Great article by Dr. Clay Jones on the afterlife

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Great article by Dr. Clay Jones on the afterlife

Post by DRDS »

http://www.clayjones.net/2012/01/why-i- ... -eternity/

Very great article, it has some of the best points I've ever read on this topic.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Great article by Dr. Clay Jones on the afterlife

Post by B. W. »

DRDS wrote:http://www.clayjones.net/2012/01/why-i- ... -eternity/

Very great article, it has some of the best points I've ever read on this topic.
Yes very good article - Thanks for sharing this!

He brings out the smear campaign very well!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
DRDS
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by DRDS »

Wow that's interesting, smear campaign. I didn't know for sure that it was a smear campaign. Just curious, do you have any other bits of info to add to the Jones article? Thanks.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

DRDS wrote:Wow that's interesting, smear campaign. I didn't know for sure that it was a smear campaign. Just curious, do you have any other bits of info to add to the Jones article? Thanks.
It is summed up in the first paragraph of the article quoted below:

Some of the devil’s dirtiest deeds regard his doctrinal distortion of Heaven. He’s made it sound like a place no one would want to go. After all, who wants to sport flightless wings, sit on a cloud, strum a harp, suffer amnesia (one devilish distortion is we won’t remember anyone), and sing endless choruses? Of course, apologists rarely confront this satanic smear campaign because whether one thinks heaven will be tedious or not won’t determine whether one will be saved.

Yes, that is a smear campaign - try to explain heaven and what pops into mind - tedium... and that is the smear
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

But BW, while I understand your point that this version of heaven is not really theologically supported, what is the purpose of this smear campaign? When the exact same descriptions of heaven have been used by Christian artists, apologists, writers, and leaders of the faith for centuries? As you say, most Christians would probably describe heaven in that way, and most of them are clearly excited for it. On the flip side, most non-Christians who convert to the faith are also under this type of impression of the afterlife, so it clearly isnt scaring them off.

It is true that many people (myself included) are frankly turned off by any Christian who preaches about an etrrnity where our earthly friends and family become utterly irrelevant to us and we are allowed to do nothing but worship God. But if this view of heaven is wrong, why does nearly every church and Christian leader do nothing to alter false perceptions? Are you suggesting that this lie is so pervasive that even the most devout and honest leaders of Christianity have been playing a part in this lie for ages?

Sorry for the many questions. I am seriously interested in your thoughts on this. I hqve never thought of this as being much of an issue, so most of this is new for me.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Ivellious wrote:But BW, while I understand your point that this version of heaven is not really theologically supported, what is the purpose of this smear campaign? When the exact same descriptions of heaven have been used by Christian artists, apologists, writers, and leaders of the faith for centuries? As you say, most Christians would probably describe heaven in that way, and most of them are clearly excited for it. On the flip side, most non-Christians who convert to the faith are also under this type of impression of the afterlife, so it clearly isnt scaring them off.

It is true that many people (myself included) are frankly turned off by any Christian who preaches about an etrrnity where our earthly friends and family become utterly irrelevant to us and we are allowed to do nothing but worship God. But if this view of heaven is wrong, why does nearly every church and Christian leader do nothing to alter false perceptions? Are you suggesting that this lie is so pervasive that even the most devout and honest leaders of Christianity have been playing a part in this lie for ages?

Sorry for the many questions. I am seriously interested in your thoughts on this. I have never thought of this as being much of an issue, so most of this is new for me.
The article pointed out that the purpose of the smear campaign is to turn people off regarding heaven... if all one's image is sitting on clouds, playing harps, doesn't sound appealing... r as you mentioned about it becoming irrelevant also illustrates how the smear works in peoples perceptions.
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb: