New Stephen Hawking big bang article

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

New Stephen Hawking big bang article

Post by cubeus19 »

http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-didnt-go ... 32701.html

Is this basically him repeating his old stuff or is there anything new or challenging in this one? I"m not sure.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: New Stephen Hawking big bang article

Post by Ivellious »

Well this particular lecture seemed to be less about describing high-level physics and more about the various philosophical ways of looking at the origins of the universe. Obviously he was critical or less-than-impressed with the many creation stories out there and instead felt that M theory was the only reasonable avenue of thought on the matter (though if I recall, Hawking has very explicitly stated in the past that he feels that there are no truly complete theories out there for the origins of the universe, only possibilities at this point).

Though I think this article is kind of pointless. Of course it's a big deal when Stephen Hawking gives a public lecture at a major institution. That's not news. He's one of the most brilliant minds of the past few decades, whether you like his philosophical views or not. I don't see why a news article needed to be written on it.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Ivellious wrote:Well this particular lecture seemed to be less about describing high-level physics and more about the various philosophical ways of looking at the origins of the universe. Obviously he was critical or less-than-impressed with the many creation stories out there and instead felt that M theory was the only reasonable avenue of thought on the matter (though if I recall, Hawking has very explicitly stated in the past that he feels that there are no truly complete theories out there for the origins of the universe, only possibilities at this point).

Though I think this article is kind of pointless. Of course it's a big deal when Stephen Hawking gives a public lecture at a major institution. That's not news. He's one of the most brilliant minds of the past few decades, whether you like his philosophical views or not. I don't see why a news article needed to be written on it.
I guess that we can apply the old "Hitchens Razor" to this as well right?
What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
ryanbouma
Established Member

Post by ryanbouma »

Hawking's attitude about God sitting around creating hell for people who say the things he's saying, is kind of scary. God gave him such a mind and he has such a stubborn sense to him, like it's right in front of his face, yet he can't admit there's a god. The article discussing all the people trying to get in, made me think that he's been raised to the status of a false god. I think Hawking very much enjoys being his own god.

As for the technical merits of what's in the article, I don't see anything new.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

ryanbouma wrote:Hawking's attitude about God sitting around creating hell for people who say the things he's saying, is kind of scary. God gave him such a mind and he has such a stubborn sense to him, like it's right in front of his face, yet he can't admit there's a god. The article discussing all the people trying to get in, made me think that he's been raised to the status of a false god. I think Hawking very much enjoys being his own god.

As for the technical merits of what's in the article, I don't see anything new.
There is no evidence, NONE, for the multi-universe hypothesis.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

cubeus19 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-didnt-go ... 32701.html

Is this basically him repeating his old stuff or is there anything new or challenging in this one? I"m not sure.
Oh, you meant yahoo article, not scientific article.

I think the same old stuff.

Btw, here is some great link http://www.bethinking.org/ . There in the search window you type Hawking and can read results.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hawking's attitude about God sitting around creating hell for people who say the things he's saying, is kind of scary.
I think that his comment about God is at least somewhat revealing - he is issuing a back-handed, sarcastic insult, both to God and to those who believe in Him. But why would he feel the need to insult and mock a God he says he doesn't believe exists? Ever hear of anyone mocking Zeus? Obsessed with Jupiter or Apollo? No, it's always the Christian Creator God! He's also playing to his own massive ego and to those like himself that believe that they are vastly more intelligent than the ignorant, superstitious, God-believing masses. Yes, he is so intelligent that he thinks whatever came first basically created itself. I think he also has great anger at God for forcing him to live his life in a disfunctional body. Oh, and as for the mathematically, astoundingly precise physical laws that immediately governed and guided all that first came into being - immediately present and affecting at the beginning event? Created themselves? The universe got lucky? WHAT???!!!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:....There is no evidence, NONE, for the multi-universe hypothesis.
y:O2 Oh NO - you mean that guy I see in the mirror really isn't there! y:O2
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
ryanbouma
Established Member

Post by ryanbouma »

Philip wrote:
Hawking's attitude about God sitting around creating hell for people who say the things he's saying, is kind of scary.
I think that his comment about God is at least somewhat revealing - he is issuing a back-handed, sarcastic insult, both to God and to those who believe in Him. quote]

Yes exactly. And just to be clear, when I said kind of scary I meant scary for him. To think of the damnation he'll receive which in this life he mocks. That is scary.
Philip wrote:
I think he also has great anger at God for forcing him to live his life in a disfunctional body.
Absolutely this is a major problem for him. I've considered this many times. I've got a thread in the "Questions for Christians" forum where I'm asking about the Problem of Natural Evil, and I think Hawking falls perfectly into this category.
La Volpe
Familiar Member

Post by La Volpe »

Philip wrote:
I think that his comment about God is at least somewhat revealing - he is issuing a back-handed, sarcastic insult, both to God and to those who believe in Him. But why would he feel the need to insult and mock a God he says he doesn't believe exists? Ever hear of anyone mocking Zeus? Obsessed with Jupiter or Apollo? No, it's always the Christian Creator God! He's also playing to his own massive ego and to those like himself that believe that they are vastly more intelligent than the ignorant, superstitious, God-believing masses. Yes, he is so intelligent that he thinks whatever came first basically created itself. I think he also has great anger at God for forcing him to live his life in a disfunctional body. Oh, and as for the mathematically, astoundingly precise physical laws that immediately governed and guided all that first came into being - immediately present and affecting at the beginning event? Created themselves? The universe got lucky? WHAT???!!!

Something I've noticed about atheists is that, despite not thinking he is real, they are rather fascinated by God.
People will believe anything if you whisper it.