Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Post by Silvertusk »

This might be a stupid question - but William Lance Craig talks about this a lot. He states that the inner witness of the Holy Spirit can be self warranting and greater than any apologetic argument for the existance of God and the truth of Christianity. What exactly does this feel like. Is it just a certaincy or is a different feeling altogether? How do I know I have got it. I would say that I am a Christian and I do believe - but what really does it mean to have an inner witness of the Holy Spirit?

God Bless
Silvertusk.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Re: Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Post by Silvertusk »

I found this at www.sermoncentral.com - Is this an accurate description of what the inner witness of the Holy Spirit is?
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: --Romans 8:16 [KJV]

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth THE SPIRIT of his Son into your hearts,
CRYING, Ab-ba, Father.—Galatians 4:6 [KJV]

When the Holy Spirit speaks to your spirit, you do not hear an audible voice. This is what people call “the inner witness”. The voice of the Holy Spirit to your spirit creates a quiet assurance—a relaxed knowing about something.

The question is, “How can I distinguish the voice of this inner witness? Are there any features that I must look out for? What differentiates the inner witness from an ordinary thought?” There are seven characteristics you must look out for:

1. The inner witness is different from reasoning thoughts.
It is not mental knowledge or logical reasoning. If what you are having is just an ingenious idea, then it’s probably not the inner witness.

2. The inner witness is not a physical feeling.
You will not have a physical feeling per se, since the inner witness is the voice of the Holy Spirit to your spirit. If someone claims that he has a physical feeling in his big toe or his liver that is probably not the inner witness!

3. The inner witness is best identified by eliminating other voices.
A great secret to identifying the inner witness is to eliminate other voices. Ensure that it is not your flesh that wants to do something. Make sure that it is not just a reasonable proposition. There may be some good reason and some good feelings when the Spirit is leading you, but make sure it is not just that!

4. The inner witness is an impression of peace.
The inner witness is an awareness of peace. It is the peace of God that is beyond (passes) understanding, reasoning, logic and physical things.

As you develop spiritually, you will become aware of the peace of God as a method of direction. You will say, “I don’t have peace about this!” At other times you will say, “Even though it sounds odd, I have a peace about this issue. I know it shall be well with me.”

The Apostle Paul described the phenomenon of the inner witness, the peace of God, “an umpire”. It means “to arbitrate”, “to direct” and “to govern”. God is using peace to direct and govern you.
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.--Colossians 3:15.

5. The inner witness is a strong conviction.
The inner witness makes you certain about what the Lord is saying. You begin to have a quiet assurance and confidence about the will of God. Once again, this is not easily explained. Do you think people who give up their lives for the Gospel can explain what they are doing? You cannot easily explain the faith you have! You cannot always explain the convictions you have!

6. The inner witness is repetitive.
The inner witness is the repeated voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to your heart.

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Ab-ba, Father.--Galatians 4:6.

As the Spirit cries continually, it creates an impression in you. You begin to have a conviction about certain things. You begin to now that you know. One characteristic that I have noticed is that the voice of the Spirit is repeated over and over. This happens over several weeks, months and even years.

7. The inner witness is an inexplicable knowing.
After you have heard the voice of the Spirit several times, you begin to know what to do. It creates in you “a knowing”. Sometimes, people ask me, “How did you know what to do?” Sometimes, all I can say is, “I just knew.”

When you take a decision, watch out for that quiet assurance of peace in your heart. That is the Spirit of God, leading you into the will of God for your life.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

A man in firm belief regardless of what that belief may be, can say the same. For example a suicide bomber who explodes on public has the same feeling of confirmation in him, that he actually takes his life along the others.

This kind of feeling of certainty is present in every belief system, not saying that in Christian faith this is meaningless. Just that because of nothing else to contradict it, this kind of becomes unfairly indisputable.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

neo-x wrote:A man in firm belief regardless of what that belief may be, can say the same. For example a suicide bomber who explodes on public has the same feeling of confirmation in him, that he actually takes his life along the others.

