Isaiah 39 question

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Annonymus
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Isaiah 39 question

Post by Annonymus »

Is Isaiah 39: 6-7 referring to Manasseh, or to Jeconiah and Daniel and his friends?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Isaiah 39 question

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The prophecy was spoken to King Hezekiah (Isa 39:5) and refers to the material possessions of Hezekiah's royal house (v. 6) and the sons born to him; these would be taken to Babylon. A Hebrew Bible has verses 6 & 7 as follows:

6 Behold the days are coming that all there is in thy house and all that thy ancestors have stored up, shall be carried off to Babylon, not a thing shall be left. 7 And of thy sons, that shall proceed from thee, whom thou shalt beget, will they take away, and they will be enuchs in the palace of Babylon.

In the light of this, you have accurately answered your own question:
Annonymus wrote:Is Isaiah 39: 6-7 referring to Manasseh, or to Jeconiah and Daniel and his friends?
All of the above. The prophecy was fulfilled a century later.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Understanding the Bible is easy for the Christian. Easy, unless you assume that it contains some hidden meaning. The minute you swallow the idea that the Bible is full of secret codes, you have given up any chance of understanding Scripture.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Understanding the Bible is easy for the Christian. Easy, unless you assume that it contains some hidden meaning. The minute you swallow the idea that the Bible is full of secret codes, you have given up any chance of understanding Scripture.

FL y~o)
Do you think you understand it all? Just a question.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:Do you think you understand it all? Just a question.
Yes. Most of the Bible is quite clear and easy to understand. For those parts which are more difficult, I look for other passages that will help me understand. A good chain-reference study Bible, a Bible dictionary, a Bible atlas, a topical index and a comprehensive concordance are important tools, as well as my own notes going back years. As RickD says, "It isn't rocket surgery." If you managed to get a Ph.D., you can understand the Bible too.

+ + +

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Yes. Most of the Bible is quite clear and easy to understand. For those parts which are more difficult, I look for other passages that will help me understand. A good chain-reference study Bible, a Bible dictionary, a Bible atlas, a topical index and a comprehensive concordance are important tools, as well as my own notes going back years. As RickD says, "It isn't rocket surgery." If you managed to get a Ph.D., you can understand the Bible too.

Once I was told: beware of people who say they understand it all. :wave:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

Once I was told: beware of people who say they understand it all. :wave:
And fwiw, I was told to beware of French Canadians. Go figure. y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:Once I was told: beware of people who say they understand it all. :wave:
And you believe that? People who interpret the Bible allegorically would say that. Allegorical/mystical interpreters need gurus to tell them what to think.

The Word isn't hidden to believers, it is hidden to unbelievers. Most believers, however, are all too willing to forfeit their understanding of the Bible. In other words, they just don't care what the Bible says, so they claim that it is difficult to understand. This intellectual laziness leaves them as prey for gurus.
RickD wrote: And fwiw, I was told to beware of French Canadians. Go figure. y:-?
You have insulted me once again! Don't you realize that I am one-half Lost Israelite from the Lost tribe of Naphtali? also, my paternal great-grandfather was from the Lost Tribe of Zebulun, and when Jesus partially returned in 70AD to destroy the Temple, He gave one of my ancestors from the Lost Tribe of Asher a secret message for you and for all Floridians:

People of the South
Here is thy punishment for all thy Iniquities!
Draw a Line from Punta Gorda
Across the Great Sea
Okeechobee to Pahokee!
Stretch the Line to Palm Beach
To the South, all This Land I give to the Leech
Yearly invading from the North
Speaking a strange tongue
Having strange customs
Taking over your land.

FL :incense:
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony