Non-intelligent supreme X

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Non-intelligent supreme X

Post by 1over137 »

This thread is continuation of started talk on non-intelligent supreme X here http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 78#p165870
Quotes from the thread:
Most atheists I know claim that the universe has blindly created and the thing is...their arguments are, for the most part, pretty logical. So I keep wobbling between theism and atheism...
the atheists I'm talking about are more intelligent than...than that! From their point of view, the universe isn't the supreme force, since it had a beginning. They claim that a supreme force - it has no name, but you can call it X, to make things easier - created both our universe and the laws of physics which operate inside our universe.
And that X was always here with its laws/ways to create universe?
Probably, since it is the supreme force.
And now my question: What logical arguments do they have?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No

Re: Non-intelligent supreme X

Post by MBPrata »

What logical arguments do they have?
Before I answer, allow me to say this: some of them wish they had no arguments. Actually, "arguments" aren't actually that important for them, they just wish they had no reasons to think there's no God. Just saying!

Moving on...they have a whole list of logical arguments, most of which are based in the (apparent) lack of logic on God's thought. As in...let's say God wanted to create a universe in which humans could live and use their free will with the objective of accepting or rejecting God. Obviously, since God invent all the rules that operate inside the universe, He could have chosen ANY possible way those rules would apply. In so being, it's hard to understand this like these: Why would God

- Create the whole universe from a ridiculously small point, which could lead humans to think the beginning of the universe implied simplicity, not complexity?
- "Build" humans with the exact same material used to build the whole universe (i.e, atoms, particles and all that stuff), which could lead them to think they had the same value of everything in the universe?
- Allow mental illnesses, which clearly interfere with the whole use-your-free-will-to-choose-God-or-reject-God thing?
- Allow humans to die before a certain age, which interferes with the exact same thing?
- Allow animals to hunt and eat humans as if they were some chicken, which could lead them to think they were as animals as any other animal?
- Allow humans to rot like any regular animal and plant, which could lead them to think hey were as animals as any other animal?
- And why, oh why would He allow extraordinary coincidences to happen, which is WAY likely to make humans think intelligence is not obligatory to create a complex situation/monument/piece of art/whatever

Actually, I myself have talked about some of these lacks of logic in this topic: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 33&t=39825. Which is natural, since these lacks of logic are the main thing that keep me away from believing in the God of the Bible. Yes, even more than the spontaneous creation theory.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

These are essentially all philosophical questions on why, and not on the how, which indicates they aren't scientific questions at all.

To question the 'logic' of something, then one needs to have a context for logic. Why should anything be logical at all, and why is it that we can ask logical questions about our existence? One must presume logic to ask these questions.

Just because someone can ask 'why' and question the logic of something, doesn't mean there isn't a compatibly logical answer. In fact, one must presuppose that the universe was created for 'thinking humans' to ask such questions.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
MBPrata
Established Member

Post by MBPrata »

These are essentially all philosophical questions on why, and not on the how, which indicates they aren't scientific questions at all.
Allow me to disagree: not philosophical questions; questions on logic. Besides...so what? Did I say I wanted to question on science?
One must presume logic to ask these questions.
If we don't assume that God has a logical thought, then no Bible will save us; He will choose who goes to Heaven or Hell with no logic whatsoever. We're absolutely helpless.
Just because someone can ask 'why' and question the logic of something, doesn't mean there isn't a compatibly logical answer.
Yes, but if the answers were that logical, it's likely that we would have no problem on guessing these answers, right?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Atheists are in Denial of their faith,they look to science and man for validation of their atheistic beliefs,they are fully willing to put their faith in man,not realizing how unwise this is because man has been wrong so many times throughout history whether he believed in God or not.Some atheists think science already has an answer yet other ones realize not yet.Still they look to science and man for answers.It makes it easier to reject God when they mock God and his word and God's people and say God is evil,twisting the bible out of context.Yet they are just as decieved as people in false religions.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:This thread is continuation of started talk on non-intelligent supreme X here http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 78#p165870
Quotes from the thread:
Most atheists I know claim that the universe has blindly created and the thing is...their arguments are, for the most part, pretty logical. So I keep wobbling between theism and atheism...
the atheists I'm talking about are more intelligent than...than that! From their point of view, the universe isn't the supreme force, since it had a beginning. They claim that a supreme force - it has no name, but you can call it X, to make things easier - created both our universe and the laws of physics which operate inside our universe.
I think the only practical answer an Atheist could give is to admit he doesn’t know. But if an Atheist wants to believe the Universe was actually created, and was created by something he calls "X", it doesn’t necessarily follow that this "X" is intelligent, powerful, good, forgiving, and all the other adjectives that are attributed to the Christian God.

Just as the creation of a Coral Reef doesn’t require an intelligent creator with all of those adjectives; maybe the creation of the Universe doesn’t either.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
MBPrata
Established Member

Post by MBPrata »

Atheists are in Denial of their faith,they look to science and man for validation of their atheistic beliefs,they are fully willing to put their faith in man,not realizing how unwise this is because man has been wrong so many times throughout history whether he believed in God or not.
Most atheists I know put their faith in man not because they fully believe in man, but because they say that's the only way to be happy in the "real world". They do realize man is not perfect, but he's everything they have.
Some atheists think science already has an answer yet other ones realize not yet.
What answer are you talking about? Just for the record, spontaneous creation is an answer. Whether it is right or not, that's another story, but it is totally an answer.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

MBPrata wrote:
Before I answer, allow me to say this: some of them wish they had no arguments. Actually, "arguments" aren't actually that important for them, they just wish they had no reasons to think there's no God. Just saying!

