The Best Apologists?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Stygian
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Best Apologists?

Post by Stygian »

Who are some of your favorite apologists?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: The Best Apologists?

Post by RickD »

Ken Ham, Jason Lisle...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

Since we already have Ham saying funny things to Hugh Ross in another thread, tah-dah!: http://www.apologetics315.com/2010/04/h ... ebate.html
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stygian, I think this is the same one:http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ilit=Lisle

Although, it looks like the links I posted don't work anymore.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

RickD wrote:Stygian, I think this is the same one:http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ilit=Lisle

Although, it looks like the links I posted don't work anymore.
Oh, I see! But if it was a video like you say, the link I provided is an audio debate.
Last edited by Stygian on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

One of my favorite apologists is probably Dinesh D'Souza. I converted a man (okay, he became a deist, but that's close enough) after he heard just one of his arguments. (The Fine-tuned universe.) Then again, I only read three apologetic books (Holman Quicksource guide to Christian Apologetics, Know Why You Believe, What's So Great About Christianity) and D'Souza's was by far the best one I've ever read.

I also listened to a lecture by John Lennox and he was pretty good, too.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

I'm not a huge fan of some apologists, but I respect the work of Gary Habermas on the minimal facts approach to the resurrection. It strikes me as a very useful apologetic as it doesn't require that one accept any controversial premises. Indeed, only those facts that are almost universally agreed upon by scholars are used in his arguments, and even these facts are enough to provide a very strong case for the resurrection. It forces the skeptic determined to argue against it either to use a weak philosophical argument against miracles or try to deny one or more of his minimal facts, which means taking a radical position that makes them look dumb.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

It depends what you mean by "apologist". Anyone who's written to defend the faith, or the popular debate style guys? If its the former, I like the classic Lewis, Chesterton, Schaeffer, classic theologians, etc. Some guys focus on theology and scholarly endeavors so I'm not sure whether they should be classified as apologists or not. Habermas is good, Craig and Feser.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I'm actually a fan of apologists that simply challenge the norms of mainstream Christianity. C.S. Lewis challenged the common views regarding angels, the devil, and heaven and hell. This is also what attracted me to old-earth creation apologists, who tried going beyond basic understanding and the English translation of scripture. Of course, Hugh Ross does come to mind immediately =D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stygian wrote:I'm actually a fan of apologists that simply challenge the norms of mainstream Christianity. C.S. Lewis challenged the common views regarding angels, the devil, and heaven and hell. This is also what attracted me to old-earth creation apologists, who tried going beyond basic understanding and the English translation of scripture. Of course, Hugh Ross does come to mind immediately =D
Hugh Ross? Isn't he a "compromiser"? :pound: :pound:

Actually, one of Ross' books is my favorites: A Matter of Days.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Geisler, Ross, Archer, C.S. Lewis, Ankerberg, Habermas, Metzger, Strobels, Copan, Behe, Craig, Phillip Johnson, Francis Schaeffer, Walter Martin, Hanegraaff
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Dr William Lane Craig without a shawdow of a doubt - Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!!!! IMHO One of the greatest apologetic Philosphers I have ever read or listen to. Easy counts up to Lewis in my estimation.
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

I'd like to update: My new favorites are William Lane Craig and Lee Strobel. Their books changed my life.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:Geisler, Ross, Archer, C.S. Lewis, Ankerberg, Habermas, Metzger, Strobels, Copan, Behe, Craig, Phillip Johnson, Francis Schaeffer, Walter Martin, Hanegraaff
Add to this list - Ravi Zacharias
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner