Rev 21:8 medicine a sin?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Rev 21:8 medicine a sin?

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Because of what the translation have and the Greek is connected with how we got pharmacy it's a sin.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Rev 21:8 medicine a sin?

Post by RickD »

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Not sure where you see anything relating to medicine. Are you referring to "those who practice magic arts" or sorcerers? That's the greek word φαρμακεύς (pharmakeus).
Cognate: 5332 pharmakeús – a person using drug-based incantations or drugging religious enchantments; a pharmakeus-practitioner who "mixes up distorted religious potions" like a sorcerer-magician. They try to "work their magic" by performing pseudo "supernatural" stunts, weaving illusions about the Christian life to use "powerful" religious formulas ("incantations") that manipulate the Lord into granting more temporal gifts (especially "invincible health and wealth"). This has a "drugging" effect on the aspiring religious zealot, inducing them to think they have "special spiritual powers" (that do not operate in keeping with Scripture). See 5331 (pharmakeía).
http://biblehub.com/greek/5332.htm

See the difference between a sorcerer, and someone who uses medicine?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Rev 21:8 medicine a sin?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Revelations 9:21 "Neither repented they of their murders,nor of their sorceries,nor of their fornication,nor of their thefts. The word "sorceries" in here is the greek word "Pharmakeus" which is where we get the term "Pharmacy" from. However I don't think this is telling us we cannot take medicine as this seems to be drug addicts.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.