Made up?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Made up?

Post by Seeker »

I have a question regarding how I should respond to someone. He keeps saying that the bible was made up from beggining to end and I don't know how to respond. Please inform me on your views on how I should respond.

Thanks, seeker
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Made up?

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Well the burden of proof lies with him/her to prove their claim or I would say “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Such claims are only made by ignorant people who don't know anything about this. My advice, don't debate with such a person. Debating with a fool is like going thermonuclear war and the only way to win is not to play. Whoever said that, I agree with him.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

neo-x wrote:Such claims are only made by ignorant people who don't know anything about this. My advice, don't debate with such a person. Debating with a fool is like going thermonuclear war and the only way to win is not to play. Whoever said that, I agree with him.
Wasn't that from the film Wargames with Matthew Broderick?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Silvertusk wrote:
neo-x wrote:Such claims are only made by ignorant people who don't know anything about this. My advice, don't debate with such a person. Debating with a fool is like going thermonuclear war and the only way to win is not to play. Whoever said that, I agree with him.
Wasn't that from the film Wargames with Matthew Broderick?
You're right, I looked it up. :)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
WannaLearn
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by WannaLearn »

Seeker would you like to know just for your understanding of the bible so you know how it was put together. I agree with the other guys don't argue with him unless he really wants to know not just him trying his best to prove you wrong.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Seeker wrote:I have a question regarding how I should respond to someone. He keeps saying that the bible was made up from beggining to end and I don't know how to respond. Please inform me on your views on how I should respond.

Thanks, seeker
Ask him - who made up that thought for him - where did he hear it from?

Or go into the textual evidence itself.

The person asking such thing - maybe looking for truth and will investigate it honestly, while, others are as the bible defines them in Proverbs - a fool.

Present the evidence and let it go at that.

Look up some resources too like the ones from here:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... bible.html
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Metacrock
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by Metacrock »

Seeker wrote:I have a question regarding how I should respond to someone. He keeps saying that the bible was made up from beggining to end and I don't know how to respond. Please inform me on your views on how I should respond.

Thanks, seeker
that's just an empty rhetorical phrase. Ask him what he means by it? If he thinks all the incidents are fictional ask him how he explains the fall of Babylon to Persia?
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

Concur with B.W. and Meta. Ask your friend what he means, to explain what he means by "all made up". The conversation may not go very far - he may just by like a squid squirting ink, with no substance behind the ink, but starting generally will help you see whether there's any path for purposeful discussion, without taking things thermonuclear (OTOH, if your friend does go instantaneously from zero to thermonuclear, maybe it wasn't a friendship that was likely to last).
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts