Article by J. Warner Wallace on archaeology and the NT

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Article by J. Warner Wallace on archaeology and the NT

Post by DRDS »

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Article by J. Warner Wallace on archaeology and the NT

Post by PaulSacramento »

Excellent article.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Agreed - good find.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks for sharing.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

It's ironic how many of the supposed errors in Luke were alleged based on incomplete knowledge. "There is no mention of ______, therefore he/she/it didn't exist," is poor and dangerous reasoning: our knowledge of ancient history is very fragmentary, and such claims have a tendency to be made ridiculous. For example, a couple of centuries ago people questioned the existence of Nineveh, because it had not been found. Then, beginning in 1845, not only was Nineveh proved to have existed, but it was proved to have been among the oldest known cities. Oopsie! As bizarre as it would seem nowadays, among the older objections to the idea that Moses wrote the Pentateuch was the "fact" that writing didn't exist in the mid second millennium BC; later this was "refined" to the idea that writing existed, but was not in widespread use. These objections verge on hilarious now, but they were taken seriously before we learned better. I guess the admission that our historical knowledge is very incomplete comes hard to some folk - quite a blow to human pride.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

PeteSinCA wrote:It's ironic how many of the supposed errors in Luke were alleged based on incomplete knowledge. "There is no mention of ______, therefore he/she/it didn't exist," is poor and dangerous reasoning: our knowledge of ancient history is very fragmentary, and such claims have a tendency to be made ridiculous. For example, a couple of centuries ago people questioned the existence of Nineveh, because it had not been found. Then, beginning in 1845, not only was Nineveh proved to have existed, but it was proved to have been among the oldest known cities. Oopsie! As bizarre as it would seem nowadays, among the older objections to the idea that Moses wrote the Pentateuch was the "fact" that writing didn't exist in the mid second millennium BC; later this was "refined" to the idea that writing existed, but was not in widespread use. These objections verge on hilarious now, but they were taken seriously before we learned better. I guess the admission that our historical knowledge is very incomplete comes hard to some folk - quite a blow to human pride.
It is the consensus of the vast majority of scholars that Moses did NOT write ALL of the Pentateuch.
Reason being that some parts are, quite obviously, written AFTER His death so...
Most believe that He either started the process or commissioned it ( supervising it as far as he could of course).
It may simply be that Moses wrote the ORIGINAL form of the Pentateuch and later editors/copyists added to them the parts AFTER His death.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

The Documentary Hypothesis is/was a bit more radical than simply pointing out that Moses wasn't around to write the last chapter or so of Deuteronomy.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I just finished his book "Cold Case Christianity", it is by far the best book I have read on the authority of the Gospels as true witness statements.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.