Predestination.

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Predestination.

Post by WannaLearn »

Ephesians 1:5 ESV / 53 helpful votes

He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

Helpful Not Helpful
Romans 8:28-30 ESV / 48 helpful votes

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Romans 8:29 ESV / 36 helpful votes

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

Ephesians 1:4-5 ESV / 31 helpful votes

Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

Here are some verses that I would like be explained about predestination. And If you guys know about tullip, I'm just trying to find a good way to explain the bible doesnt teach predestination.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Predestination.

Post by RickD »

Hi WannaLearn,

I would like to suggest doing a search on "Calvinism" on the forum search feature. We've had some pretty good discussions on the subject. If you can find the threads, you can see both sides of the argument. If I can, I'll try to dig up the threads later when I get home.

FYI, I think the question you need an answer to, is if the bible teaches a Calvinist type of predestination. IMO, the bible clearly teaches predestination. But does it teach a TULIP type predestination?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

I think it teaches molinism, but that is just me.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

As life is WAY too short, I will not tiptoe through any TULIPS today - unless I was predestined to. :ebiggrin:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:As life is WAY too short, I will not tiptoe through any TULIPS today - unless I was predestined to. :ebiggrin:
Thanks Philip. I'll take any opening to post this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0[/youtube]
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

WannaLearn,

Here's something to start with:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =calvinism

And this one is a doozy!

These discussions got very heated, and at least a few prominent members left the forum as a result of these discussions. These ought to keep you busy for a while. The last one is very long.

Enjoy! :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip wrote: As life is WAY too short, I will not tiptoe through any TULIPS today - unless I was predestined to. :ebiggrin:

I REST my case! I think Ms. Vicki may have been right.

My 10-year-old was looking over my shoulder at the video, and without me saying a word, he remarked, "Dad, is that guy gay?"

"No son, but I don't think he had a real firm handshake."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Philip wrote: As life is WAY too short, I will not tiptoe through any TULIPS today - unless I was predestined to. :ebiggrin:

I REST my case! I think Ms. Vicki may have been right.

My 10-year-old was looking over my shoulder at the video, and without me saying a word, he remarked, "Dad, is that guy gay?"

"No son, but I don't think he had a real firm handshake."
He's was just eccentric. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote:My 10-year-old was looking over my shoulder at the video, and without me saying a word, he remarked, "Dad, is that guy gay?"
You have a ten-year old boy?! You're my age! What were you thinking?!

FL :wheelchair:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

You have a ten-year old boy?! You're my age! What were you thinking?!

FL :wheelchair:
Well, FL, at THAT exact moment, I wasn't exactly thinking about how old I'd be when he got out of college.

Seriously, though, I married "late" (was 31, wife was 30). Then we both went back to school. THEN, at 35 (a year to go in journalism school), I got seriously ill for about 5 years. As soon as I was healthy enough, we tried to have a child. NOTHING. On the day of my 40th BD, my wife realized she was pregnant with our first. We quickly tried to have another, eventually miscarried, but for five more years, NOTHING. We wanted another but had long figured it wasn't possible (old eggs?). So we weren't "trying" for another but weren't avoiding whatever God might bless us with. Then "Number Two" came out of nowhere! Totally shocked, totally blessed! But here's where the age thing gets even weirder: I never thought twice about having kids late. My dad was 35 when I was born. And my dad's father was 42 when he was born. So my grandfather was born in 1880 - just 15 years after the Civil War ended. And my wife's parents were a even a bit older than my parents. So, yeah, freaky, but it's been a blast. I've got the most fun boys ever!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote: So, yeah, freaky, but it's been a blast. I've got the most fun boys ever!
Wow...a very nice journey! You and the missus are blessed!

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +