Welcome to Baja

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Welcome to Baja

Post by Lonewolf »

^ ^ are these type of "statues & images" prohibited in the Bible?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Re: Welcome to Baja

Post by Lonewolf »

no comments
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

You basically want to discuss this:
Exodus 20:4-6 ESV
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

I myself am curious what others think.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Lonewolf wrote:Image

Is this Baja Florida or some other place in Florida???

Rick ought to know :lol:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I have no problem with a statue of the Sacred Heart, although I wouldn't put one on my land. Such statues are fairly common in Roman Catholic areas, and the photo may have been taken in Mexico.

I'd much rather see a statue commemorating a Christian saint than a statue of the Buddha or one of Mahatma Ghandi or - worse - the erection of a mosque.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:Image

Is this Baja Florida or some other place in Florida???

Rick ought to know :lol:
-
-
-
Most likely, Baja California. Mexico. The land in the picture is too dry to be Florida.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The fact that it is LAND instead of marsh, bog or swamp is a hint :lol: .
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:The fact that it is LAND instead of marsh, bog or swamp is a hint :lol: .
And a hill. No hills in Florida.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Actually, Rick, there is a MOUNTAIN in Florida: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarloaf_ ... Florida%29
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Back to the topic question..
I have a lot of various answers so far, some good and some not so good. It just surprises me that Christians can be reading the Bible but have different answers for the same question. As far as "idols", it only is idolatry if a person worships the object itself. If it is just for decorative purposes, or a symbolic gesture, or a representation of a character in the Bible, it's totally ok to have these things. An portrait of your parents can be idolatrous if it's worshiped. I think any object can be an idol. If God forbade to have these things made, God wouldn't have commanded Moses to make the ark of the covenant with cherubim decorated on top. Solomon's Holy Temple wouldn't have any images at all either. Having them in the church or not is ok, as long as the focus is on Christ alone.
Deut. 4:15 - from this verse, Protestants say that since we saw "no form" of the Lord, we should not make graven images of Him.

Deut. 4:16 - of course, in early history Israel was forbidden to make images of God because God didn't yet reveal himself visibly "in the form of any figure."

Deut. 4:17-19 - hence, had the Israelites depicted God not yet revealed, they might be tempted to worship Him in the form of a beast, bird, reptile or fish, which was a common error of the times.

Exodus 3:2-3; Dan 7:9; Matt. 3:16; Mark 1:10; Luke 3:22; John 1:32; Acts 2:3- later on, however, we see that God did reveal himself in visible form (as a dove, fire, etc).

Deut. 5:8 - God's commandment "thou shall not make a graven image" is entirely connected to the worship of false gods. God does not prohibit images to be used in worship, but He prohibits the images themselves to be worshiped.

Exodus 25:18-22; 26:1,31 - for example, God commands the making of the image of a golden cherubim. This heavenly image, of course, is not worshiped by the Israelites. Instead, the image disposes their minds to the supernatural and draws them to God.

Num. 21:8-9 - God also commands the making of the bronze serpent. The image of the bronze serpent is not an idol to be worshiped, but an article that lifts the mind to the supernatural.

I Kings 6:23-36; 7:27-39; 8:6-67 - Solomon's temple contains statues of cherubim and images of cherubim, oxen and lions. God did not condemn these images that were used in worship.

2 Kings 18:4 - it was only when the people began to worship the statue did they incur God's wrath, and the king destroyed it. The command prohibiting the use of graven images deals exclusively with the false worship of those images.

1 Chron. 28:18-19 - David gives Solomon the plan for the altar made of refined gold with a golden cherubim images. These images were used in the Jews' most solemn place of worship.

2 Chron. 3:7-14 - the house was lined with gold with elaborate cherubim carved in wood and overlaid with gold.

Ezek. 41:15 - Ezekiel describes graven images in the temple consisting of carved likenesses of cherubim. These are similar to the images of the angels and saints in many Catholic churches.

Col. 1:15 - the only image of God that Catholics worship is Jesus Christ, who is the "image" (Greek "eikon") of the invisible God.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lonewolf wrote:Back to the topic question..
You are quoting plenty of OT passages which forbid the making of images of God, etc. If you are Jewish, you would do well to heed them. If you are Christian, you may voluntarily place yourself under the OT injunctions against graven images, or you may just decide to have a statue of Jesus, Mary & Joseph on your front lawn. The choice is yours: you have that freedom.

Do you think God will send you to hell because you erect a statue?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Its funny that we have that prohibition from Exodus:
Exodus 20:4-6 ESV
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

YET God commanded that they put two Cherubs on the ark...

I think the context is that they were not to make and worship ANY image because worship is for God alone.
Now, with the images of Christ and the cross, people are worshiping and bowing down to who? The Son of God who is fully God.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

PaulSacramento wrote: I think the context is that they were not to make and worship ANY image because worship is for God alone.
Now, with the images of Christ and the cross, people are worshiping and bowing down to who? The Son of God who is fully God.
:samen:
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Reminds me of the old Bruce Lee quote about concentrating on the finger pointing to the moon and missing all the heavenly glory it is pointing to.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Proinsias wrote:Reminds me of the old Bruce Lee quote about concentrating on the finger pointing to the moon and missing all the heavenly glory it is pointing to.
I quote that I use a lot, even in reference to the Bible.