Website called Bible and science

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Annonymus
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Website called Bible and science

Post by Annonymus »

I found this website called Bible and Science, and the seem to believe the Bible isn't scientifically accurate. I'm worried, so could someone please tell me if what the following articles say is true or not?

http://www.bibleandscience.com/bible/bo ... hedout.htm

http://www.bibleandscience.com/science/ ... cience.htm
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Website called Bible and science

Post by Philip »

Anonymous, while I won't go throught all in these links, the board of the referenced site states that they have a variety of views amongst them as it relates to Science and the Bible. And they rightly point out that the Bible is not a science book, nor was it meant to be one. Also true, as they assert, both young and old earth creationists try to read their individual views of science into their interpretations of various Scriptural passages - many that likely have no scientifically meant meanings. And that is a huge mistake. For instance, as much as I admire much of the Old Earth, progressive Creationist writings of Hugh Ross and Reasons to Believe, I do recognize that these guys do not have the proper training or understanding of the Bible's original languages or theology - they are scientists largely working off of English translations. Same is true for many YEC science assertions. And let's not forget that it's not just the wordings and what the Scriptural texts tell us that we may or may not have correct, depending upon one's viewpoints, but God clearly didn't tell us everything. And there are things that might better explain things we presently speculate on that God did not provide us answers for. Indeed, sometimes He operates on a "need to know" basis. Ourfaith shouldn't be dependent upon being able to explain or understand everything, as there are likely many, many things we likely have wrong and many that we may never understand in our mortal shells - both scientifically and theologically speaking.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

But I do know that our own sweet Bippy will go crazy when he reads what the site has to say about the Shroud of Turin: http://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeol ... dturin.htm
Annonymus
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Annonymus »

Philip wrote:Anonymous, while I won't go throught all in these links, the board of the referenced site states that they have a variety of views amongst them as it relates to Science and the Bible. And they rightly point out that the Bible is not a science book, nor was it meant to be one. Also true, as they assert, both young and old earth creationists try to read their individual views of science into their interpretations of various Scriptural passages - many that likely have no scientifically meant meanings. And that is a huge mistake. For instance, as much as I admire much of the Old Earth, progressive Creationist writings of Hugh Ross and Reasons to Believe, I do recognize that these guys do not have the proper training or understanding of the Bible's original languages or theology - they are scientists largely working off of English translations. Same is true for many YEC science assertions. And let's not forget that it's not just the wordings and what the Scriptural texts tell us that we may or may not have correct, depending upon one's viewpoints, but God clearly didn't tell us everything. And there are things that might better explain things we presently speculate on that God did not provide us answers for. Indeed, sometimes He operates on a "need to know" basis. Ourfaith shouldn't be dependent upon being able to explain or understand everything, as there are likely many, many things we likely have wrong and many that we may never understand in our mortal shells - both scientifically and theologically speaking.
So, why do you believe in the Day-Age theory?
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Well said Philip, I agree.
Annonymus no need for worry. The bible was never designed to be a scientific guide. The site your referring to states "the bible is inspired by God so that is profitable for instruction in righteousness not instruction in science" and that is correct. It is merely pointing out that some verses have been used to explain science as we understand it now, but perhaps those verses were mis-interpreted to suit a scientific understanding and never it's intended meaning, especially when taking verses from psalms which uses more poetic language.
Some people claim that bible has hidden messages, others that there are many scientific clues and details about ancient technology that can be found within the bible by a discerning eye, they may be right, but as far as I can see the bible is clear is it's message and what we are to learn from it, all the rest is speculation and interpretation. As Christians we have more than enough written within the Bible to sustain our spirits and help us on our path to God. Jesus is our greatest teacher, He gives us the words and teachings to bring salvation into our lives. 'Love God with all your heart, mind and soul and love others unconditionally' and know that the only path to the Father is through The Son. That is the knowledge our spirits need to know, it is the way home, into Our Father's kingdom. Everything and anything else is for stimulation of the mind, which of course we need, we are by human nature intellectual but too many people seek wisdom of the intellectual variety from scripture not wisdom of the spiritual variety which is essential. Our spirits do not need to thirst we have the everlasting spring, that is why we have the Bible, so that we may know how to never be thirsty.
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

The Bible is the only scientific book that I trust.
I test every scientific 'thing or theory' by the Bible.
Science has yet to beat what the Bible teaches on about 40 topics.

