1 Samuel 18:10-11

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

1 Samuel 18:10-11

Post by ultimate777 »

What was God doing? Was it right?

1 Samuel 18:10-12
New International Version (NIV)
10 The next day an evil[a] spirit from God came forcefully on Saul. He was prophesying in his house, while David was playing the lyre, as he usually did. Saul had a spear in his hand 11 and he hurled it, saying to himself, “I’ll pin David to the wall.” But David eluded him twice.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: 1 Samuel 18:10-11

Post by Silvertusk »

All things come from God. This another example of something he permitted, but not actually caused as he can see the end result.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: 1 Samuel 18:10-11

Post by PaulSacramento »

ultimate777 wrote:What was God doing? Was it right?

1 Samuel 18:10-12
New International Version (NIV)
10 The next day an evil[a] spirit from God came forcefully on Saul. He was prophesying in his house, while David was playing the lyre, as he usually did. Saul had a spear in his hand 11 and he hurled it, saying to himself, “I’ll pin David to the wall.” But David eluded him twice.
All is from God, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Some my view this as an episode that shows the "end justifies the means", a "greater good" thing or it can be simply understood as a spirit that was evil that all spirits are from God so...
The issue is guess can be the word evil.
If the text read simply a "spirit from God" then we would get a different impression of the goal of God sending the spirit BUT the text says EVIL spirit from God.
Of course RA isn't always translated as evil...