The evil within us

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The evil within us

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I was reading something someone wrote today and it really struck a chord with me, I have quoted it below.
That's the thing with "evil". People try to make it into some kind of magical substance that only certain people have. It allows them to think "Oh, I would never do things like that. I'm not capable of it. I'm a good person. Only evil people do things like that, people who have evil inside them."

That is not what evil is. The root of evil is becoming so locked into your own personal beliefs about reality that you start seeing it as reality. You start thinking you have what's Absolutely Right and Absolutely True, so you then feel justified in harming or punishing other beings for being "wrong".

Watch the movie Downfall. It's about Hitler's last days in a bunker in Berlin. There was such discomfort in Germany about that movie, for many understandable and valid reasons, but one of the most interesting reasons was because no one wanted to admit that Hitler was actually a human being. It's much more comfortable to think he was a monster, completely insane, because that way we don't have to see the Hitler inside each of us. It's not that the film portrays him as a good person, just that it shows he was a person. A crazy, deluded person...but a person. And a person any of us can become if we too become totally convinced that we are RIGHT, and everyone else is WRONG, and dammit we will KILL THEM if they don't get with the program! That impulse is inside all of us, it's just a matter of how each of us address that emotion.
Reddit

We all do this on one level or another (myself included), the West Boro Baptist Church is an extreme example of this type of behaviour, it also exists within the creation debate (or any opposing theologies for that matter) but is a softer example of this behaviour (if there is such a thing as softer when it comes to evil), even atheists are guilty of this behaviour (many want religion eradicated). It does not discriminate, it exists within all of us, we judge and condemn based on it and we think our own proverbial don't stink.

Anyway just something I thought I would throw out there.

Cheers
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: The evil within us

Post by Kurieuo »

And a person any of us can become if we too become totally convinced that we are RIGHT, and everyone else is WRONG, and dammit we will KILL THEM if they don't get with the program! That impulse is inside all of us, it's just a matter of how each of us address that emotion.
Well, this sounds like the bulk off my marriage problems summed up right there.
I eventually cave in and get with the program though. I know when to give in and say I'm wrong.
It's how I've been able to survive until this day. :jumping:

Truth is often offensive. If you don't offend, then it could be that maybe you have nothing worth listening to.

I'm of the old mentality that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
That is, unless you are in a marriage.... or burn the words of the Koran -- then you're in big trouble!
:poke:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

A question: would you yourself kill Hitler to rescue other poeple?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:A question: would you yourself kill Hitler to rescue other poeple?
Well no, that would make me just like him, would it not?

I might try to show him Christ instead.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kurieuo wrote: I'm of the old mentality that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
That is, unless you are in a marriage.... or burn the words of the Koran -- then you're in big trouble!
:poke:
I think the problem lies in that it may start with words, but then it festers and grows and suddenly the person is Hitler.

So while sticks and stones don't hurt (bad mouthing Jews) it will grow into something more horrific (holocaust).

There are hundreds of examples in the world and even within the Church (witch burnings).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:A question: would you yourself kill Hitler to rescue other poeple?
I thought hitler was already dead? :shock:

Are you saying that he is vacationing somewhere with Elvis?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

They`re both staying with Lord Lucan looking after Shergar.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I don't think that would work. Hitler didn't speak english.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

He's had time to learn.

Anyway, to answer this question,
Why not? If God directed one to do so, why not?

Adherents of the Social Gospel don't seem to understand that Christians are not here to make the world a better place. Indeed, that would be impossible, as the Bible makes clear. There are no good people in Heaven; all good people die and go to Hell. Heaven is a place for repentant sinners. Think that over!

Christians are here to witness to what Christ as done for us.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

He's had time to learn.

Anyway, to answer this question,
Why not? If God directed one to do so, why not?

Adherents of the Social Gospel don't seem to understand that Christians are not here to make the world a better place. Indeed, that would be impossible, as the Bible makes clear. There are no good people in Heaven; all good people die and go to Hell. Heaven is a place for repentant sinners. Think that over!

Christians are here to witness to what Christ as done for us.
So you would preach the gospel to hitler too? I think hitler did speak French. Just think FL, you could've changed the world!
I would've loved to have a chat with old Adolph. He was probably a really nice guy. Once you got to know him. He's probably just misunderstood. You know, bad childhood. Lack of a father figure. Domineering mother.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

To answer the question would I kill Hitler to save people?

Personally, no. I don`t think I could kill anyone. In my eyes it would make me no better than the person I was to kill. I don`t think I have any right to take a life, for any reason.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

On a side note, I just read something interesting. It seems hitler was a high school drop out at the age of 16.

So let that be a lesson to all you kids. One can still be successful without a high school diploma!!

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:To answer the question would I kill Hitler to save people?

Personally, no. I don`t think I could kill anyone. In my eyes it would make me no better than the person I was to kill. I don`t think I have any right to take a life, for any reason.
Hmmmm y:-?

For any reason?

Not even to protect the lives of your family, if it was necessary?

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I`ve wrestled with that one for a long time Rick. I don`t honestly know, and I hope I never have to find out. I like to think that I would do anything to protect my family but I honestly don`t know if I could take a life. What right do I have? If I kill someone to protect my family, does that make it right? If it does, then why? Surely killing is killing no matter the intent behind it? How do I know that killing someone to protect my family is just?

My gut feeling is that I couldn`t live with myself if I took a life, I think only God has that right.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:I`ve wrestled with that one for a long time Rick. I don`t honestly know, and I hope I never have to find out. I like to think that I would do anything to protect my family but I honestly don`t know if I could take a life. What right do I have? If I kill someone to protect my family, does that make it right? If it does, then why? Surely killing is killing no matter the intent behind it? How do I know that killing someone to protect my family is just?

My gut feeling is that I couldn`t live with myself if I took a life, I think only God has that right.
Sure Annette. It's not an easy question.

I know that I'd have absolutely no problem doing anything necessary to protect my family.

Some people can go to war and kill. Others can't.

-Edward R Murrow