question about pets and cremation

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Vash
Recognized Member

question about pets and cremation

Post by Vash »

First off, I'm not one of those people who care more for animals than humans, but having said that, I do in fact care for my pets. Just thought I should preface this by saying that in case someone feels they should question my priorities. Also, this may be in the wrong forum, but I did a few searches throughout the board and didn't find anything about this already.

Anyway, having said all that, my dog (who lived with my mom, but I lived with her too up until only 2 years ago, and so I still consider him my dog) had been sick for a few months. Due to living on my own, I didn't get to see him much, but I knew he had been sick and I would always ask my mom how he was doing whenever I spoke with her. I loved that dog.

But this morning, my mom came over and woke me up to tell me that he had gotten worse the past two days and finally he had to be put down just last night. Even though I sort of knew it was coming, I'm still taking it in. As we were talking about him, my mom said she's certain he's in Heaven.

Later on, I got curious and asked what was done with his body afterward, and she said that he was cremated. Because apparently that's what most if not all vets do now after they put animals down.

So between that, and her comment about him being in Heaven, I sort of got concerned, because I believe that cremation is wrong. Though, I really only think that in regards to humans, but I really never thought about in regards to pets. So with that said, is it wrong for pets to be cremated? Do cremated pets go to Heaven (assuming pets go to Heaven at all, which I believe they do)?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: question about pets and cremation

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Hi Vash,

Good to see you again. I hope you're doing well.

I honestly don't know the specific answer to your question. I believe enough in God's grace and love for us, that as His children if we need or require our pets to be with us in heaven He is certainly capable of doing it.

In terms of cremation, that's an issue from the past for humans in which for a long time burial was practiced because of the belief that with a bodily resurrection the body must be preserved as much as possible so that it can then rise at the appointed time. Of course, even with burial, decomposition takes place and given a long enough time, all that remains is the bones and God's power will come into play for restoration as He sees fit at that time anyway.
Rev 20:11 - 21:1 says I saw a large white throne and the one who was sitting on it. The earth and the sky fled from his presence and there was no place for them. I saw the dead, the great and the lowly, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. Then another scroll was opened, the book of life. The dead were judged according to their deeds, by what was written in the scrolls. The sea gave up its dead; then Death and Hades gave up their dead. All the dead were judged according to their deeds. "
This is referring to people of course not animals, but it makes clear that at this time in the future all the dead will be raised and none left out. That includes people cremated, buried at sea, dismembered or any other scenario you can create.

So no, it's not wrong for pets to be cremated and any plans God has for them will not in any way be thwarted by doing so.

Everyone has to make their own decisions with regard to burial methods on their own (or for their loved ones) and even in that case, I wouldn't say that cremation is "wrong" from the perspective of it impacting God's ability. That's not an issue. It's a matter of conscience for all involved and whatever brings you peace, I'd daresay is OK.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Can I ask why you feel cremation of humans is wrong or bad? I personally don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to take up useless space, and as Canuckster pointed out, I don't think it really conflicts with Christianity. Just curious. I also have no idea about pets in heaven, though my friend who was raised Catholic (and is now a non-denominational Christian) said his priest growing up said that pets go to Hell. I have no idea if that's really what the Bible says but I think it had something to do with them not having an "immortal soul" like humans, so they don't get judged. That's about all the info I have to offer.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Vash wrote:First off, I'm not one of those people who care more for animals than humans, but having said that, I do in fact care for my pets. Just thought I should preface this by saying that in case someone feels they should question my priorities. Also, this may be in the wrong forum, but I did a few searches throughout the board and didn't find anything about this already.

Anyway, having said all that, my dog (who lived with my mom, but I lived with her too up until only 2 years ago, and so I still consider him my dog) had been sick for a few months. Due to living on my own, I didn't get to see him much, but I knew he had been sick and I would always ask my mom how he was doing whenever I spoke with her. I loved that dog.

But this morning, my mom came over and woke me up to tell me that he had gotten worse the past two days and finally he had to be put down just last night. Even though I sort of knew it was coming, I'm still taking it in. As we were talking about him, my mom said she's certain he's in Heaven.

Later on, I got curious and asked what was done with his body afterward, and she said that he was cremated. Because apparently that's what most if not all vets do now after they put animals down.

