What’s the worst that could happen?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

What’s the worst that could happen?

Post by Kenny »

What’s the worst that could happen if God were to address the entire world at once, in a language that each of us could understand; and cleared up all the misunderstandings we have of him? Why doesn’t he do this?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What’s the worst that could happen?

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kenny wrote:What’s the worst that could happen if God were to address the entire world at once, in a language that each of us could understand; and cleared up all the misunderstandings we have of him? Why doesn’t he do this?

Ken

The worst that could happen is that they would ignore it the same way they did the first time when he came here, it's not hard, it's pretty simple, love God and love others as you love yourself, budda bing budda bang budda boom.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Only a very tiny percentage of the world’s population had access to what Jesus said during his lifetime. Today it would be impossible for a sane person to deny a voice coming from the sky recorded using today’s technology. Don’t cha think?

Ken
RickD wrote
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:Only a very tiny percentage of the world’s population had access to what Jesus said during his lifetime. Today it would be impossible for a sane person to deny a voice coming from the sky recorded using today’s technology. Don’t cha think?

Ken
But Christ is still here in the spirit and his word has spread to every corner of the Earth, he didn't just die and left, he died, rose again and lives within us as the spirit. A voice from the sky wouldn't prove anything, people will find a way to deny God in one form or another, so no I don't think it would make any difference at all, some people like Sam Childers will hear God's voice and build orphanages in northern Uganda and others will ignore it as has always happened.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kenny wrote:Only a very tiny percentage of the world’s population had access to what Jesus said during his lifetime. Today it would be impossible for a sane person to deny a voice coming from the sky recorded using today’s technology. Don’t cha think?

Ken
But Christ is still here in the spirit and his word has spread to every corner of the Earth, he didn't just die and left, he died, rose again and lives within us as the spirit. A voice from the sky wouldn't prove anything, people will find a way to deny God in one form or another, so no I don't think it would make any difference at all, some people like Sam Childers will hear God's voice and build orphanages in northern Uganda and others will ignore it as has always happened.
But not everybody can experience God the way you can. For those of us who are unable to experience God; a voice from the sky will definitely get the point across.

Ken
RickD wrote
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Ken
But not everybody can experience God the way you can. For those of us who are unable to experience God; a voice from the sky will definitely get the point across.

Ken
God speaks to everyone, I remember when I was an atheist, every now and then I had experiences I couldn't explain, looking back now I can see that was God speaking to me, trying to guide me back to him.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Ken

Ken
God speaks to everyone, I remember when I was an atheist, every now and then I had experiences I couldn't explain, looking back now I can see that was God speaking to me, trying to guide me back to him.
It doesn't work that way for everybody. A voice from the sky works for everybody.

Ken
RickD wrote
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

No it wouldn't. You think people are different today than they were two thousand years ago? They aren't.

But beyond that, I think the premise of your question is flawed because your basic thoughts about God are wrong. Consider Matt. 13:10-17.

You assume that if God isn't as clear as logically possible then something is wrong. You would do better to recognize that your basic premise there is mistaken. Start with the assumption that God isn't interested in that and you'll get much further along in your line of thought. Try a thought experiment. Start with the assumption that God is not trying make either Himself or His Son undeniable. In fact, start with the assumption that He has presented Himself in such a way that He can be denied if someone is so inclined (hmm . . . that might be worth thinking about, too). Work from those assumptions and ask what that would say about God--and more importantly, what it says about us. And if you need a paradigm to think that way, look at the passage I just mentioned. And for an extra hint, try Googling "why did Jesus speak in parables?"
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Ken

Ken
It doesn't work that way for everybody. A voice from the sky works for everybody.

Ken
I doubt it very much, but there is no use really in talking about ifs buts and maybes, God has revealed himself to us the way he has and he must have good reason for doing so especially since he is omniscient.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jac:
No it wouldn't. You think people are different today than they were two thousand years ago? They aren't.

Ken
Yes! People are different. What is considered right, or wrong; good and bad, and especially technology is different. If an audible voice came from the sky, ABC, CBS, CNBC, Fox News, and every major and minor news outlet would be recording this event and a record of who the real God is would remain in place and could not be denied by any serious believer. Yes! It would be different.

Jac
But beyond that, I think the premise of your question is flawed because your basic thoughts about God are wrong. Consider Matt. 13:10-17.

You assume that if God isn't as clear as logically possible then something is wrong.

Ken
No that is not my assumption.

Jac
You would do better to recognize that your basic premise there is mistaken. Start with the assumption that God isn't interested in that and you'll get much further along in your line of thought. Try a thought experiment. Start with the assumption that God is not trying make either Himself or His Son undeniable. In fact, start with the assumption that He has presented Himself in such a way that He can be denied if someone is so inclined (hmm . . . that might be worth thinking about, too).

Ken
An audible voice from the sky can be denied if someone is so inclined; look at all the Holocaust deniers! We have a record of that event and there are people who still try to deny it happened! Granted none of them are taken seriously and they are perceived as fools; but my point is; absolute proof has never stopped anyone from denying the truth if they are so inclined.

Jac
Work from those assumptions and ask what that would say about God--and more importantly, what it says about us.

Ken
What it tells me about God is that maybe he isn’t all that interested in who worships him or not. But then the bible does says Heaven rejoices over one lost soul who repents; so that can’t be the case, think of how much rejoicing an audible voice from the sky can bring to heaven.
As far as what it might say about us; to me it says nothing about us because it is about what God chooses to do; not us.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I doubt it very much, but there is no use really in talking about ifs buts and maybes, God has revealed himself to us the way he has and he must have good reason for doing so especially since he is omniscient.
Thanks for your perspective

Ken
RickD wrote
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I doubt it very much, but there is no use really in talking about ifs buts and maybes, God has revealed himself to us the way he has and he must have good reason for doing so especially since he is omniscient.
Thanks for your perspective

Ken
Your most welcome, always glad to be of service.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Kenny, to assume that all human beings have the same level of understanding is in my opinion a very weak assumption. Lets say you hear a voice from heaven right now...you come running to me and tell me you heard Jesus say he loves you, and I tell you that you just hallucinated, whats to prove you are right? Some atheists actually believe that people can mass-hallucinate.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

neo-x wrote:Kenny, to assume that all human beings have the same level of understanding is in my opinion a very weak assumption. Lets say you hear a voice from heaven right now...you come running to me and tell me you heard Jesus say he loves you, and I tell you that you just hallucinated, whats to prove you are right? Some atheists actually believe that people can mass-hallucinate.
Technology does not hallucinate. When the media uses modern technology to record the event, all claims of hallucination will become foolish.

Ken
RickD wrote
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

So, Kenny, you want to dictate God what he should do?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart