What was the Sabbath pointing too?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
digging
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

What was the Sabbath pointing too?

Post by digging »

hello everyone,

I don't follow the sabbath today like SDA or others however I have been thinking much about the great meaning that the sabbath was pointing too. What about anyone else? Have you wondered if it was a 'type' then what is the fufilment of the sabbath and what can we really learn from it?

Digging
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What was the Sabbath pointing too?

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

The Sabbath to me is taking time out to relax and spend time with God, this is important to do as we will wear ourselves out and wreak our minds and bodies.

I believe that this is what the Sabbath was pointing to, not a particular day but just to set aside some time for us and God.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by GreyDeSilvisanctis »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:The Sabbath to me is taking time out to relax and spend time with God, this is important to do as we will wear ourselves out and wreak our minds and bodies.

I believe that this is what the Sabbath was pointing to, not a particular day but just to set aside some time for us and God.

Dan
To Dan, I give a very good :amen: !
We should have a separate day exclusively for God. But this doesn't mean it is the only day we can commune with God, in fact, we can pray to Him everyday and let Him guide our way. It's always a good time with Him in my book.

~Grey :)
digging
Familiar Member

Post by digging »

I'm just testing something I've tried two times now to post back on this topic and it has been lost.

Digging
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

digging wrote:hello everyone,

I don't follow the sabbath today like SDA or others however I have been thinking much about the great meaning that the sabbath was pointing too. What about anyone else? Have you wondered if it was a 'type' then what is the fufilment of the sabbath and what can we really learn from it?

Digging
Good question... And the answer I believe is... Drum roll please.. We don't exactly know.

But main point of it is understanding what our heavenly father is trying to convey... It could mean these things.

1. It provide us a day so that we don't burn ourselves out in this working society that never seems to stop.
2. It provides unity. Example, it we start choosing our own days off from the Biblical commandments, it slowly starts creating division. The idea here is that G-d wants unity for His believers so that we pull away from society, to be set apart. If we start picking and choosing our own days, that creates disunity to the Church body.
3. We follow it anyways because it is commanded by G-d. Much like obeying a loving parent. Even if we don't know why...

Anyways, I choose the Shabbat to be in step Biblically.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

digging wrote:hello everyone,

Digging
The Jewish Sabbath points to the Sabbath rest we have in Jesus Christ. :sleep:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think the whole notion of the sabbath to be very important.
I know nowadays we tend to not appreciate that not too long ago, working 7 days a week was normal.
I think that one day of rest to be with those we love brings us closer to God than anything.
I know that when I spend the day with my wife and kids I thank the lord for the blessings He has given us.
Can't help it really.
A day of rest, a day to worship, a day to experience love, I mean, how is that NOT good?
I believe the sabbath points to Christ as the fulfillment of God's plan and in Christ, one day, we ALL will finally rest.
digging
Familiar Member

Post by digging »

Wonderful! I'm glad someone here even follows the traditional practise still since that might give you the patience to hear me out. For some time now I kept having the feeling there was still points of meaning I was missing with the whole lesson within the Sabbath practice of the past.

The points I hope to share I have only come to from a personal look so they might seem a bit odd at first.

As I have mentioned in another post I believe we can also learn from nature to help us get clearer understanding about bible topics. Well in nature there is a very strong cycle of 'rest' build into the living world. All mammals have a sleep cycle and even the earth has the seasons of winter to summer which also are a type of rest. Then of course we have the bible account of God saying he worked and then rested on the 7th day. As well we also have the accounts of the 7th year sabbath and the 50th year for resting the land and all the people.

Matthew 11:28 NAS

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:29 NAS

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

Hebrews 4:9 NAS

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

OK now the point I'm trying to make.....I agree we have a kind of rest now within our faith in Christ howeverI see the future at Christs return as the time a truly great Sabbath rest is to happen during the '1000's year'.

However I'm also seeing a strong connection between the mark of the beast 666 and this great rest.

Revelation 14:11 NAS

"And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever ; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

hear me out just a little longer.....

Recall there was three main sabbath rests, the weekly, 7th year, and the 7th of the 7th year, three Sabbaths of 7 all in which the observer would find rest and yet the ones with the mark of 666 have NO REST, that surely has to mean something???

Here is one more scripture I feel is connected. Since I see the account in Joel as also applying to the final end days of the world here is another reference to this 'great sabbath' to come for believers.

Joel 1:14 Consecrate a fast, Proclaim a solemn assembly( Sabbath); Gather the elders And all the inhabitants of the land To the house of the LORD your God, And cry out to the LORD.

Well I'm sure that is enought for now......

Digging
digging
Familiar Member

Post by digging »

I guess I spooked you all with that last little point....

Ok here are a few other thoughts with the pattern or lessons in the bible with the sabbaths.

If some one did self serving work on the sabbath they were to be killed. We are now looking to the future 1000's years in which the judgement will occur and all final sinners will suffer the 2nd death.

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath and taught as well as healed on the sabbath. Are we not looking for him to return as Lord and have the whole world learn about the goodness of God and have all who respond be healed?

Will not that future day of return then be the great Sabbath Jubilee and day of atonement?

Isaiah 58:6 "Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke ? 7 "Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the homeless poor into the house ; When you see the naked, to cover him; And not to hide yourself from your own flesh ? 8"Then your light will break out like the dawn, And your recovery will speedily spring forth ; And your righteousness will go before you; The glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. 9"Then you will call, and the LORD will answer ; You will cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.' If you remove the yoke from your midst, The pointing of the finger and speaking wickedness, 10 And if you give yourself to the hungry And satisfy the desire of the afflicted, Then your light will rise in darkness And your gloom will become like midday. 11 "And the LORD will continually guide you, And satisfy your desire in scorched places, And give strength to your bones ; And you will be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail. 12 "Those from among you will rebuild the ancient ruins ; You will raise up the age-old foundations ; And you will be called the repairer of the breach, The restorer of the streets in which to dwell.

Also 13"If because of the sabbath, you turn your foot From doing your own pleasure on My holy day, And call the sabbath a delight, the holy day of the LORD honorable, And honor it, desisting from your own ways, From seeking your own pleasure And speaking your own word, 14Then you will take delight in the LORD, And I will make you ride on the heights of the earth ; And I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Digging