I have story to tell...

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

I have story to tell...

Post by Dallas »

Okay last night I wrote on my wall (facebook) that I might get a tattoo of a slain lamb, and I told them to ask me why. So a good friend of mine (atheist) asked me why.
If you don't know what the slain lamb meant i'll tell you.
When the fall of man took place, God killed a lamb for a sacrifice. This was a foreshadowing of the True Lamb to be sacrificed for man (Jesus).
My actual response was a little bit more detailed, nonetheless, you get the idea.

So... My birth mother wrote saying that getting a tattoo is a sin. So I gave her the reason why it isn't a sin. I gave her the actual context of what she was talking about. Then, out of no where, she said that it's hard to know the actual truth. At first I was confused, why did she even post this? Then she mentioned the dead-sea scrolls (I need more research on this, Help?), how some of them were written 70 years after Jesus's death. So then again, I went and explained how long the Bible took write, the different type of writings (Love, hate, spiritual, etc...), how historically accurate the Old Testament of the Bible is, etc...

I think one of the biggest things I told her was, People saw Jesus's miracles at hand, yet they still didn't believe.

So what should I do?
She tried to get into an argument that she has no idea on what she's talking about. Get's her info from other people, instead of looking for herself.

If you're wondering, I just stopped talking to her, she was getting me mad.

Lord Fix me :P

P.s. I just wrote that so I could show people how Jesus came into the picture, before prophesied :P
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: I have story to tell...

Post by Gman »

Dallas wrote:
So what should I do?
Hi Dallas, we are told not to conform to the ways of this world Romans 12:2.. If someone loaned you a car would you write graffiti all over it? So too it is with our bodies..

I wouldn't do it...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

So what response are you looking for? Personally, I think it'd kind cool, but then what is the real purpose...

I think you should think through the main reasons. For example, are trying to demonstrate (perhaps to yourself) just how devoted you are to God? Are you doing it in an obvious spot to strike up conversations with people? If asked on the spot, do you have a quick 1 minute response you can give? Have you thought it through properly your reasons?

As for the tattoo itself, I see nothing wrong with in personally, especially if it is to glorify God. But I think perhaps you need to explore your own reasons for it, especially if you're asking other people for advice about it???
Dallas
Established Member

Post by Dallas »

Kurieuo wrote:So what response are you looking for? Personally, I think it'd kind cool, but then what is the real purpose...

I think you should think through the main reasons. For example, are trying to demonstrate (perhaps to yourself) just how devoted you are to God? Are you doing it in an obvious spot to strike up conversations with people? If asked on the spot, do you have a quick 1 minute response you can give? Have you thought it through properly your reasons?

As for the tattoo itself, I see nothing wrong with in personally, especially if it is to glorify God. But I think perhaps you need to explore your own reasons for it, especially if you're asking other people for advice about it???
I did it to get a conversation started to a few of my atheist friends. Now... I don't plan, whatsoever, to get a tattoo. It was to show the symbolics of the lamb. How ever, When they said it was a sin, I told them why it was sin them! and not now.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Tina »

Dallas wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:So what response are you looking for? Personally, I think it'd kind cool, but then what is the real purpose...

I did it to get a conversation started to a few of my atheist friends. Now... I don't plan, whatsoever, to get a tattoo. It was to show the symbolics of the lamb. How ever, When they said it was a sin, I told them why it was sin them! and not now.
Can you tell me how it was a sin then and not now? ( curious learner here )
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Tina wrote: Can you tell me how it was a sin then and not now? ( curious learner here )
Here is the commandment.

Leviticus 19:28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

If you honor G-d's commandments you will do no such things to your bodies. That is unless you want to live as the heathen do who do not care about the beautiful body G-d gave them...

Franky, I think they are childish... And yes.. A sin to do.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Gman wrote:
Tina wrote: Can you tell me how it was a sin then and not now? ( curious learner here )
Here is the commandment.

Leviticus 19:28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

If you honor G-d's commandments you will do no such things to your bodies. That is unless you want to live as the heathen do who do not care about the beautiful body G-d gave them...

Franky, I think they are childish... And yes.. A sin to do.
What of the previous verse (Leviticus 19:27): "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard"? Start of the chapter is clear who is being spoken to. Leviticus 19:1-2: Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: “Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.

If we're going to keep one of the laws found in Leviticus, a book of laws and religious practices for how Israel was to conduct itself in their convenant with God, then why not every law? Christ fulfilled the Law, so to those in Him, they are not judged by the Law but by their heart.