Moving on...they have a whole list of logical arguments, most of which are based in the (apparent) lack of logic on God's thought. As in...let's say God wanted to create a universe in which humans could live and use their free will with the objective of accepting or rejecting God. Obviously, since God invent all the rules that operate inside the universe, He could have chosen ANY possible way those rules would apply. In so being, it's hard to understand this like these: Why would God

- Create the whole universe from a ridiculously small point, which could lead humans to think the beginning of the universe implied simplicity, not complexity?
- "Build" humans with the exact same material used to build the whole universe (i.e, atoms, particles and all that stuff), which could lead them to think they had the same value of everything in the universe?
- Allow mental illnesses, which clearly interfere with the whole use-your-free-will-to-choose-God-or-reject-God thing?
- Allow humans to die before a certain age, which interferes with the exact same thing?
- Allow animals to hunt and eat humans as if they were some chicken, which could lead them to think they were as animals as any other animal?
- Allow humans to rot like any regular animal and plant, which could lead them to think hey were as animals as any other animal?
- And why, oh why would He allow extraordinary coincidences to happen, which is WAY likely to make humans think intelligence is not obligatory to create a complex situation/monument/piece of art/whatever

Actually, I myself have talked about some of these lacks of logic in this topic: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 33&t=39825. Which is natural, since these lacks of logic are the main thing that keep me away from believing in the God of the Bible. Yes, even more than the spontaneous creation theory.
It seems to me that since they do not find logic for this world they go on to say that the world was blindly created by some unintelligent X. They do not see any meaning for this world.

Now to your points:
1. I do not understand where the problem is in your simplicity/complexity point.
I would like to also add that it is amazing how relatively small set of physics laws is responsible for the working of the universe. For me it points to a Law-giver. Law-giver that likes symmetries and mathematical beauty.
2. To your next four points. It all shows me that we do live in a fallen world. Good that you do not like this fallen world.
And to say more: God is merciful, loving, just, righteous. And you do not really know what happened to those ill and dead people. Sorry for being very brief now.
3. To your last point: can you give an example of such coincidence?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

1over137 wrote:This thread is continuation of started talk on non-intelligent supreme X here http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 78#p165870
Quotes from the thread:
I dont personally recall ever making such statements or arguments, which seem dim witted to me.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

MBPrata wrote:
Atheists are in Denial of their faith,they look to science and man for validation of their atheistic beliefs,they are fully willing to put their faith in man,not realizing how unwise this is because man has been wrong so many times throughout history whether he believed in God or not.

Most atheists I know put their faith in man
not because they fully believe in man, but because they say that's the only way to be happy in the "real world". They do realize man is not perfect, but he's everything they have.
Some atheists think science already has an answer yet other ones realize not yet.
What answer are you talking about? Just for the record, spontaneous creation is an answer. Whether it is right or not, that's another story, but it is totally an answer.

What do you mean, "put their faith in man"?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

1over137 wrote:
MBPrata wrote:

It seems to me that since they do not find logic for this world they go on to say that the world was blindly created by some unintelligent X. They do not see any meaning for this world.

Now to your points:
1. I do not understand where the problem is in your simplicity/complexity point.
I would like to also add that it is amazing how relatively small set of physics laws is responsible for the working of the universe. For me it points to a Law-giver. Law-giver that likes symmetries and mathematical beauty.
2. To your next four points. It all shows me that we do live in a fallen world. Good that you do not like this fallen world.
And to say more: God is merciful, loving, just, righteous. And you do not really know what happened to those ill and dead people. Sorry for being very brief now.
3. To your last point: can you give an example of such coincidence?

I wonder what you mean "logic for this world"?

i dont guess I know what you mean by "meaning for this world" either.

Like.. I can look at a waterfall, and pretty much know what is going on, but I dont seek
"meaning" in it..what "meaning" could it have?

I dont seem to understand this usage of words, regarding logic and meaning.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

MBPrata wrote:
Allow me to disagree: not philosophical questions; questions on logic. Besides...so what? Did I say I wanted to question on science?
One must presume logic to ask these questions.
If we don't assume that God has a logical thought, then no Bible will save us; He will choose who goes to Heaven or Hell with no logic whatsoever. We're absolutely helpless.
Just because someone can ask 'why' and question the logic of something, doesn't mean there isn't a compatibly logical answer.
Yes, but if the answers were that logical, it's likely that we would have no problem on guessing these answers, right?
Fine. Then provide an objective context for logic.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Audie, I meant basically the 'why' questions. Why universe is? Why we are here?
Some people do not see any purpose for people to exist, universe to exist. They imagine that if some intelligent X created the universe, the universe would be 'intelligent'. I imagine they imagine that the intelligent world would be without suffering, killing, death. I do not know what else they require for an intelligent creator but MBPrata gave some more insight into it.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

MBPrata wrote: - "Build" humans with the exact same material used to build the whole universe (i.e, atoms, particles and all that stuff), which could lead them to think they had the same value of everything in the universe?
I missed this one before.

Well, I do not know what other "material" would be better to use. We need to eat, we need to touch things. We need to interact with particles and atoms from this world.
We are part of the creation. We were to take care of the creation, take care of the garden.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Why would God

Why wouldn't He ??