This kind of feeling of certainty is present in every belief system, not saying that in Christian faith this is meaningless. Just that because of nothing else to contradict it, this kind of becomes unfairly indisputable.

I agree with that - but my question is - how to I know it is the Spirit on a personal level - and not just my own convicitons.

Basically - the Holy Spirit is the one area of Christianity that I am still not really clear about - the inner witness being one of them.

Basically I have intellectually convinced myself that Christianity is correct - now I want to discover more of the real benefits of having a close and personal relationship with my saviour - in otherwords more emotional experiences if you were. (I am not talking about Charasmatic as I have major issues with that - although that may be part of the problem of course.....)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

how to I know it is the Spirit on a personal level - and not just my own convictions.
You can't. In the end it will be open to doubt on all levels. Because no outside party can determine this. You alone must feel either right or wrong.
Basically - the Holy Spirit is the one area of Christianity that I am still not really clear about - the inner witness being one of them.

Basically I have intellectually convinced myself that Christianity is correct - now I want to discover more of the real benefits of having a close and personal relationship with my saviour - in otherwords more emotional experiences if you were. (I am not talking about Charasmatic as I have major issues with that - although that may be part of the problem of course.....)
To be honest, this conviction should be taken with the rest of the framework of theology. It should be taken with a testimony and works of God in your life, on your understanding of scriptures.

All meta physical claims are somewhere circular but this one is prone to be more on the side of error rather than true.

The holy spirit is not associated with feelings and neither should a believer be looking for those to validate his faith. I personally think that the inner witness of the holy spirit is:

1. The logical answer to where Intellectual reason and evidence has brought you.
2. The confirmation of the scriptures and Jesus's words as well as the apostles that we are granted to be God's children, the holy spirit being the inner witness in us.
3. An experience based in personal revelation, that be in prayer, healing, vow etc. (this again has to be corroborated from scriptures and teachings)

When I was a teenager, I fellow-shipped with people who were very nice, good folks but nonetheless a bit misdirected, close to Charasmatics, thought not officially. Because of that and the books I read about holy spirit by bennyhinn, watching TBN, jesse duplantis, joyce meyer etc and people like them; it kind of twisted my knowledge of God and the holy spirit and I stumbled badly because of the many false teachings present in their material. For i could never communicate to God in the same way yet those books promised it would happen to me as well. And my prayer life looked dead in my own eyes and I slowly began to drift away from the more "spiritual-on fire" crowd. It was only after a good 4-5 years that I was able to shake off those ideas and get a better idea of theology.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:I found this at http://www.sermoncentral.com - Is this an accurate description of what the inner witness of the Holy Spirit is?
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: --Romans 8:16 [KJV]

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth THE SPIRIT of his Son into your hearts,
CRYING, Ab-ba, Father.—Galatians 4:6 [KJV]

When the Holy Spirit speaks to your spirit, you do not hear an audible voice. This is what people call “the inner witness”. The voice of the Holy Spirit to your spirit creates a quiet assurance—a relaxed knowing about something.

The question is, “How can I distinguish the voice of this inner witness? Are there any features that I must look out for? What differentiates the inner witness from an ordinary thought?” There are seven characteristics you must look out for:

1. The inner witness is different from reasoning thoughts.
It is not mental knowledge or logical reasoning. If what you are having is just an ingenious idea, then it’s probably not the inner witness.

2. The inner witness is not a physical feeling.
You will not have a physical feeling per se, since the inner witness is the voice of the Holy Spirit to your spirit. If someone claims that he has a physical feeling in his big toe or his liver that is probably not the inner witness!

3. The inner witness is best identified by eliminating other voices.
A great secret to identifying the inner witness is to eliminate other voices. Ensure that it is not your flesh that wants to do something. Make sure that it is not just a reasonable proposition. There may be some good reason and some good feelings when the Spirit is leading you, but make sure it is not just that!

