New papyrus found

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

New papyrus found

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Re: New papyrus found

If Jesus really did have a wife this lends weight to the argument that he really did suffer like the rest of us. :pound:

Sorry no offence ladies but I couldn't help it. :mrgreen:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Well, the article is from Australia so it's gotta be true. :swoon:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

A dingo stole my baby. :shelp:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:A dingo stole my baby. :shelp:
I just saw that Australia has one of the world's most dangerous beaches, because dingos eat babies there. I thought pitbulls were bad dogs, but they've got nuthin on dingos.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Jesus has a wife...she is called "the Church".
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

neo-x wrote:Jesus has a wife...she is called "the Church".
Hammer meet nail.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Context is everything and right now we do NOT know the context of the verse in question.
Jesus having a wife is irrelevant to any Christian doctrine and would not effect anything anyway, there is no prohibition for a jewish "rabbi", prophet or messiah to NOT have a wife and some of the apsotles were married and there never was any prohibition against marriage untill much later.
The fact is that if Jesus was married there would have been no issue in stating that in the NT and it probably would have been mentioned by historians like Tacitus or Pliny or Josephus, perhaps even used by critics ( they certainly made use of the rumour he was illegitimate).
There is no conspiracy in regards to Jesus martial status.
What is know is that about the time of this papryus, it was very common ( especially the coptic ones like this one) to "make things up" to add to the "legend" of Christ, either to make him more human or less human.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

This sounds like the typical gnostic writings from the 3rd and 4th century of which there were many.
The Gnostics believed such things such as Judas was the apostle and didn't really betray Christ but instead corroborated secretly with Jesus to make sure Jesus was crucified and that Jesus imparted the secrets of eternal life to Judas alone .

There were so many wacky stories coming from the Gnostics , and the early Christians stamped out many fantasy views lime these. Let's not even get into the fact that the historicity of gnostic documents were extremely poor compared to the historicity of the new testament scriptures. Stories like this were a dime a dozen in the 3rd and 4th century.
This sort of thing doesn't even show up on my radar screen.
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

If I recall correctly, Karen King, the Harvard professor whose name appears in the linked article, distinctly stated that this find sheds no light on the historical Jesus. It is certainly an interesting find (the type the media really likes to spread around), but I don't think anyone is going to take it very seriously.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

Icthus wrote:If I recall correctly, Karen King, the Harvard professor whose name appears in the linked article, distinctly stated that this find sheds no light on the historical Jesus. It is certainly an interesting find (the type the media really likes to spread around), but I don't think anyone is going to take it very seriously.
Correct Icthus and notice that in anti Christian sites like yahoo you wont have the title new find sheds no light on the historic Jesus, but instead tries to sensationalize it in a way that is anti Christians. Yahoo is anti-Christian y:O2 ?

I cant believe it :pound:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Icthus wrote:If I recall correctly, Karen King, the Harvard professor whose name appears in the linked article, distinctly stated that this find sheds no light on the historical Jesus. It is certainly an interesting find (the type the media really likes to spread around), but I don't think anyone is going to take it very seriously.
I am sure someone will bring it up in a book or movie, LOL !

I used to give scholars that benefit of the doubt when "sensationalist claims" were made by them, thinking that it was just the press, but ever since Barth Ehrman I realized that they KNOW what sells and they market accordingly.
After all, she was the one that titled it " The Gospel of Jesus wife".