Bloody Bride Groom.

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Bloody Bride Groom.

Post by Silvertusk »

Just shows how fascinating the Bible is. Reading through from the beginning I got to this verse.

Exodus 4:24-26
24 At a lodging place on the way, the Lord met Moses and was about to kill him. 25 But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son’s foreskin and touched Moses’ feet with it. “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me,” she said. 26 So the Lord let him alone. (At that time she said “bridegroom of blood,” referring to circumcision.
And then suddenly thought what the ?????

Did a little research and found this fascinating article on it.

http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/ted_hil ... y-bsac.pdf

This serves as almost an embarrassment to Moses - especially the fact that this might have led to a separation of Moses from Zipporah, which gives more credibility to the story.

Just a question that I have puzzled with for ages is - Why circumcision? How did the mutilation of your genitals make you alright with God - Always sounded very barbaric to me.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Bloody Bride Groom.

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I have always wondered about circumcision also, since I am Jewish it has always been in the back of my mind.

I have a few thoughts I would like to share.

The first reason might be hygiene, wandering around in a desert for years without much chance of being able to wash yourself may have presented a problem, think of dirt and sandy grit getting into sensative areas.

Second reason is that the foreskin is more sensative than the glands on the head, so by removing it it greatly reduces sexual pleasure. This may have been done to reduce the pleasure so you could focus more on God, instead of constantly thinking with your little head??? Or maybe it was a form of self sacrifice, giving up some pleasure for God?

Lastly when Jesus came he said he wanted a circumcision of the heart, maybe God was using symbolism to get his point across of sacrifice and a change of heart to his people, but as usual they focused on the practice rather than the meaning of it.

Anyway for the record I am natural and that's the way I want it to stay and I will circumcise my heart instead which I think it what God always wanted and intended for his people.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I have always wondered about circumcision also, since I am Jewish it has always been in the back of my mind.

The first reason might be hygiene, wandering around in a desert for years without much chance of being able to wash yourself may have presented a problem, think of dirt and sandy grit getting into sensative areas.

Second reason is that the foreskin is more sensative than the glands on the head, so by removing it it greatly reduces sexual pleasure. This may have been done to reduce the pleasure so you could focus more on God, instead of constantly thinking with your little head??? Or maybe it was a form of self sacrifice, giving up some pleasure for God?

Lastly when Jesus came he said he wanted a circumcision of the heart, maybe God was using symbolism to get his point across of sacrifice and a change of heart to his people, but as usual they focused on the practice rather than the meaning of it.

Anyway for the record I am natural and that's the way I want it to stay and I will circumcise my heart instead which I think it what God always wanted and intended for his people.

Some interesting ideas there - thanks Dan.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Silvertusk wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I have always wondered about circumcision also, since I am Jewish it has always been in the back of my mind.

Some interesting ideas there - thanks Dan.
I forgot to add, I personally think it was instituted by God for hygiene purposes but he also used it as a symbol with a deep meaning which Christ revealed later.

One thing I was just thinking about while typing this is that I come across a lot of people who say the practice is barbaric etc.. These same people are covered in piercings, tattoos and all manner of other body augmentations, I find it a little perplexing. I myself am neutral, I really don't see the need for it from a hygiene perspective or symbolic perspective.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote: I forgot to add, I personally think it was instituted by God for hygiene purposes but he also used it as a symbol with a deep meaning which Christ revealed later.
I think that there are hygiene purposes for it but I wouldn't entirely base it on that. Also the apostle Paul never spoke against the practice either only that we should concentrate on the circumcision of the heart first. Also it's never done for salvation.
Danieltwotwenty wrote:One thing I was just thinking about while typing this is that I come across a lot of people who say the practice is barbaric etc.. These same people are covered in piercings, tattoos and all manner of other body augmentations, I find it a little perplexing. I myself am neutral, I really don't see the need for it from a hygiene perspective or symbolic perspective.
It isn't just the Jews who practice this.. Many other cultures also do it.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Daniel, were you ever a practicing Jew or was it something that goes back in your heritage.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:
Daniel, were you ever a practicing Jew or was it something that goes back in your heritage.

I am considered an "wayward Jew" since I cannot relinquish my Jewish birth right which is because my my Grandmother is Jewish, but no I have never been a practicing Jew.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote: I forgot to add, I personally think it was instituted by God for hygiene purposes but he also used it as a symbol with a deep meaning which Christ revealed later.
I think that there are hygiene purposes for it but I wouldn't entirely base it on that. Also the apostle Paul never spoke against the practice either only that we should concentrate on the circumcision of the heart first. Also it's never done for salvation.
If you read what I wrote I never said I just based it on hygiene, I said it also was used symbolically which Christ revealed later. I think it is a combination of these two reasons.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I am considered an "wayward Jew" since I cannot relinquish my Jewish birth right which is because my my Grandmother is Jewish, but no I have never been a practicing Jew.
If your mother's mom was Jewish then yes, but if your fathers mother was Jewish then it doesn't fit the rabbinic tradition but you probably already know that..

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I am considered an "wayward Jew" since I cannot relinquish my Jewish birth right which is because my my Grandmother is Jewish, but no I have never been a practicing Jew.
If your mother's mom was Jewish then yes, but if your fathers mother was Jewish then it doesn't fit the rabbinic tradition but you probably already know that..

Yep my mothers natural mother is Jewish (mom was adopted).

I even know the secret handshake. :mrgreen:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:

That works.. Have you ever been attracted to Torah?

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

That works.. Have you ever been attracted to Torah?
Nope, not at all. I am attracted towards Jesus and what he taught. y@};-

I like what Paul wrote about the law in his letters to the Corinthians (I think it was that letter).
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I like what Paul wrote about the law in his letters to the Corinthians (I think it was that letter).
Sorry to hear that... Anyways, good luck with that..

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Sorry to hear that... Anyways, good luck with that..
Your sorry that I find Christ more appealing than the OT law?

I don't need luck when I have God on my side, but I accept the sentiment. y>:D<
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The whole circumcision thing is, well, interesting to say the least.
How does the cutting the skin of the penis of a infant ( or adult male in some cases) make a person part of the convent with God?
Why would God require such a barbaric act?
Why make us with foreskin if we are not to have it?
No one had to do it before Abe, so why was it ok for them?
Etc, etc, etc...

Some scholars say it was, along with the many rituals and laws, to separate the Hebrews from their pagan neighbors, to set them apart from them.
That Muslims and even atheists today still get circumcised in some cultures means that what it MAY have meant, doesn't mean that much anymore in regards to being "set apart" ( if that was the reason).

Personally, I don't give it much thought and, I don't really care about that.