4. The inner witness is an impression of peace.
The inner witness is an awareness of peace. It is the peace of God that is beyond (passes) understanding, reasoning, logic and physical things.

As you develop spiritually, you will become aware of the peace of God as a method of direction. You will say, “I don’t have peace about this!” At other times you will say, “Even though it sounds odd, I have a peace about this issue. I know it shall be well with me.”

The Apostle Paul described the phenomenon of the inner witness, the peace of God, “an umpire”. It means “to arbitrate”, “to direct” and “to govern”. God is using peace to direct and govern you.
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.--Colossians 3:15.

5. The inner witness is a strong conviction.
The inner witness makes you certain about what the Lord is saying. You begin to have a quiet assurance and confidence about the will of God. Once again, this is not easily explained. Do you think people who give up their lives for the Gospel can explain what they are doing? You cannot easily explain the faith you have! You cannot always explain the convictions you have!

6. The inner witness is repetitive.
The inner witness is the repeated voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to your heart.

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Ab-ba, Father.--Galatians 4:6.

As the Spirit cries continually, it creates an impression in you. You begin to have a conviction about certain things. You begin to now that you know. One characteristic that I have noticed is that the voice of the Spirit is repeated over and over. This happens over several weeks, months and even years.

7. The inner witness is an inexplicable knowing.
After you have heard the voice of the Spirit several times, you begin to know what to do. It creates in you “a knowing”. Sometimes, people ask me, “How did you know what to do?” Sometimes, all I can say is, “I just knew.”

When you take a decision, watch out for that quiet assurance of peace in your heart. That is the Spirit of God, leading you into the will of God for your life.
Silvertusk,

I can only speak for myself, but this link seems pretty accurate. TBH, it's a bit difficult to describe what the indwelling Holy Spirit "feels" like. At times, I feel like describing the indwelling HS as almost dwelling in my conscience, if that makes any sense to you. Some people only have a strong intellectual belief that Christianity is true. And, I've seen instances where those people were faced with difficult questions about their faith that they can't answer. From what I understand Craig to be saying about the inner witness as an intrinsic defeater defeater, is that even though people will have difficult questions they can't answer, a believer always has the inner witness that witnesses to the believer's spirit, that God's word is true.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Silvertusk wrote:
neo-x wrote:A man in firm belief regardless of what that belief may be, can say the same. For example a suicide bomber who explodes on public has the same feeling of confirmation in him, that he actually takes his life along the others.

I agree with that - but my question is - how to I know it is the Spirit on a personal level - and not just my own convicitons.

I personally feel great peace. I do not worry (at deep level), do not have fear. People can be hurtful but I do not bite back. I feel great happiness and joy, not the kind of joy that dissapears after minute. Well, one thing: when I pray or am in deep thinking, I regularly have goosebumps.

I was atheist 27 years and now am Christian and I can compare my inner being. Well, peace and love, what to say more?

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

That's what I feel.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Silvertusk wrote:? How do I know I have got it. I would say that I am a Christian and I do believe - but what really does it mean to have an inner witness of the Holy Spirit?
You know you've got it when you have a changed life. Yes, but neo-x says this:
neo-x wrote:A man in firm belief regardless of what that belief may be, can say the same. For example a suicide bomber who explodes [himself in] public has the same feeling of confirmation in him, that he actually takes his life along the others.
Neo-x is right, a false belief will create the same certainty of purpose, the same changed life, the same sense of sacrifice. However, the Holy Spirit within me would not have me do something so evil as to blow myself up in a public place. That behavior belongs to a worldly spirit, a religious spirit.

