Prayers & Requests

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Prayers & Requests

Post by Proinsias »

I've been here a while and really appreciate the place.

Just a thought on the Prayer & Requests section. I've seen a few posts here over the past few years that I'd like to offer the best I can, which amounts to little more than a "Thinking of you" or "Thoughts are with you and your family" type of thing. I refrain from doing so as it's in the prayer request forum and I don't pray, at least not in traditional Christian sense.

I decided when I joined years back not to post at all in this section of the board but as I get to know people here it seems a little odd to engage in debate whilst apparently ignoring the sort of things that would lead them to ask for prayer requests. I realise there is a pm function but was wondering what the boards thoughts were on a non-Christian posting in this area of the board.

I've had medical issues myself of late and pm's I received here offering prayer were of great comfort. I'd like to offer the occasional "Thinking of you" but wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Prayers & Requests

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I think it is very noble to let others know you are thinking of them in times of suffering and pain. I for one would not have any issue with such a kind request.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Proinsias wrote:I've been here a while and really appreciate the place.

Just a thought on the Prayer & Requests section. I've seen a few posts here over the past few years that I'd like to offer the best I can, which amounts to little more than a "Thinking of you" or "Thoughts are with you and your family" type of thing. I refrain from doing so as it's in the prayer request forum and I don't pray, at least not in traditional Christian sense.

I decided when I joined years back not to post at all in this section of the board but as I get to know people here it seems a little odd to engage in debate whilst apparently ignoring the sort of things that would lead them to ask for prayer requests. I realise there is a pm function but was wondering what the boards thoughts were on a non-Christian posting in this area of the board.

I've had medical issues myself of late and pm's I received here offering prayer were of great comfort. I'd like to offer the occasional "Thinking of you" but wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers.
Many times when I respond to prayer requests I tend to mention my 'thoughts' before my 'prayers'. Many others do the same. We are creatures of community and a large part of the comfort we receive comes from the knowledge that others around us are thinking of us. So keep on offering your 'thoughts' Proin, they are as welcome and as needed as prayers.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cheezerrox »

I wouldn't have any problems with any of those on the board who aren't believers adding their thoughts in the Prayers and Requests section. Just the basic communication of empathy and compassion is something that is wonderful, and there's nothing wrong with doing so in that section of the forum, even if the prayer part doesn't really apply to you. This forum's a community, and I think that if we can get past our differences for the sake of showing love, it's a community I'm really proud to be a part of.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel