to believe something like that.
Evidence shows that we aren't directly related to neanderthals.. But even if it did, it still wouldn't disprove a creator. I remember in the past being heated up over such topics.. Now frankly, I really don't care. I've learned that "so called" scientific rabbit trails can't disprove the G-d of the Bible.

True. I can't say that I'm 'heated up' over the topic---just interested. I don't like getting into long debates about a lot of subjects anymore. Maybe I would if I was still a teenager, or in my early to mid 20's...but not now. But I still like to ask questions; I still want to remain curious.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Gman, quick question...What evidence are you saying says we aren't related to neanderthals?

Sylvanicdawn: I think the phylogeny and history of humans is very interesting. It's amazing how complex the "homo" family really is/was. I think for a long time we believed all human-like fossils from that time frame were just human ancestors, but more recently genetics and more detailed analyses of their bodies and ages have developed a more intricate web of relationships.

The inter-breeding thing is very interesting, and the article you originally posted points out that if that did occur, it only happened during a brief period of time and likely only in northern Europe. Some have actually begun to think that neanderthals are the source of the gene that causes red hair (which would make even more sense because humans with that hair color all descend from northern Europe). Also, one way or another, if we interbred with neanderthals we must have been extremely closely related. I read an article recently that said "though by our evolutionary ancestors homo sapiens and neanderthals are cousins, their physiological and cultural roots seem to make the two groups more like brothers and sisters than anything."
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Ivellious,
Gman, quick question...What evidence are you saying says we aren't related to neanderthals?
Some evidence would be that their DNA is about as different from ours as a chimps, they have no evidence of clothing, no art, no music and their tools were different than human's.

You do not need to closely related to interbreed.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w04551203548j670/
http://www.hemmy.net/2006/06/19/top-10-hybrid-animals/
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

So...first of all, those examples of crossbreeds are all between very closely related species...at the very least within the same family of animal. So, yes, you do need to be closely related at least within the same family. The examples of "lesser apes" interbreeding makes that point as well, as "lesser apes" are obviously all in the same close lineage.

Also, how does our DNA being similar to both chimpanzees and neanderthals demonstrate that we aren't related to neanderthals? All things considered, if we are related to chimps, and we are equally similar DNA-wise to neanderthals...doesn't that point to us being related? And since when was "culture" a scientific indicator of genetic lineage?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Posted this in the jokes section a while back, thought it might be appropriate here :ebiggrin:

1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

RickD wrote:Maybe the neanderthals were the native people of Croatia, and the white European settlers massacred them all, just like they tried to do with the Native Americans, and Australian Aborigines. y:-?
Rick, a little bit more respect for my peoples, please! :ebiggrin: We never massacred, colonized or enslaved anyone. In fact, we didn't know what racism was until we heard about it from the West.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary