darkmatter25

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

darkmatter25

Post by Seeker »

I was wondering if anyone could help me through my current period or doubt. I have recently stumbled upon a youtube channel called darkmatter25 and although his videos show crude humor and alot of cursing he does point out good points in almost all of his videos. Seeing these have really shook my faith. If someone could please view some of his videos and give me some feedback it would be great
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: darkmatter25

Post by neo-x »

i dont have youtube but you can just tell me what he thinks and we'll see.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Darkmatter25 is interesting (and somewhat crude, yes). He basically spins logical and moral arguments based around the Christian God and pokes holes in them. Some of the videos are less than convincing, while others are much more thought-provoking.

For example, he posits that we take superheroes from comic books and movies (like Batman and Superman) to be good guys, out to serve the people of Earth and stop evil. Darkmatter argues that we really don't have to be told that these guys are good people; their actions speak for themselves as ultimately good. Now, what if some of God's actions are superimposed onto these superheroes? Say Batman is fighting a villain and threatens to kill the entire city of Gotham if the villain doesn't surrender. You might have reason to question Batman's good intentions. Or if superman chose to eliminate crime in Metropolis by simply creating a tsunami to drown everyone? Again, suddenly, the actions of these heroes are no longer "inherently good" to us. Darkmatter argues that this is because actions like that aren't good. Now, in the Bible, when God does choose to mass-murder people to solve his problems, the Bible explicitly backs up God by telling the reader that such actions are good. The reader has to be reassured that God is acting in the right because, under pretty much any circumstances, we naturally think mass-murder is wrong.

Another video questions God's omniscience by saying that God simply cannot be both purely good and omniscient at the same time. That is, God cannot know what it feels like to want to sin (it would make God imperfect). But, on the flip side, if God does not understand what it means to be tempted by sin, then God doesn't know everything, so he can't be omniscient. Which would appear to be a paradoxical situation.

The videos are interesting, and some are actually thought provoking in the sense that I've never heard anyone answer the specific issues Darkmatter brings up.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

its an interesting but misplaced take on the whole thing. We can easily create paradoxes for ourselves if we are bent on it.

God chose to eliminate some people, because of very specific reasons and very rarely. It was not a hero thing, God is not a hero, he is not here to please people. That is a wrong expectation. The scriptures declare that God himself was saddened by the fact, numerous times, Ezekiel even states that God specifically declared that he was not happy about how evil men perished. But divine justice, needs to be done when needs to be done, its not pleasing to everyone but that does not change its nature at all.

Punishing someone is not considered inherently good by the one who is being punished. Justice and goodness are often met at the crossroads of tragedy. By that rule, no one should be punished at all for anything they do, because it is not inherently good? That is the strawman which darkmatter is riding upon and it may impress people. But its really absurd at the same time.

Take a look at the history of the nations God told israel to destroy...the canaanitee nations all practiced human sacrifices, childsacrificess, immoral acts. Some of these nations, like the amalekites actually attacked Israel first, war had to happen. It was simply an eye for an eye.

In the context of the flood, if darkmatter is targeting a global flood for his batman-God, then let him, I would not worry as that is a false position in my opinion.
Another video questions God's omniscience by saying that God simply cannot be both purely good and omniscient at the same time. That is, God cannot know what it feels like to want to sin (it would make God imperfect). But, on the flip side, if God does not understand what it means to be tempted by sin, then God doesn't know everything, so he can't be omniscient. Which would appear to be a paradoxical situation.
It takes a human to "feel" things as touch, taste by virtue of organs or neurons, motor-sensory experiences and chemical reactions in the brain. God does not "feel" things like we do. God can and do know things though.

And I would ask why can't God know that? sin is a natural consequence of being irrational infront of divine reason.

The problem is darkmatter is treating God as a human, for example, what is an example of sin to human? rape? Gossip, stealing, well God can't rape (the same way he can't steal), he is not human, has no gender. Darkmatter assumes that sin is an act, but really sin is simply a motivation. The sinful act is the result of the sin, not sin itself. God does not have to molest someone to know what that is, the same way you don't have to rape someone to know how horrible that is. So God can know the opposite of his divine reason, that is sin completely without getting his hands dirty, and ultimately he has all knowledge of us and by virtue of extension of creation, all that entails is known to him.