I think in this particular instance, where a tattoo is being used with the intention for God's glory, that Romans 14 very much applies where we read:
  • 2One man’s faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
    ‘every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will confess to God.’”a

12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kurieuo wrote: What of the previous verse (Leviticus 19:27): "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard"? Start of the chapter is clear who is being spoken to. Leviticus 19:1-2: Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: “Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.
Yes, technically we sin if we reshape our beards too.. It's like saying, "I'm sorry G-d but I don't like the way you created me." Believe me, I'm guilty of it too...
Kurieuo wrote:If we're going to keep one of the laws found in Leviticus, a book of laws and religious practices for how Israel was to conduct itself in their convenant with God, then why not every law? Christ fulfilled the Law, so to those in Him, they are not judged by the Law but by their heart.
Technically the laws have not been abrogated.. Christ did not come to destroy the law, only to fulfill it.

“Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished” (Mt. 5:17-18).
Kurieuo wrote:I think in this particular instance, where a tattoo is being used with the intention for God's glory, that Romans 14 very much applies where we read:
  • 2One man’s faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
    ‘every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will confess to God.’”a

12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
These passages are mainly about believers judging non-believers incorrectly with a "holier than thou" attitude about the law, but not directly about abolishing the law... I'm sorry.

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

There are two ways to God:

1) Righteously fulfilling the Law and all its requirements, or
2) by God's grace through faith in Christ

True the Law is still around, and if any one person were able to fulfill it 100% they would earn their salvation. However, to those who have broken one tittle (which we believe to be all of us Romans 3:10), the Law is what condemns us before our all-righteous God. Thankfully, God provided a second way - Christ. To those who accept Christ, they are no longer under the Law which only bring condemnation and death to us. Rather, they are under Grace.

One purpose of the Law remaining, and reason why it will never pass, is because it makes us conscious of our sin and inability to be completely holy (Romans 3:20). We must depend entirely upon God's grace, and when freed from the Law which brings for us sin and death, why should we then return to the Law instead of simply accept and moving more into the more glorious, heart-felt and real relationship we can have with God? Paul deals with this at depth in Romans.
  • Romans 6:14 - For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 7:4-6 - 4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 8:1-4 - 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
We are no longer slaves to the law, but have something better. Why turn back to be enslaved, especially by the Law which was largely set aside for Israel. Zeal is good, but only if the purpose is good. Should we also return to the sacrificial system? No, obviously (I hope) we should not, since this just foreshadowed Christ who fulfilled their symbolism. Paul gets annoyed and frustrated with the church in Galatians 4 for wanting to return to the Law or works-focused lifestyle. To quote some snippets:

Galatians 4:8-11;21-31 -
  • 8 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. 9 But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces[d]? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.
    21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
    you who never bore a child;
    shout for joy and cry aloud,
    you who were never in labor;
    because more are the children of the desolate woman
    than of her who has a husband.”

28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
My fear here is for Christians who get so caught up reflecting upon "what is the way things were like/we ought to be like"... that they then relect upon the Laws of Judaism and read them back into their Christianity. I can respect the zeal, but it is misplaced, confused and wrong. The Law still remains, but God was more interested in our hearts and not our motions.
  • 31 “The days are coming,” declares the LORD,
    “when I will make a new covenant
    with the people of Israel
    and with the people of Judah.
    32 It will not be like the covenant
    I made with their ancestors
    when I took them by the hand
    to lead them out of Egypt,
    because they broke my covenant,
    though I was a husband to[d] them,”
    declares the LORD.
    33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
    after that time,” declares the LORD.
    “I will put my law in their minds
    and write it on their hearts.
    I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.
    34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
    or say to one another, ‘Know the LORD,’
    because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest,”
    declares the LORD.
    “For I will forgive their wickedness
    and will remember their sins no more.
The question is, are we really free from sin or not? This is not a question of whether we ought to do what is right or wrong, as Christians on either side of the great Grace/Works chasm believe good should still be done.

The former (grace theology) are more likely to believe the Holy Spirit working in us bring forth good fruit. Such are more likely to accept their weaknesses and divert their focus to looking outwardly with love, understanding and compassion for other sinners with the same grace God demonstrates to us and letting God sanctify us. They take literally Christ's words when He says all the Law is fulfilled in loving God and loving others (Matt 22:37-39), which they try to put as their focus rather than perfecting themselves.

The later (works theology) are more likely to focus inwardly on try to perfect themselves and live up to the law. Even reinstituting the Law of old given to Israel, and adding to it. Such people will often ask: "Is this action or sin or that action a sin", or respond with "This is a sin and that is a sin." They will work on what they believe is perfecting themselves and others through burdening with works that no longer apply. In Paul's terms, they are returning to be enslaved again.