So between that, and her comment about him being in Heaven, I sort of got concerned, because I believe that cremation is wrong. Though, I really only think that in regards to humans, but I really never thought about in regards to pets. So with that said, is it wrong for pets to be cremated? Do cremated pets go to Heaven (assuming pets go to Heaven at all, which I believe they do)?
Awww, Vash first off I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss:(
I know what its like to care for a dog also as I still think of my old Poodle who passed away. I loved that little guy like family.
Why do you think I chose this screen name:), That was my poodles name:)

I agree with canuckster in that the Lord knows how much we care for our pets and I truely believe that I will see Bippy in Heaven one day also, as I believe that you will also see your dog there one day.
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Ivellious wrote:Can I ask why you feel cremation of humans is wrong or bad? I personally don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to take up useless space, and as Canuckster pointed out, I don't think it really conflicts with Christianity. Just curious. I also have no idea about pets in heaven, though my friend who was raised Catholic (and is now a non-denominational Christian) said his priest growing up said that pets go to Hell. I have no idea if that's really what the Bible says but I think it had something to do with them not having an "immortal soul" like humans, so they don't get judged. That's about all the info I have to offer.
Ivellious, Im catholic and I while I have heard it once or twice from certain people, I dont believe that the catholic church teaches this. I believe that God would want us to be completely happy in heaven so I would expect to see bippy there. The love our pets have for us and the love we have for our pets is so pure and simple. Im sure God would want those relationships to continue eternally in heaven.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Well I stand corrected, bippy. I was just pointing out I have heard the Catholic church has taught this to my friend (and my mother, upon more recent questioning) so that's all I know on the subject. I don't think the Bible explicitly says anything on the topic, but I think the rationale by the church is simply that no immortal soul=no heaven, which according to scripture makes sense, but I personally don't know if there is anything else that stands to the contrary.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:Well I stand corrected, bippy. I was just pointing out I have heard the Catholic church has taught this to my friend (and my mother, upon more recent questioning) so that's all I know on the subject. I don't think the Bible explicitly says anything on the topic, but I think the rationale by the church is simply that no immortal soul=no heaven, which according to scripture makes sense, but I personally don't know if there is anything else that stands to the contrary.
Ivellious, this is just my opinion fwiw, but only mankind has an eternal spirit.(not the same eternal as God, who has no beginning, as humans do) After physical death, man's spirit, will exist in eternity. Either, in the presence of God(heaven), or eternally apart from God(hell). Animals that physically lived on earth, have no spirit, and will cease to exist, at the time of death. Like I said, just my opinion.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Rick, that's basically my point and to my knowledge that's what Christianity says. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing or saying whether that is "good" or "bad" in any sense. Just saying what I know.
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Ivellious wrote:Well I stand corrected, bippy. I was just pointing out I have heard the Catholic church has taught this to my friend (and my mother, upon more recent questioning) so that's all I know on the subject. I don't think the Bible explicitly says anything on the topic, but I think the rationale by the church is simply that no immortal soul=no heaven, which according to scripture makes sense, but I personally don't know if there is anything else that stands to the contrary.
Ivellious I'm not surprised by what your friend was taught also because my old catholic bible study teacher taught us that.
I'm just glad the church as a whole doesn't teach that. My best friend who I called brother passed away 2 years ago, and his dog was like family to him. It's weird that as soon as be passed away his pet just all of a sudden passed away too. Everyone talked about how strong of a connection they had with each other. The dog was disabled and a disabled dog in Calcutta is thought of as low as garbage, but he loved that little guy so much.

I'm just happy the my best friend came to Christ 9 years ago though he had to hide it in a mostly Hindu city.
I pray every night before I sleep that God allows his dog to be with him and in my heart I sense he is:)
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

RickD wrote:
Ivellious, this is just my opinion fwiw, but only mankind has an eternal spirit.(not the same eternal as God, who has no beginning, as humans do) After physical death, man's spirit, will exist in eternity. Either, in the presence of God(heaven), or eternally apart from God(hell). Animals that physically lived on earth, have no spirit, and will cease to exist, at the time of death. Like I said, just my opinion.
Rick I'm relying on God's infinite heart on this one that he didn't bring these pets into our lives just so we would lose them forever.:)
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

I would not worry about it. It is nice that you cared for the dog so much. I too had a dog that had to be put down. It was really sad to me as I was just a boy and loved that dog very, very much.

Be encouraged! If dogs do have souls, it is unaffected by burial, cremation or any physical factors whatsoever. That is what we are really talking about here, the soul or spirit of the dog. The same is true for humans. We do not need to worry about our physical bodies after death, they become irrelevant to anything besides the physical and in no way effect the goings on of our spirit.