bible stories

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

bible stories

Post by WannaLearn »

If someone tells you that they believe the bible is just a bunch of stories how do you start to prove them wrong?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: bible stories

Post by RickD »

WannaLearn wrote:If someone tells you that they believe the bible is just a bunch of stories how do you start to prove them wrong?
Maybe you could ask them to give you a specific example. Then do a little research and maybe show them how history agrees with the story.

You need to be careful you're not just getting into an argument with an atheist who isn't open to the truth. If they're not open, there may not be anything you could say that would convince them.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

What if they think all of it is? How was the bible brought up? and how do you know people writing the bible like john and all them weren't making it up?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

WannaLearn wrote:What if they think all of it is? How was the bible brought up? and how do you know people writing the bible like john and all them weren't making it up?
For example, like was said many times on this forum: the stories does not show noble, glorious men, but sinful folks. Then women were witnesses which was not usual those times.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Bigburger
Acquainted Member

Post by Bigburger »

Thats it? thats all you have??
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Nothing wrong with stories, especially since:
\sto·ry1 [stawr-ee, stohr-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural sto·ries.
a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale.
a fictitious tale, shorter and less elaborate than a novel.
such narratives or tales as a branch of literature: song and story.
the plot or succession of incidents of a novel, poem, drama, etc.: The characterizations were good, but the story was weak.
a narration of an incident or a series of events or an example of these that is or may be narrated, as an anecdote, joke, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Bigburger wrote:Thats it? thats all you have??
Sorry, but am just baby Christian (ok, already 2+ years). Not good in this. So, i just wrote few examples.

:baby:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Bigburger
Acquainted Member

Post by Bigburger »

sorry if I came off rude, I just thought there were better answers out there. The bible to me just doesn't seem reliable and is know way of knowing if it was ever true.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

WannaLearn wrote:If someone tells you that they believe the bible is just a bunch of stories how do you start to prove them wrong?
I don't. They wouldn't believe any proof, so why bother? Serious seekers after God don't come out and say ''The Bible is just a bunch of stories written by men''. Nor would they say something along these lines:
Bigburger wrote:The bible to me just doesn't seem reliable and [there] is [no] way of knowing if it was ever true.
Christians would do well to know the difference between a serious enquiry from an honest seeker and a veiled spit-in-the-face from a senseless God-hater.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Bigbooger,

Please change your profile to show that you are not Christian.

Thank You
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

First, Bigburger, I love your username. No idea why, I just love it a lot.

Secondly, you'd be surprised the info you pick up here. Here's some stuff I got from a guy name Bippy, seriously if you are reading a thread by that guy read every single word they are usually packed with info and explained in an easy way.

There once was a man named Sir William Ramsey (if you google it there were two, so double check you get the right one), this guy was an archeologist, and thanks to the time and place he grew up and was educated in he had a very strong antibible bias. Eventually he decided to research the books of Luke and Acts. They go into a lot of detail and should be easily falsifiable. So he went to work.

And worked.

And worked.

And worked.

Eventually he verified most of the book. Every title he got right, even minor events that would have been recorded. For example, a lot of armchair atheists say that there was no way a census would force people to go back to their home town. That it was a stupid idea. Totally verified by this guy in the mid-19th century. So you'd be surprised. Also he converted to Christianity because of his work.

If you want to learn a little more detail here's a link: http://pleaseconvinceme.com/2012/the-ne ... erifiable/ It is a bit biased for Christianity, seems pretty fact based. (What? Biases in either direction should be noted). The site has some other historical apologetics you might want to look into.

As for the miracles, history has a hard time verifying those. Some stuff came up in conversation on the Shroud of Turin thread and, Bippy once again, found some stuff. If you ever read the Bible there is a pretty awesome scene that is overlooked a lot. When Jesus died everything went dark, like an eclipse but there wasn't supposed to be one. http://www.reasonablefaith.org/thallus- ... ss-at-noon
This is recorded by nonChristian sources. Now, the argument does get complicated, but if you end up reading any of it yes the Jewish calendar has changed since the Crucificixion, as far as I know the moon was still located opposite side of the sky like recorded. Also the darkness was recorded in other sources as being out of the ordinary.
Another similar event is the Earthquake. Here's another link http://www.nbcnews.com/id/47555983/ns/t ... 2m7201eFUE
So, yes, there was an Earthquake at about the right time. In fact, some have tried to argue the earthquake caused the image on the Shroud (which is how I first heard of it) (not that I believe the Shroud, that thing is just freaking weird).

So, in summary: We have titles turn out to be accurate, geography turning out be accurate, and it looks like the eclipse and earthquake, at least so far, seem a pretty good chance of being accurate. While we cannot confirm those two 100%, this certainly seems weird.

As to other miracles, they were talked about by the Aposltic Fathers. This is talked about on the mainsite, apparently it was discussed in great detail about what Jesus could actually do and how he did it. Based on the fact that at no point did they feel the need to address whether he did it or not, it certainly seems there were enough eye witness testimonies at the time to say the miracles were real. They did have to argue against him being some sort of Egyptian Wizard of some sort (black magic was more believable to some people, go figure).

So, there is a lot that backs is up. The miracle stuff I know isn't enough to say diddly on their own, but with the ton of work in archaeology backing up the historic facts like politicians and titles it is certainly worth looking into. A lot is backed up by science.

As far as the Old Testament goes: Yeah I got nothing. Its a lot older.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Bigburger wrote:sorry if I came off rude, I just thought there were better answers out there. The bible to me just doesn't seem reliable and is know way of knowing if it was ever true.
Faith is more than just a belief in the book.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks SeekingSancturary for more detailed info. :)

#foreverinmyheart