I was thinking it would be something substantial, turns out they are false spins.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Seeker
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seeker »

One of the problems I have been having is dealing with eternity. When I think of eternity I get scared. I wonder what it would be like in heaven for an eternity. Even if it is the greatest place ever after say maybe a million years I feel I would be really bored and depressed from doing everything there is to do and then spend an eternity bored and depressed.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by WannaLearn »

Seeker wrote:One of the problems I have been having is dealing with eternity. When I think of eternity I get scared. I wonder what it would be like in heaven for an eternity. Even if it is the greatest place ever after say maybe a million years I feel I would be really bored and depressed from doing everything there is to do and then spend an eternity bored and depressed.
Do You think you could spend that long on earth and not get bored. I think I could.Heaven supposed to be the best things you can imagine on earth wouldn't even compare to the smallest things in heaven. The bible doesn't tell us everything about heaven because most of us would want to check out now but we all still got a mission.
And Heaven would still be a whole lot better than Hell forever don't you think?
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

That was an accident y:O2
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

You can say that again :lol:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

:esmile:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fixed. Next time, if you're going to have a muscle spasm, have it somewhere other than the "Enter" button. I've seen a lot of double posts, and maybe even a triple post. But I can't recall ever seeing a quadruple post! :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Ivellious wrote:Darkmatter25 is interesting (and somewhat crude, yes). He basically spins logical and moral arguments based around the Christian God and pokes holes in them. Some of the videos are less than convincing, while others are much more thought-provoking.

For example, he posits that we take superheroes from comic books and movies (like Batman and Superman) to be good guys, out to serve the people of Earth and stop evil. Darkmatter argues that we really don't have to be told that these guys are good people; their actions speak for themselves as ultimately good. Now, what if some of God's actions are superimposed onto these superheroes? Say Batman is fighting a villain and threatens to kill the entire city of Gotham if the villain doesn't surrender. You might have reason to question Batman's good intentions. Or if superman chose to eliminate crime in Metropolis by simply creating a tsunami to drown everyone? Again, suddenly, the actions of these heroes are no longer "inherently good" to us. Darkmatter argues that this is because actions like that aren't good. Now, in the Bible, when God does choose to mass-murder people to solve his problems, the Bible explicitly backs up God by telling the reader that such actions are good. The reader has to be reassured that God is acting in the right because, under pretty much any circumstances, we naturally think mass-murder is wrong.

The videos are interesting, and some are actually thought provoking in the sense that I've never heard anyone answer the specific issues Darkmatter brings up.
What I find harder to come to terms with, is not why God punishes some, or many in the instance of Noah's flood. But rather, why he saves any of us.

Humanity always continues to show it's wickedness and greed. All of us do to varying degrees. So that for me, is a more complicated issue for a God who is perfectly righteous.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Seeker wrote:I was wondering if anyone could help me through my current period or doubt. I have recently stumbled upon a youtube channel called darkmatter25 and although his videos show crude humor and alot of cursing he does point out good points in almost all of his videos. Seeing these have really shook my faith. If someone could please view some of his videos and give me some feedback it would be great
Dark matter is very.. Well it's very DARK matter.. Anyone want to challenge me on this?

:duel: :nunchaku:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Gman wrote:
Seeker wrote:I was wondering if anyone could help me through my current period or doubt. I have recently stumbled upon a youtube channel called darkmatter25 and although his videos show crude humor and alot of cursing he does point out good points in almost all of his videos. Seeing these have really shook my faith. If someone could please view some of his videos and give me some feedback it would be great
Dark matter is very.. Well it's very DARK matter.. Anyone want to challenge me on this?

:duel: :nunchaku:
Cursing and crude humor is indication of living in the dark.

Attaching verses on darkness http://www.openbible.info/topics/darkness
and verses on cursing and joking http://www.openbible.info/topics/cursing
and verses on bearing bad fruit http://www.openbible.info/topics/bearing_bad_fruit

Peace.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
moshiya
Newbie Member

Post by moshiya »

[note from moderator: there was link posted. I view it as offtopic publicity. Please, you you have comments to this topic post it]