I like this part of neo-x' answer:
neo-x wrote: The holy spirit is not associated with feelings and neither should a believer be looking for those to validate his faith. I personally think that the inner witness of the holy spirit is:

1. The logical answer to where Intellectual reason and evidence has brought you.
2. The confirmation of the scriptures and Jesus's words as well as the apostles that we are granted to be God's children, the holy spirit being the inner witness in us.
3. An experience based in personal revelation, that be in prayer, healing, vow etc. (this again has to be corroborated from scriptures and teachings)
There is too much emphasis on feelings and emotion in today's thinking: pagan faiths- including those of atheism and agnosticism - and charismatic Christianity are guilty of a bankrupt sensuality that passes as reasoning. It is all just so much emotion, so much hot air!

Now, these comments also make sense:
RickD wrote: I can only speak for myself, but this link seems pretty accurate. TBH, it's a bit difficult to describe what the indwelling Holy Spirit "feels" like. At times, I feel like describing the indwelling HS as almost dwelling in my conscience, if that makes any sense to you.
1over137 wrote:I personally feel great peace. I do not worry (at deep level), do not have fear. People can be hurtful but I do not bite back. I feel great happiness and joy, not the kind of joy that dissapears after minute. Well, one thing: when I pray or am in deep thinking, I regularly have goosebumps.

I was atheist 27 years and now am Christian and I can compare my inner being. Well, peace and love, what to say more?
So, there is an emotional component to a life given over to Christ: inner peace, joy, a changed outlook, a changed life, a desire to do what is right, what is good. And all of this rests in the assurance that the Bible is the Word of God and that every word therein is true.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
And all of this rests in the assurance that the Bible is the Word of God and that every word therein is true.
Even the extra seven books in those other guys' bibles? :mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:Even the extra seven books in those other guys' bibles?
Well...(what does this have to do with the question?!)...I don't mind the Apocrypha but I know many Protestants consider them to be the word of Beelzebub. They are an interesting read. I have several Catholic Bibles and the Apocrypha are separated into their own section called ''Deuterocanonicals.'' This is placed between the OT and the NT.

The way I look at the Apocrypha is akin to the way I look at yoga for Christians: it's OK as long as you know where it comes from, and you treat it with circumspection.

Go too far, and you'll get wasted.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote:Even the extra seven books in those other guys' bibles?
Well...(what does this have to do with the question?!)...I don't mind the Apocrypha but I know many Protestants consider them to be the word of Beelzebub. They are an interesting read. I have several Catholic Bibles and the Apocrypha are separated into their own section called ''Deuterocanonicals.'' This is placed between the OT and the NT.

The way I look at the Apocrypha is akin to the way I look at yoga for Christians: it's OK as long as you know where it comes from, and you treat it with circumspection.

Go too far, and you'll get wasted.

FL
It's actually a good question. If we have a catholic believer, and a regular believer ;) , both would have the indwelling Holy Spirit. Will the Holy Spirit convict both believers about the Apocrypha being the written word of God, and inspired?
FL wrote:
I have several Catholic Bibles and the Apocrypha are separated into their own section called ''Deuterocanonicals.'' This is placed between the OT and the NT.
So you're saying that even in catholic bibles, they're not a part of the OT?

Me smells a new thread coming soon....

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
It's actually a good question. If we have a catholic believer, and a regular believer , both would have the indwelling Holy Spirit. Will the Holy Spirit convict both believers about the Apocrypha being the written word of God, and inspired?
From what I know, Catholics generally don't read the Bible. (Actually, Catholics and Protestants - both! - tend to own a Bible but not read it.) Byblos is probably an oddball because he reads the Bible and is familiar with it. (Actually, most of the people who post here are oddballs by virtue of their familiarity with the Bible.)

