G&S NWT Criticisms

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
domokunrox
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

G&S NWT Criticisms

Post by domokunrox »

I wanted to do this for a while. A thread to look critically at the NWT and state your findings on clear absurdities found in this translation. I believe we need this here and I welcome everyone to contribute and/or discuss the NWT. This thread is to help us find quick references so that we can inform others and/or develop an apologetic strategy.

I'll start this off by referring to Zechariah 2:6-11
6 “Hey there! Hey there! Flee, then, YOU people, from the land of the north,” is the utterance of Jehovah.
Jehovah speaks
“For in the direction of the four winds of the heavens I have spread YOU people abroad,” is the utterance of Jehovah.
Jehovah still is speaking here
7 “Hey there, Zion! Make your escape, you who are dwelling with the daughter of Babylon. 8 For this is what Jehovah of armies has said,
Jehovah of armies is about to speak
‘Following after [the] glory he has sent me to the nations that were despoiling YOU people;
Who is being sent? Jehovah said "he has sent me"
for he that is touching YOU is touching my eyeball. 9 For here I am waving my hand against them, and they will have to become spoil to their slaves.’ And YOU people will certainly know that Jehovah of armies himself has sent me. 10 “Cry out loudly and rejoice, O daughter of Zion; for here I am coming, and I will reside in the midst of you,” is the utterance of Jehovah.
So, Jehovah said Jehovah is coming, and Jehovah "will reside in the midst of you"
11 “And many nations will certainly become joined to Jehovah in that day, and they will actually become my people; and I will reside in the midst of you.” And you will have to know that Jehovah of armies himself has sent me to you.
So Jehovah here is 2 people. One who is sending, and the other being sent.

So for comparative purposes here is a NASB translation
6 “[d]Ho there! Flee from the land of the north,” declares the LORD, “for I have dispersed you as the four winds of the heavens,” declares the LORD. 7 “Ho, Zion! Escape, you who are living with the daughter of Babylon.” 8 For thus says the LORD of hosts, “After [e]glory He has sent me against the nations which plunder you, for he who touches you, touches the [f]apple of His eye. 9 For behold, I will wave My hand over them so that they will be plunder for their slaves. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent Me. 10 Sing for joy and be glad, O daughter of Zion; for behold I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” declares the LORD. 11 “Many nations will join themselves to the LORD in that day and will become My people. Then I will dwell in your midst, and you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent Me to you.
Thank you all in advance for your participation to this thread. If a MOD desires that the thread become a sticky, I have no problem with it. I welcome it.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: G&S NWT Criticisms

Post by B. W. »

The New World Translation is a specific Jehovah witness translation which deliberately leaves out references to the deity of Jesus Christ, instill fear within members of the JW cult not to question its leaders or belief system for to do so inflicts punishment, teaches that Jesus was an Angel and created being. It is a faulty translation and proven in error buy modern textual findings of Greek and Hebrew.

The text you cited can be used to instill fear into a flock of JW’s not to question or doubt or else they’ll be punished…

The actual text refers to another subject matter and if read from Hebrew, identifies that the pre-incarnate Jesus is the one speaking, and the one speakings name is – YHWH of Host…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
dayage
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: G&S NWT Criticisms

Post by dayage »

In the Jehovah’s Witness’s Bible, the New World Translation, John 8:58 reads, “Before Abraham came into existence, I have been.” “I have been” is wrong. In Greek it says Ego Eimi (I AM). Jesus was claiming the name that God used in Exodus 3:14, which means He is eternal, not just ancient. In all of the surrounding verses they translate these two Greek words as I AM (John 8:12, 18, 24, 28; 9:9; 10:7, 9, 11, 14, etc). Why do they change it here? Because, they teach that Jesus is Michael the Archangel who was exalted to become a second god.

Funny that this teaching and their translation of John 1:1 “and the Word was a god,” proves that they are polytheists. Yet, they claim to be monotheists and often accuse Christians of believing in multiple gods.