Books ?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Celt
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Books ?

Post by Celt »

What books are on your 'to read list'? Or books you have finished you would recommend ?
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Books ?

Post by Sam1995 »

If you're talking Christian books, here are a couple of great ones for reading! Been delving into these two recently. Both amazing pastors of churches in America!

Francis Chan - Crazy love
Francis Chan - The forgotten God
Francis Chan - Araising hell

Steven Furtick - Sun Stand Still
Steven Furtick - Greater

ANYTHING by C.S Lewis.
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Picked these up at the bargain price of five for a pound so the reading list has been rejigged to accommodate:
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG (250.91 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Nearly done with the Object of Morality which is interesting but a little dry at times, the History of Philosophy in the Middle ages & Renaissance looks to be the best of the bunch and is next on the list.

The last book I really enjoyed was On Waiting, the perfect book to read whilst waiting, thoughtful and beautifully written - my wife managed about two pages before declaring it infuriatingly dull but each to their own:

My bedtime book at the moment, which on reflection is possibly not the best choice for a bedtime book is:

And last but not least, Mr Stink as my daughters current bedtime story, not quite up to Roald Dahl's standard who he seems to be impersonating, with a little help from Quentin Blake, but a decent read:
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Proinsias wrote:Picked these up at the bargain price of five for a pound so the reading list has been rejigged to accommodate:
IMG_5692.JPG
Nearly done with the Object of Morality which is interesting but a little dry at times, the History of Philosophy in the Middle ages & Renaissance looks to be the best of the bunch and is next on the list.

The last book I really enjoyed was On Waiting, the perfect book to read whilst waiting, thoughtful and beautifully written - my wife managed about two pages before declaring it infuriatingly dull but each to their own:

My bedtime book at the moment, which on reflection is possibly not the best choice for a bedtime book is:

And last but not least, Mr Stink as my daughters current bedtime story, not quite up to Roald Dahl's standard who he seems to be impersonating, with a little help from Quentin Blake, but a decent read:
This 'Mr Stink', it intrigue me.
NICE layout Amigo, the 'Dark Continent' sounds informative and interesting. Thank you.
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Sam1995 wrote:If you're talking Christian books, here are a couple of great ones for reading! Been delving into these two recently. Both amazing pastors of churches in America!

Francis Chan - Crazy love
Francis Chan - The forgotten God
Francis Chan - Araising hell

Steven Furtick - Sun Stand Still
Steven Furtick - Greater

ANYTHING by C.S Lewis.
The book 'The Forgotten God' sounds good
And the book 'Eraising Hell' sounds execellent. Maybe it ties in with one of my questions i asked on here ? You trying to tell me something Sam ?
C.S. Lewis fan also, going to get his 'Mere Christanity'. Heard it was a great book.
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Oops, double post. Sorry
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I would avoid anything by Francis Chan. I've read Crazy Love twice, and even did a group study based around the book. Chan is the epitome of modern reformed Lordship Salvation teaching. He is a VERY good speaker, no question. And, his books do speak to the apathy in the US church today. However, his remedy is one that says your salvation is really about your 'performance,' and he has made some Crazy statements, IMO.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

jlay wrote:I would avoid anything by Francis Chan. I've read Crazy Love twice, and even did a group study based around the book. Chan is the epitome of modern reformed Lordship Salvation teaching. He is a VERY good speaker, no question. And, his books do speak to the apathy in the US church today. However, his remedy is one that says your salvation is really about your 'performance,' and he has made some Crazy statements, IMO.
Thanks jlay. I have never heard of the reformed Lordship Salvation, i will have to do some research/reading it appears. One's Salvation is really about your performance. I can understand if one became totally wraped up in this 'performance' and losing sight of other things or areas, yet isn't our preforming a part of our salvation? Our actions, our deeds ? Our being Christian, to be Christ-like denoting a effort on our part or performance ?
Iv'e mentioned it before and will again, this is still all new to me. I still have diaper rash when it comes to the Bible, etc. I'm trying to learn all i can and glean as much healthy and truthful knowledge as i can, yet so often it seems the more i try to learn the so many more differing views there are. Feels like i'm being blown around in crosswinds at times.
I appreciate any and all info.
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I think every Christian should read "The Screwtape Letters." One of my favorites.
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Stygian wrote:I think every Christian should read "The Screwtape Letters." One of my favorites.
Just read a review on it. Sounds great. The review put me in mind of a book i had read years ago, i had forgotten about, that i really liked. 'The Diary of Adam and Eve' - Mark Twain
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I'd also recommend taking a look at Focus on the Family's radio theater adaptation of it, starring Andy Serkis (Gollum/Smeagol from Lord of the Rings).
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Celt wrote:
jlay wrote:I would avoid anything by Francis Chan. I've read Crazy Love twice, and even did a group study based around the book. Chan is the epitome of modern reformed Lordship Salvation teaching. He is a VERY good speaker, no question. And, his books do speak to the apathy in the US church today. However, his remedy is one that says your salvation is really about your 'performance,' and he has made some Crazy statements, IMO.
Thanks jlay. I have never heard of the reformed Lordship Salvation, i will have to do some research/reading it appears. One's Salvation is really about your performance. I can understand if one became totally wraped up in this 'performance' and losing sight of other things or areas, yet isn't our preforming a part of our salvation? Our actions, our deeds ? Our being Christian, to be Christ-like denoting a effort on our part or performance ?
Iv'e mentioned it before and will again, this is still all new to me. I still have diaper rash when it comes to the Bible, etc. I'm trying to learn all i can and glean as much healthy and truthful knowledge as i can, yet so often it seems the more i try to learn the so many more differing views there are. Feels like i'm being blown around in crosswinds at times.
I appreciate any and all info.
This is often the misunderstanding. I hold to free grace, and that it really is free. God's gift to be received by faith alone, and not by works. Holding to free grace doesn't mean I do not believe in Christian living, or that there is a way that a believer SHOULD live. However, Chan, Platt and many others claim that it is one's behavior and performance that determine whether one truly received grace to begin with. It's a much more nuanced discussion than this, but that kind of covers the basics. Personally, I think it is one of the most dangerous movements in Christianity today, although really just a result of the neo-Calvinism movement that is gaining momentum today. Afterall, there is nothing new under the sun.

Certainly one must first be a believer to walk as a believer should walk. But is our getting it right what saves us, or proves we are saved to begin with? If so, then no matter how one tries to portray it, they are advocating a salvation that is contingent on how the individual performs.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

You're dead right. If there were a footnote with some of his books, it would be nice. I'm not sure that his original intention was to base our salvation on our performance, I think more that he believes a good performance should be a natural bi-product of salvation, but again that is a subjective opinion of his. Some of his work should maybe be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes. I love his books though.

SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Celt wrote:Oops, double post. Sorry
Fixed
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Thanks everyone