Another thing that has to be considered is that different traditions of worship will have different relationships with the Bible. Some traditions encourage personal understanding of the Scriptures, some traditions encourage a more formalized (or institutionalized) worship, and some other traditions are very charismatic. Some traditions are Cartesian, some are emotional, some legal. By analogy, there are 3 Christian radio stations here. One broadcasts in English and exposits the Bible verse-by-verse; another broadcasts in French and concentrates on social justice and feeling God in your life; a third broadcasts in a number of different languages and when I listen, I hear yelling, crying and singing.
RickD wrote:So you're saying that even in catholic bibles, they're not a part of the OT?
No, I'm not saying that. I said,
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote: I have several Catholic Bibles and the Apocrypha are separated into their own section called ''Deuterocanonicals.'' This is placed between the OT and the NT.
I'm not sure how Catholics view the Apocrypha but my gut feeling says that they are considered Scripture. On another note, I have been to Catholic services often and have never heard the priest read from the Apocrypha.
RickD wrote:Me smells a new thread coming soon....
Yeah...can't The Cabinet of Catholic Information answer some of your questions? You should also get a copy of The Cathecism of the Catholic Church if all of this stuff interests you.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Tough subject.

I agree with Neos. How do we distinquish the feelings' generated by say zen Buddhism? I would add that the fruit of the spirit; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control are not themselves feelings. We primarily equate love, joy and peace to feelings. Genuine Christian love is acting on behalf of another even when your feelings tell you to do otherwise. Afterall, the Bible says that anyone can love and pray for people they like.
For example, I may genuinely dislike Bob, and have very good reason for doing so. But my feelings toward him have nothing to do with whether I should treat him in a loving manner.
-Peace. Christ said blessed are the peace makers. In a worldly view I may be seen as justified to seek out revenge or justice against someone who has wronged me. But a peacemaker puts peace above his own feelings, even if it cost him something. That is really only a response that can be genuinely sourced from the HS.

I can say that I have had what I would call confirmations of the HS. These are not feelings but could elicit feelings. I can recall a very specific occassion where I was told some pretty upsetting news. My normal reaction would be anger. "How could you do something so foolish." Instead I was suddenly very alert to my inner man. Instead of acting out in anger, I was able to respond in peace and love. It was completely contrary to what I would call, 'my nature.' But that really is the key. It isn't our nature. The Word says we HAVE a new nature.

I believe the confirmation of the HS is trusting our new nature, and that the old man (or woman) really is dead. Stop and meditate on this verse for just a minute. "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." (2 Cor 4:7) The earthen vessel is our frail, decaying and aging body. It is the vestiges of the dead man. But the reality is that within that dead man there is a treasure, where the power of God can be sourced. The problem I see in my own life, when my behavior doesn't match that truth, is that I am not trusting that reality. God says it is true. You are new. He made you that way. It's a done deal. And it is totally available now. If that is the case (and it is) then we can absolutely have the confirmation of the HS. And it isn't some mystical feeling. It is a practical reality of who we are "In Christ."

Now, if we are trusting that new nature, then certainly I could see that our feelings could be brought into obedience. Thus the joy that is already there becomes our experience.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
FL wrote:
And all of this rests in the assurance that the Bible is the Word of God and that every word therein is true.
Even the extra seven books in those other guys' bibles? :mrgreen:
In its May/June 2013 issue, Bible Study Magazine has an article that speaks about the canonicity of books in the Bible: why certain books were left out and why some Christian denominations have many more books. You can see the cover of the current issue here:

http://www.BibleStudyMagazine.com

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Just want to add that logic and reason would suffer the same fate as religious experience (if religious experiences should be rejected as truth conducive). For people on opposite sides of the rational debate -- for example, on God's existence -- people on both sides would be quite familiar with all arguments re: God's existence. Yet, they come to diametrically opposed conclusions.

Should we then throw out logic and reason because people using it have different conclusions? No, I don't think so.

So, when it comes to spiritual experiences -- what I'd call a sixth sense -- should we throw such out because people who have them are of different religious beliefs? Again no, I don't think so.

I think WLC is entirely justified at bringing them into the argument, although he stops short of really calling it an argument often calling it more of an invitation to experience the reality of God.

Yet, when elaborated upon at depth, religious experiences make a powerful argument for God imo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)