Reconciling the John 3 with John 6

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Reconciling the John 3 with John 6

Post by PaulSacramento »

How do we reconcile John 3:16
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

With John 6:52-58
52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.”
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Reconciling the John 3 with John 6

Post by RickD »

What are you having a problem reconciling?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:What are you having a problem reconciling?
One states that belief is all that is required (3:16) and the other that states we must "eat the flesh and drink the blood", ( what some view as a commandment to partake of the Lords's Supper and only those that partake will have eternal life).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
One states that belief is all that is required (3:16) and the other that states we must "eat the flesh and drink the blood", ( what some view as a commandment to partake of the Lords's Supper and only those that partake will have eternal life).
I guess you have to figure out what this means:
54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
Does it mean literally eating Christ's flesh, and literally drinking his blood? Is it symbolic of something, just like water baptism is symbolic? Is whatever eating and drinking symbolizes, what is necessary for eternal life? Or perhaps Catholicism is correct, and literally eating and drinking is necessary for salvation?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
I guess you have to figure out what this means:
54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
Does it mean literally eating Christ's flesh, and literally drinking his blood? Is it symbolic of something, just like water baptism is symbolic? Is whatever eating and drinking symbolizes, what is necessary for eternal life? Or perhaps Catholicism is correct, and literally eating and drinking is necessary for salvation?
I think we all agree that it doesn't mean the literal eating of His flesh and drinking of His blood. BUT the issue is IF the symbolic act of the last supper ( eating the unleavened bread and drinking of the wine) is something we MUST or at least SHOULD do to get eternal life.
Those verses in John 6 certainly seem to state that quite explicitly.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
I think we all agree that it doesn't mean the literal eating of His flesh and drinking of His blood.
Plenty of Catholics would beg to differ.
BUT the issue is IF the symbolic act of the last supper ( eating the unleavened bread and drinking of the wine) is something we MUST or at least SHOULD do to get eternal life.
To me, communion is a remembrance of what Christ did for us. I really don't see how participation or not, has anything to do with salvation.

So I guess I'd say that I have no problem reconciling those verses.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
I think we all agree that it doesn't mean the literal eating of His flesh and drinking of His blood.
Plenty of Catholics would beg to differ.
BUT the issue is IF the symbolic act of the last supper ( eating the unleavened bread and drinking of the wine) is something we MUST or at least SHOULD do to get eternal life.
To me, communion is a remembrance of what Christ did for us. I really don't see how participation or not, has anything to do with salvation.

So I guess I'd say that I have no problem reconciling those verses.
I mean we are not literal eating flesh and drinking blood, that is cannibalism.

The thing is Rick, that John states that Jesus said that unless you do eat of the flesh and drink of the blood, you do NOT have eternal life, so...
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

I don't see a problem. His blood was spilled and his flesh was torn on the cross. To "Drink" his blood and "Eat" his flesh is to receive the fruits of crucifixion. Its kind of like drinking living water, we don't actually drink water.

Just my 2 cents.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

SeekingSanctuary wrote:I don't see a problem. His blood was spilled and his flesh was torn on the cross. To "Drink" his blood and "Eat" his flesh is to receive the fruits of crucifixion. Its kind of like drinking living water, we don't actually drink water.

Just my 2 cents.

Yup.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

SeekingSanctuary wrote:I don't see a problem. His blood was spilled and his flesh was torn on the cross. To "Drink" his blood and "Eat" his flesh is to receive the fruits of crucifixion. Its kind of like drinking living water, we don't actually drink water.

Just my 2 cents.
So what do you think those verses in John 6 mean?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
Even if one doesn't take John 6 to point to the literal presence in the Eucharist (and I see no warrant whatsoever to do so), at a minimum the text is pointing to the Lord's Supper as an integral part of the life of a Christian.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
Even if one doesn't take John 6 to point to the literal presence in the Eucharist (and I see no warrant whatsoever to do so), at a minimum the text is pointing to the Lord's Supper as an integral part of the life of a Christian.
I think we all agree on that part BUT what of those that believe that without partaking there is no eternal life?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
I think we all agree on that part BUT what of those that believe that without partaking there is no eternal life?
Then Lord help them. Even the Catholic Church teaches of only the moral, not absolute necessity of receiving communion.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
Then Lord help them. Even the Catholic Church teaches of only the moral, not absolute necessity of receiving communion.
Indeed, BUT how to reconcile what John wrote then?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:How do we reconcile John 3:16
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

With John 6:52-58
52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.”
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys