Palm Scanner ? OR something Else

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
tunde1992
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Palm Scanner ? OR something Else

Post by tunde1992 »

Instead of paying for their lunches with crumpled dollar bills and loose change, students in Carroll County schools are having their palms scanned in a new check-out system — raising concerns from some parents that their children’s privacy is being violated.
The county is one of the first localities in Maryland to use the PalmSecure system, in which children from kindergarten to 12th grade place their hands above an infrared scanner. It identifies unique palm and vein patterns, and converts the image into an encrypted numeric algorithm that records a sale.
Though the school system does not store those images, some parents have complained about the implications of having their children’s hands scanned. About 20 percent of parents have declined to participate in the program, said supervisor of food services Karen Sarno.
“I didn’t appreciate how they handled it,” said Mike Richmond, who has two children at Westminster’s Cranberry Elementary School. He said that the school scanned their hands before sending the opt-out form. “I’m concerned about it. I know it’s the way of the future, but it’s fingerprinting, it’s palm-printing.”
Moss Bluff Elementary School in Louisiana is looking to streamline lunch payments by implementing a palm vein scanner program, but some parents aren't pleased.
http://www.kplctv.com/category/240197/n ... Id=7613045Link to the Video
A letter to parents this week informed them of the new scanner that will allow the school's nearly 1,000 students to move through the lunch line faster and with fewer payment mistakes -- an issue that had arisen in the past, KPLC-TV reports.

While the letter notes that parents can opt their children out of the program, parent Mamie Sonnier told KPLC-TV that she was angry and disappointed by the program, as the scanner violates her beliefs. She contends that if the scanners actually make it to the school cafeteria, she'll be transferring her kids to another school.

"As a Christian, I've read the Bible, you know go to church and stuff," Sonnier said. "I know where it's going to end up coming to, the mark of the beast. I'm not going to let my kids have that."

Calderara notes that it's just "technology that is used throughout our lives. Everywhere."

Florida's Pinellas Schools were the first to adopt palm scanning technology to pay for lunch last fall under a voluntary program. The technology uses infrared light to read unique vein patterns connected to meal plans.

"It's two seconds to buy a meal. Literally, two seconds," Edward Rutenbeck, senior user support analyst with Pinellas Schools Food Services told WTSP.

I Think its Cool:P
Nothing Dangerous or anything God ..For now its just a palm scanner
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
-matthew 6:33
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Palm Scanner ? OR something Else

Post by Sam1995 »

Can't say I wouldn't love to give it a try! Who knows, maybe it isn't of the devil as that person says! :lol: :lol:

SB y:O2
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I have clients (banks) in the Caribbean Islands that have been plagued by a rash of debit/credit card cloning by Venezuelan gangs so they commissioned us for a solution. I'm currently leading a project to develop an interface with an iris scanner that will be used at ATMs (to start) for identification and authentication that will eliminate the use of credit/debit cards and PINs. Technology is a good thing (for the most part).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I'm currently leading a project to develop an interface with an iris scanner that will be used at ATMs (to start) for identification and authentication that will eliminate the use of credit/debit cards and PINs. Technology is a good thing (for the most part).
Why does "iris scanner" make me think of that German guy in Avengers that Loki got a hold of? y:O2
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

RickD wrote:
I'm currently leading a project to develop an interface with an iris scanner that will be used at ATMs (to start) for identification and authentication that will eliminate the use of credit/debit cards and PINs. Technology is a good thing (for the most part).
Why does "iris scanner" make me think of that German guy in Avengers that Loki got a hold of? y:O2
Because they're both things that scan the eye. But Loki was using hypnosis, iris scanners are just identification.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Dudeacus97 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Because they're both things that scan the eye. But Loki was using hypnosis, iris scanners are just identification.
No, Loki got the guy's eye, so Hawkeye could get in the door. Remember, Loki jammed that metal thing in the guy's face?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

RickD wrote:
Dudeacus97 wrote:
RickD wrote:
No, Loki got the guy's eye, so Hawkeye could get in the door. Remember, Loki jammed that metal thing in the guy's face?
I'm sorry I didn't pay attention the entire time.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Dudeacus97 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Dudeacus97 wrote:
RickD wrote:
I'm sorry I didn't pay attention the entire time.
I don't even know what's going on anymore... y#-o

SB y:-?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Sam1995 wrote: I don't even know what's going on anymore... y#-o

Sam, then you reeeeeely need to see The Avengers. It is the bestest movie evar!!!!!

-Edward R Murrow

Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

RickD wrote:
Sam1995 wrote: I don't even know what's going on anymore... y#-o

Sam, then you reeeeeely need to see The Avengers. It is the bestest movie evar!!!!!

Still ashamed of myself that I never saw it when it came out...

SB