The Flat Earth Myth

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Flat Earth Myth

Post by ultimate777 »

If http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/rus ... Earth.html is to be believed the idea that the educated people in Columbus's time thought the Earth was flat was spread by anti-Christians. Too bad my pastor had to spread it from the pulpit last night :shakehead:

If the people you trust for religious guidence believed the Earth was flat, would you believe it y:-/
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Flat Earth Myth

Post by RickD »

Are you saying your pastor believes in a flat earth? We had some fun with a flat earth thread here a little while back, but in all seriousness, if your pastor believes in a flat earth, you need to bail out of there quickly, and don't look back.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Are you saying your pastor believes in a flat earth? We had some fun with a flat earth thread here a little while back, but in all seriousness, if your pastor believes in a flat earth, you need to bail out of there quickly, and don't look back.
I wonder if there's any room for a pastor on the international space station. Oh the horror! :esurprised:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Are you saying your pastor believes in a flat earth? We had some fun with a flat earth thread here a little while back, but in all seriousness, if your pastor believes in a flat earth, you need to bail out of there quickly, and don't look back.
I wonder if there's any room for a pastor on the international space station. Oh the horror! :esurprised:
According to Flat Earthers, there is no international space station. :mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:According to Flat Earthers, there is no international space station. :mrgreen:
We ought to shine a laser beam on every flat earther from the ISS. But then again, they'd think they're being raptured. :cloud9:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I think the issue isn't that the pastor believed the Earth is flat, but rather that he said Christians used to think that way. I might be wrong, but that's how I read it.

I think it's absolutely false that most educated people of the times thought the Earth was flat. By that time the bigger questions were about the size of the Earth and the ancient origins/age of the Earth. The problem is, most people of that era were not educated, and even religious leaders were not typically educated beyond literacy and religious instruction. I don't doubt that some people believed the Earth was flat, and many religious documents (including the Bible) were at one time interpreted in such a way.

Of course, some really bright people knew the shape and the size of the Earth before biblical times using astronomical information. Pretty crazy stuff, but their ideas were overshadowed for many, many years by strict philosophical and religious dogma and Columbus's trip certainly was a good step toward universal acceptance of a spherical Earth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:
I think the issue isn't that the pastor believed the Earth is flat, but rather that he said Christians used to think that way. I might be wrong, but that's how I read it.
I hope you're right, Ivellious. Hopefully, Ultimate777 will respond soon, so we can find out.

Byblos wrote:
We ought to shine a laser beam on every flat earther from the ISS. But then again, they'd think they're being raptured. :cloud9:
Byblos, that's just plain wrong. Don't you think those ignorant Christians need our sympathy, not cruel jokes? :pound: Flat earth... :pound: :pound: :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

My pastor does not believe the world is flat. He believes educted people in Columbus's time believed it was flat :shakehead:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:My pastor does not believe the world is flat. He believes educted people in Columbus's time believed it was flat :shakehead:
Thanks for clearing that up! y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

ultimate777 wrote:If the people you trust for religious guidence believed the Earth was flat, would you believe it
If you repeat a lie often enough, the people will believe it. - Joseph Goebbles

The Earth is FLat
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
joelhamme
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Framework

Post by joelhamme »

Educated people in the Middle Ages did not believe that the Earth was flat, Christian or otherwise. That is anti-Christian propaganda, as is the idea that Christianity was anti-science. Unfortunately, a number of Christians believed the propaganda, and are anti-science.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Strange as it is to conceive that some people at some point in history believed in a flat earth it seems even more nonsensical to believe that the heavenly bodies do appear to be on a fairly flat plane in space. How might this be rationalized?
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:If the people you trust for religious guidence believed the Earth was flat, would you believe it
If you repeat a lie often enough, the people will believe it. - Joseph Goebbles

The Earth is FLat
Does this mean you've finally become a round earther again :lol:
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Murray wrote:Does this mean you've finally become a round earther again :lol:
I have never been a round earther. Walk outside your home and you'll see that the earth is flat. If you repeat a lie often enough, the people will believe it: this applies to the round earth myth. You and other round earthers, even with all the evidence before you, continue believing a lie perpetrated by government and the CIA.

FOOLS!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

You mean

FooLs! :lol:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.