Jesus lived and buried in Kashmir?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Vincent
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Jesus lived and buried in Kashmir?

Post by Vincent »

Hello, everybody. I found this site today while looking for opinions on the theory that Jesus is buried in Kashmir. I did a search of the forum, but didn't see any threads addressing this.

For those who haven't heard about this, some people believe that Jesus survived the crucifixion, headed east to escape the Roman Empire and minister to the lost tribes of Israel, and eventually got to Kashmir. There is a tomb in Srinagar, Kashmir, and the people there (who claim to be one of the lost tribes of Israel) say that Jesus lived there and is buried in the tomb. Here's more: http://www.tombofjesus.com/

Since most of you are more knowledgeable than I about the bible and the associated history, I'd like to get your reaction to this Tomb of Jesus story. Thanks!
Last edited by Vincent on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Jesus lived and buried in Kashmir

Post by Ivellious »

I wouldn't expect a positive reaction to that idea. The Bible says it didn't happen that way, and most of the people in here will say that is enough evidence to say Jesus didn't travel anywhere but Heaven after his crucifixion.
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

Ivellious wrote: and most of the people in here will say
most learned people anywhere would tell you how absurd the idea is.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Welcome Vincent.

We usually shy away from new posters who come on with a purpose to send traffic off-site as we prefer for people to get to know us and us to get to know them and want people to be enter a form of community here.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that your questions and desire to discuss this are honest and I hope you'll remain and interact with any responses you get. Off hand, I think it's pretty clear that this theory completely denies most of the primary tenets of believers in Christ, particularly the resurrection of and deity of Christ. Don't be surprised if it's not given much in depth analysis. If there are particular elements that you're interested in or want to discuss, you might want to narrow it down so we are of help to you.

Most importantly, welcome to the board. We're glad you're here and we hope you'll continue in discussion not only on this thread but others as well.

blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Vincent
Newbie Member

Re: Jesus lived and buried in Kashmir?

Post by Vincent »

Thank you for the warm welcome, and the benefit of the doubt. It hadn't occurred to me that an off-site link of that nature would make people wonder if I had an agenda, but I understand your concern. I participate in several message boards, so I probably dive into new ones with a bit too much splash for a new member.

To be clear, I didn't create this thread with the intention of challenging or refuting Christianity. As I said, I'm simply hoping that some knowledgeable people can help me to examine this Kashmir claim.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Vincent wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome, and the benefit of the doubt. It hadn't occurred to me that an off-site link of that nature would make people wonder if I had an agenda, but I understand your concern. I participate in several message boards, so I probably dive into new ones with a bit too much splash for a new member.

To be clear, I didn't create this thread with the intention of challenging or refuting Christianity. As I said, I'm simply hoping that some knowledgeable people can help me to examine this Kashmir claim.

Welcome to the form. The reason why most people wouldn't put much credence are too many. The talmud itself refutes this by itself as it stated that he was executed. This is called enemy attestation and it's considered very strong evidence against these conspiracy theories .

Another huge problem is that even atheistic new testament scholars don't even pay much attention to this theory because even they know that the historicity of the new testament is stronger than any ancient document in history.

Then you have to deal with the 17+ secular accounts of Jesus's death that are outside the new testament.
The reason why I won't delve into this further is that it probably belongs to the same section as the Horace and Jesus comparison that we call pseudo-history.

11 of the 12 disciples died agonizing deaths because they knew what they saw, and they wouldn't die for a barely half alive Jesus who barely survived the crucifixion .
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

Also, as if the crucifixion wasn't enough, a guard stabbed Jesus in the side with a spear. I'm not sure how someone could survive a flogging, a crucifixion, and a spear to the side.
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

If you maintain how the Bible describes Jesus' death to be true, that is.
Vincent
Newbie Member

Post by Vincent »

Thank you for the input.

Advocates of this theory point to Pilate's surprise that Jesus died so quickly (Mark 15:42-45). I just found this page (if I may be permitted another outside link), which addresses the question: http://www.challies.com/articles/pilates-surprise.

I need to leave for a bit, so I'll post again shortly.