If you wish to be judged by the later, then perhaps God might grant your wish (hopefully not). But Paul's words are dire that the slave women and her son will not share in the inheritance of the free? Seriously contemplate Paul's words here, as this looks to be really dangerous territory. Either our faith is in Christ and we are free from the Law, or we are still under the Law and hence to importance to get it right. To those who want to be free, accept their weakness and God's grace through faith in Christ, they are saved from God's righteous judgement. (John 5:25) Such is what we hope in, otherwise there is no hope of escaping God's righteous wrath and we are to be most pitied.
koopa184
Acquainted Member

Post by koopa184 »

Kurieuo wrote:There are two ways to God:

True the Law is still around, and if any one person were able to fulfill it 100% they would earn their salvation. However, to those who have broken one tittle (which we believe to be all of us Romans 3:10), the Law is what condemns us before our all-righteous God. Thankfully, God provided a second way - Christ. To those who accept Christ, they are no longer under the Law which only bring condemnation and death to us. Rather, they are under Grace.

One purpose of the Law remaining, and reason why it will never pass, is because it makes us conscious of our sin and inability to be completely holy (Romans 3:20). We must depend entirely upon God's grace, and when freed from the Law which brings for us sin and death, why should we then return to the Law instead of simply accept and moving more into the more glorious, heart-felt and real relationship we can have with God? Paul deals with this at depth in Romans.
  • Romans 6:14 - For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 7:4-6 - 4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 8:1-4 - 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
We are no longer slaves to the law, but have something better. Why turn back to be enslaved, especially by the Law which was largely set aside for Israel. Zeal is good, but only if the purpose is good. Should we also return to the sacrificial system? No, obviously (I hope) we should not, since this just foreshadowed Christ who fulfilled their symbolism. Paul gets annoyed and frustrated with the church in Galatians 4 for wanting to return to the Law or works-focused lifestyle. To quote some snippets:

Galatians 4:8-11;21-31 -
  • 8 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. 9 But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces[d]? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.
    21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,

28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
My fear here is for Christians who get so caught up reflecting upon "what is the way things were like/we ought to be like"... that they then relect upon the Laws of Judaism and read them back into their Christianity. I can respect the zeal, but it is misplaced, confused and wrong. The Law still remains, but God was more interested in our hearts and not our motions.
    declares the LORD.
    I will be their God,
    declares the LORD.
The question is, are we really free from sin or not? This is not a question of whether we ought to do what is right or wrong, as Christians on either side of the great Grace/Works chasm believe good should still be done.

The former (grace theology) are more likely to believe the Holy Spirit working in us bring forth good fruit. Such are more likely to accept their weaknesses and divert their focus to looking outwardly with love, understanding and compassion for other sinners with the same grace God demonstrates to us and letting God sanctify us. They take literally Christ's words when He says all the Law is fulfilled in loving God and loving others (Matt 22:37-39), which they try to put as their focus rather than perfecting themselves.

The later (works theology) are more likely to focus inwardly on try to perfect themselves and live up to the law. Even reinstituting the Law of old given to Israel, and adding to it. Such people will often ask: "Is this action or sin or that action a sin", or respond with "This is a sin and that is a sin." They will work on what they believe is perfecting themselves and others through burdening with works that no longer apply. In Paul's terms, they are returning to be enslaved again.

If you wish to be judged by the later, then perhaps God might grant your wish (hopefully not). But Paul's words are dire that the slave women and her son will not share in the inheritance of the free? Seriously contemplate Paul's words here, as this looks to be really dangerous territory. Either our faith is in Christ and we are free from the Law, or we are still under the Law and hence to importance to get it right. To those who want to be free, accept their weakness and God's grace through faith in Christ, they are saved from God's righteous judgement. (John 5:25) Such is what we hope in, otherwise there is no hope of escaping God's righteous wrath and we are to be most pitied.
Are you saying that we shouldn't define things as sin, Kurieuo?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

No. In my previous post, I mentioned two commandments Jesus referred to which fulfill the Law. To not love God and others is sin.

Whenever someone endorses harking back to the old covenant and Laws given to Israel, I can't help but feel there is something amiss in their understanding of Christ and our freedom from sin. For such a person is again burdened themselves and other Christians with a yoke that Christ set us free from.

Is it a sin to not be circumcized? Not keep the Sabbath? Eat certain meats that were forbidden under the Law? If someone denies such things have merit for those saved through Christ (such as myself), then how does it follow that such a person would believe we shouldn't define things as sin?

