confused with Gnosticism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

confused with Gnosticism

Post by WannaLearn »

http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/the ... html#page3

I am a little confused with what this website is trying to say and wouldn't know how to come about disproving this interesting theory. Would like some of your interpretation on as how to reply to someone who holds this belief very firm. Thanks
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: confused with Gnosticism

Post by PaulSacramento »

Wow, were cna one start?
They interprete the bible incorrectly, saw others do that, then set themselves out to show THAT interpretation ( which is theirs) is incorrect.

ex:
A God that looks like a man created the earth and the rest of the universe in six days, less than ten thousand years ago. He rested on the seventh. He then created man and woman (Adam and Eve), and they lived happily in the Garden of Eden. The problem was that he also created an angel that turned on him. The angel, disguised as a snake, talked Eve into talking Adam into eating some fruit that God told them not to eat. Adam took a bite, so God kicked them out of paradise and cursed them and all of their descendants, including us.
Nowhere does it say or any orthodox Christian denomination believe that:
God look like a man.

While some ( a minority view worldwide) believe God created the universe in 6 days ( though most believe that applies to the Earth more so than the universe) 6000 or so years ago, the majority do NOT read Genesis that way.
He did NOT rest and THEN create Adam and Eve.
The Satan did not turn on God per say, at least not in the beginning, but on humans.
God did not curse Adam and Eve ( He cursed the ground) but they did lose their immortality ( they were immortal as long as they stayed in Eden OR if they ate of the fruit of eternal life, which they were not allowed to eat) and so did all their descendants and the rest of mankind.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

My point being is that the vast majority of these "fringe groups" translate and interpre the bible the WRONG way on purpose, then say those are the teachings of orthodoxy then refute heir very own mistaken views as some how proof they are right.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I actually carried on reading for a bit. I disagree with a lot of it but there were a few interesting ideas.

Parts of it reminded me of the book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Storyteller wrote:I actually carried on reading for a bit. I disagree with a lot of it but there were a few interesting ideas.

One of the worse possible views to have is to believe that somehow WE have the power over our own salvation OR that there is a hidden and secret way to God.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I actually carried on reading for a bit. I disagree with a lot of it but there were a few interesting ideas.

One of the worse possible views to have is to believe that somehow WE have the power over our own salvation OR that there is a hidden and secret way to God.
Agreed.

I just found some bits interesting, how something with a grain of truth can be developed.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

Everything seems to be reasonable to a certain degree but where does the lie come in place ? What I attain from this information is that they are using parts of the bible or what Jesus has spoken through the bible to twist it into validating their own theory on life. For someone who holds this as a strong belief how would you persuade them otherwise?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

WannaLearn wrote:http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/the ... html#page3

I am a little confused with what this website is trying to say and wouldn't know how to come about disproving this interesting theory. Would like some of your interpretation on as how to reply to someone who holds this belief very firm. Thanks
Send him here, and we'll set him straight!

Seriously,

There's way too many errors in that first article alone, for you to deal with. You'll just be overwhelmed.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony