Youtube

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Youtube

Post by Seeker »

A problem i have been having is in regards to Youtube and i guess the internet in generalization. I was wondering why it seems Youtube is highly dominated by atheists. Videos mocking Christianity and claiming to prove God isn't real seem to have millions of views and when i find a christian comment in the comment section it is instantly debunked so to say. But on the other hand christian videos although some having many views always are having thousands of dislikes and in the comment section christian comments are disproved or disliked by many. A little help in regards to this subject would really help me out.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Youtube

Post by Ivellious »

I'll give a couple possible reasons.

The first has to do with demographics. Atheists and agnostics and other secular people dominate the younger/current generation like never before. Hence, the people most commonly using the internet (young people) are more likely to be atheists or agnostics than the overall population would seem to suggest. Sites like youtube in particular are most frequently used by young people.

A second point would simply be that you are looking in the wrong places. Yes, youtube has a large number of atheist comments, and for the most part Christians avoid commenting there to avoid backlash. Other sites have many more conservative voices in comment sections, and are often avoided by atheists because they know they will be ripped apart if they try to join in. Popular sites that get a reputation for having comments of certain views are likely to be avoided by people with opposing viewpoints, which makes sense if you think about it.

Also, it's important to remember that lots (and I mean lots) of people who frequently comment on articles or videos are "trolls." That is, they get entertainment out of simply bashing other people's views and comments. So I wouldn't look to youtube comments to get a good idea of what most people actually think, since lots of them are really only there to make people angry.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I think Ivel covered it fairly well.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Seeker
Familiar Member

Post by Seeker »

But why is the younger generation dominated by atheists?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

why not?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
TheArtfulDodger
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by TheArtfulDodger »

It is an inherent property of young people to rebel against the older generation. This is not a modern phenomena either. I think it was Dostoyevsky who said something like the youth had no culture so to fill that void they rebelled against the culture of their fathers.
cnk12
Recognized Member

Post by cnk12 »

Personally, I think it's a combination of many factors. Two of the main ones I'm aware of are related to each other. They are 1) the widespread acceptance of the scientific model of the universe and evolution and 2) Most people are limited in their understanding of Christianity leaving them unable to see God as anything more than a "God of the gaps"

Oh, I have one more...Many atheists work as hard or harder than many Christians in the spread their message. For most it's not enough to talk about the positive aspects of their "faith" without pointed attacks on Christians and Christianity. Scriptures are routinely referred to out of context, Christians are represented as dumb, and gullible. Meanings of words are distorted, nonsensical analogies are put forth, and extremists are pointed to as representative of the mainstream.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Most young people have issues with religion, organized religion to be more correct.
They see it as being told what to do by some ancient book that is out of date.
In short, young people have the same issues with religion today as they have always had: it goes against what they want to do.
Seeker
Familiar Member

Post by Seeker »

Thankyou all for your responses.