Galatians 5:1 - It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kurieuo wrote:There are two ways to God:

Let me rephrase this for you... No one is justified by following the law... No one. Why? Becuase technically no one can truly follow it save Christ. But do we just chuck the whole thing away now? That I believe is where we differ. We are under grace, true, but if we truly love him, we must obey Him to the best of our ability also, or if we truly love Him.
Kurieuo wrote:One purpose of the Law remaining, and reason why it will never pass, is because it makes us conscious of our sin and inability to be completely holy (Romans 3:20). We must depend entirely upon God's grace, and when freed from the Law which brings for us sin and death, why should we then return to the Law instead of simply accept and moving more into the more glorious, heart-felt and real relationship we can have with God? Paul deals with this at depth in Romans.
Yes but now read the next verse...

Romans 6:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

So how do we keep from sinning? Obeying His commandments.. What Romans 6:14 seems to be implying however is not directly about law but perverting it to legalism.
Kurieuo wrote:Romans 7:4-6 - 4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
Ok.. Read the next verse..

Romans 7:7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

So we understand now that in order to understand what sin is, we need to understand Torah.
Kurieuo wrote:Romans 8:1-4 - 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. [/list]
Ok backup a few verses to Chapter 7. In these verses, Paul is claiming that the law is spiritual.

Romans 7:14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.
Kurieuo wrote:We are no longer slaves to the law, but have something better. Why turn back to be enslaved, especially by the Law which was largely set aside for Israel. Zeal is good, but only if the purpose is good. Should we also return to the sacrificial system? No, obviously (I hope) we should not, since this just foreshadowed Christ who fulfilled their symbolism. Paul gets annoyed and frustrated with the church in Galatians 4 for wanting to return to the Law or works-focused lifestyle. To quote some snippets:
One day however in the Millennium the sacrifices will continue in Remembrance of what Yeshua did.
Kurieuo wrote:Galatians 4:8-11;21-31 -

“Be glad, barren woman,

declares the LORD.
    I will be their God,
    declares the LORD.
Keep in mind that people were also submitting themselves to the system that results from perverting the Torah into legalism too. In other words they were walking by the letter of the law but not by the spirit of the law which is just as bad.
Kurieuo wrote:The former (grace theology) are more likely to believe the Holy Spirit working in us bring forth good fruit. Such are more likely to accept their weaknesses and divert their focus to looking outwardly with love, understanding and compassion for other sinners with the same grace God demonstrates to us and letting God sanctify us. They take literally Christ's words when He says all the Law is fulfilled in loving God and loving others (Matt 22:37-39), which they try to put as their focus rather than perfecting themselves.
Yes... But when we say "love" that can be very convoluted too.. For we do not even hardly know what love means apart from the law.
Kurieuo wrote:The later (works theology) are more likely to focus inwardly on try to perfect themselves and live up to the law. Even reinstituting the Law of old given to Israel, and adding to it. Such people will often ask: "Is this action or sin or that action a sin", or respond with "This is a sin and that is a sin." They will work on what they believe is perfecting themselves and others through burdening with works that no longer apply. In Paul's terms, they are returning to be enslaved again.

Yes I understand, but we don't even know what freedom is apart from the law according to Romans 7:7. As an example should we give up stopping at a stop sign since we are free? If we just plow through an intersection without obeying "the law" we could actually hurt someone too. Therefore the "Laws" are really not that bad, but if we pervert them into legalism or try to justify ourselves by them, then yes, we would fall under judgement.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I think of sin like this, if in doubt cut it out. ;)

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kurieuo wrote:No. In my previous post, I mentioned two commandments Jesus referred to which fulfill the Law. To not love God and others is sin.

Whenever someone endorses harking back to the old covenant and Laws given to Israel, I can't help but feel there is something amiss in their understanding of Christ and our freedom from sin. For such a person is again burdened themselves and other Christians with a yoke that Christ set us free from.

Is it a sin to not be circumcized? Not keep the Sabbath? Eat certain meats that were forbidden under the Law? If someone denies such things have merit for those saved through Christ (such as myself), then how does it follow that such a person would believe we shouldn't define things as sin?

Galatians 5:1 - It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
But the Laws also say not to hold a grudge against your neighbor. Is that good or bad?

Leviticus 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD"

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I think of sin like this, if in doubt cut it out. ;)

Dan
Yes exactly Dan.. Although we will never be completely pure in this life, we must do our best to stop sin in our lives...