For example, science cannot explain why the sun is cooler below the surface, and that its hottest spots are the flares as they leave the surface of the sun and increase in temperature as they expand into space.

As far as the Bible is concerned, it even claims that the sun can be switched off and on again, can be darkened, can be suddenly hotter than average, can vary in brightness, can be moved out of its position and return again, and so on.

They cannot give a correct answer as to what causes it to burn. Scientists first reckoned it was timber, then wax, then electricity, then atomic power, then hydrogen bomb power, notice a pattern?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Starhunter wrote:The Bible is the only scientific book that I trust.
I test every scientific 'thing or theory' by the Bible.
Science has yet to beat what the Bible teaches on about 40 topics.

For example, science cannot explain why the sun is cooler below the surface, and that its hottest spots are the flares as they leave the surface of the sun and increase in temperature as they expand into space.

As far as the Bible is concerned, it even claims that the sun can be switched off and on again, can be darkened, can be suddenly hotter than average, can vary in brightness, can be moved out of its position and return again, and so on.

They cannot give a correct answer as to what causes it to burn. Scientists first reckoned it was timber, then wax, then electricity, then atomic power, then hydrogen bomb power, notice a pattern?
Please, can you offer links for your scientific claims?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 094608.htm

I have made claims which are not scientific, but they're in the Bible and nature, not in peer reviewed/recognized material.

Scientists have stared at the sun for decades, and are only just beginning to have doubts about their long held theories, many of which are plain rubbish.

Their latest crack at the theory about the hotter corona of the sun, boils down to the idea that they believe that the energy is somehow stored in magnetism,
which is related, but totally inefficient to explain the extra heat.

Energy is stored on and below the sun's surface, and magnetism is a byproduct of this stored energy, which is too vast to be stored as relatively very weak sources of magnetism.

...the biggest lie is that the sun is dying.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Starhunter wrote:
I hope you're not serious.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Starhunter wrote:

Rick: I hope you're not serious.
Starhunter, just because God sometimes works supernaturally, don't assume that He doesn't MOSTLY - at least as we can observe and detect - also work through the mechanisms and parameters of the laws of physics, chemistry, thermodynamics that HE put in place to govern the universe. Whenever God supercedes these laws, that is, He works supernaturally, He is working outside of those laws. But they are HIS laws and they are what we observe most consistently. EVERY time I try to dunk a basketball, I realize that gravity is a barrier. :roll:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:

Starhunter wrote:

Rick: I hope you're not serious.
Starhunter, just because God sometimes works supernaturally, don't assume that He doesn't MOSTLY - at least as we can observe and detect - also work through the mechanisms and parameters of the laws of physics, chemistry, thermodynamics that HE put in place to govern the universe. Whenever God supercedes these laws, that is, He works supernaturally, He is working outside of those laws. But they are HIS laws and they are what we observe most consistently. EVERY time I try to dunk a basketball, I realize that gravity is a barrier. :roll:
Philip,

I hate to tell you it's not gravity that's keeping you from dunking a basketball. You're old and white. Two things not working in your favor. :mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip, I hate to tell you it's not gravity that's keeping you from dunking a basketball. You're old and white. Two things not working in your favor. :mrgreen:
Richard, I have tried the tanning bed and it added nothing to my vertical leap. And "Old" is merely a relative term :ebiggrin: .

I am just six feet. I played a lot of basketball, well into my early 30s. At best, I could once almost touch the rim. But I used to see some guys my size and even a bit shorter - yes, WHITE guys - that could get above the rim. It has to do with natural ability, athleticism and genetics. But not JUST genetics.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Philip, I hate to tell you it's not gravity that's keeping you from dunking a basketball. You're old and white. Two things not working in your favor. :mrgreen:
Richard, I have tried the tanning bed and it added nothing to my vertical leap. And "Old" is merely a relative term :ebiggrin: .

I am just six feet. I played a lot of basketball, well into my early 30s. At best, I could once almost touch the rim. But I used to see some guys my size and even a bit shorter - yes, WHITE guys - that could get above the rim. It has to do with natural ability, athleticism and genetics. But not JUST genetics.
Ok, so you're old, white, and an unathletic geek. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ok, so you're old, white, and an unathletic geek. :pound:
Well, let's just say that this Scots-Irish flesh doesn't do sun particularly well and my "explosive" first step is nowadays mostly going towards the refrigerator. :lol:
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

Phil wrote
How do you apply this to the cause of the sun burning?